Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: in the old day

Distinguished Community Member

Default in the old day

http://www.virtualnewarknj.com/memor...guestflats.htm

Cold Water Flats
    By Guestbook Collective

Nicky G.:
    I don't know how many were poor in the old day, but did anybody live in a cold water flat? We would take a bath on Saturday because that was the only day my mother would heat up the water. The rest of the time we would go to the public baths. Mine was on Morris Ave. I'm only talking about the poor people now. By the way it cost 5 cents.

bullet Jule Spohn:
    Hello Nicky. I lived in a cold-water flat on South 12th Street. We had the kerosene heater attached to the kitchen stove, and another heater in the living room. Every day before I left for school I had to go to the basement and bring up 5 gallons of kerosene and fill the one in the kitchen. That kept the back of the house warm until my father came home and would then fill up the one in the living room. We had a heavy curtain which separated the rooms in the back of the apt - kitchen and bedrooms, from those in the front of the apt - dining room and living room. Also, in the kitchen we had a huge silver water heater. We had to light the flame every time someone wanted to take a bath - no shower in those days - or wanted to do the dishes. You had to keep feeling from the top down to see how much of the water was getting hot. God forbid if you forgot about it - KA BOOOOOM!!!
    Last edited by clouds z; 11-18-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    "'I have done my best.' That is about all the philosophy of living one needs." Lin Yutang

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

I picture my grandma's house. No shower, but a tub on legs, in the corner.
    Lorraine (lor)

i had apartments with tubs on legs had a shower too
    "'I have done my best.' That is about all the philosophy of living one needs." Lin Yutang

is technology killing us?

Some technology may very well be hazardous to our health. On the other hand without technology like MRI's and CT scanners how many more would be dead? Not all technology is good technology, but when it's good it's pretty dang good.

Might you call 1958 old? It is the year I was born. I have a little '1958 facts book'... life expectancy was 69.6 years, Music favorites were, The Witch Doctor, Yakety Yak, The Purple People Eater, Tequila, Don't (by Elvis), Get A Job, All I Have To Do Is Dream, At the Hop, Little Star.
    Lorraine (lor)

me 54

i feel disgusted past 1992

I'll be 54 in April.
    Lorraine (lor)

I meant 55
    Lorraine (lor)

born in 54

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast