Thread: prolactin leves are up is this a part of my ms

Default prolactin leves are up is this a part of my ms

I went for my yearly exam and mentioned the fact that I am producing small amount of breast milk an mri was done and my pituitary gland is enlarged, prolactin level is 105.
    Last edited by farmwife; 11-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi farmwife, and

I haven't heard of high prolactin levels with MS but if this information is correct, your high reading isn't very high:

• High levels of prolactin (usually higher than 200 ng/mL) may mean a pituitary gland tumor (prolactinoma) is present. The higher the prolactin level, the more likely a pituitary gland tumor is present. If a prolactin level is over 200 ng/mL, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test may be done to confirm a pituitary tumor is present. A normal or low prolactin level does not always mean there is no pituitary tumor. An MRI test may be done if a pituitary tumor is suspected.
    • High levels of prolactin may mean that the pituitary gland is making excess prolactin for unknown reasons (idiopathic hyperprolactinemia).
    • Other conditions that can cause high prolactin levels include pregnancy, liver disease (cirrhosis), kidney disease, and hypothyroidism.

Many conditions can affect prolactin levels. Your health professional will talk with you about any abnormal results in relation to your symptoms and past health.
    For more information, see here:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/prolactin-15129

Producing small amounts of breast milk on occasion usually isn't a cause for concern.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

my pituitary gland is enlarged on the mri, I go to see an endochynologist today. I am afraid of being put on more drugs. I feel fine except for that symptom, should have never mentioned it to my doctor.

Blog Entries

Good luck to you. I think you were right to mention it to your doctor.

Hope you'll check back in and let people know how this turns out.

We're not doctors here but a few have medical training. Maybe some of those people will reply to your thread.

The doctor called it prolactinoma, cells in the pituitary gland are enlarged for some reason. I will need medication for a year or more maybe forever. He says it is not ms related
    I am wondering though about the fact that ms symptoms are better when a woman it pregnant so if this high prolactin level tricks my body into thinking it is pregnant in way wouldn't that be good for my ms?
    Trouble is when the gland gets to big it starts pressing on things around it and that is not good.
    The mri also showed my ms is no worse than it was in 2007 so that is good news as well.

I just felt better knowing I could reach out and try it get some feed back when I was so scared. Thank you

Blog Entries

You're certainly welcome, farmwife. Quite a number of people with MS realize that they're in it for the long haul and want to help others to slog through it as well.

I've picked up lots of valuable information on this board, thanks to people talking about their own experience, providing helpful links, and sometimes just generally helping.

And it's a place to get to "know" new people with a variety of backgrounds.