Future fears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future fears

I wish i could live in the 'here and now' instead of thinking catastrophic thoughts about the future.
    The anticipation of what might be in the future scares me . I find it hard not to obsess about worst case scenarios .
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

It is hard to be rational when my mind is like this.
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

Comment

((( Prot )))

you are not alone with these fears. our world and the news also make it harder and harder.

can you try breaking up the time into 15 minute chunks. praise yourself for getting through each 15 minutes.

this happens episodically right? so, at some poiint, you will feel better again.

remember what is happening to you isn't your fault. hang in there.

~ waves ~
      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I know how you feel! I have become obsessed with preparing for the worst case scenario. I have been poring over survival information, home defense, studying edibles on my property, looking up building shelters. I feel like a crazy person.

My psych told me a couple weeks ago I was manic with the racing thoughts. What the hell? Racing thoughts? I thought this was normal. Isn't everybody afraid? Shouldn't they be? The world is going to hell and those around us are blind and dumb to it. You mean all these years it is racing thoughts and here i thought it was a bit normal. Try taking my meds at their max prescribed she says.

I feel ya though I'm sorry you have to deal with it also.

Comment

Omg, I can't believe you posted this!!! I've posted about this, very thing, to the point, where I think,
          people were so sick of hearing it, I stopped getting replies. Omg, I haven't been able to get this thought out
          out of my head, since, I turned 41!:( I'm now, 44!:(:( I *can't* quit thinking about, not, being here, anymore!:)
          I just want you to know, you're *not* alone!:( ((((((Prot))))))

Phyllis
          Last edited by Ponygirl; 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

hey everyone !

i really do empathize with all your fears.

but, i am not george clooney. i can do nothing about the genocide in darfur. i am not angelina jolie and i cannot adopt babies from all over the world. i do not have fame or money to make my voice heard about gmo seed or anything else that bother's me.

what i can do is what everyone else can do. reduce your carbon footprint! yes, you've heard the cliche saying the last 2 years or so. you might think, "what does it matter if i do?" well it's not just you, it's the millions of other people that also do it. there is power in numbers and we should never forget that. grow some of your own food, that way you don't have to put pesticides on it and you save money. save on gas by doing many errands at one time. don't fill your gas tank or mow the lawn with your power mower or have a barbeque on days that are designated "ozone action" days

there are many religions, such as the mormons and the seventh day adventists who advocate having a year's supply of food, personal items for hygiene and other things for survival stockpiled in case of any kind of natural or man-made disaster. i don't see anything wrong with that. the united states is relatively safe from horrible failures of our emergency system to help people after something catatrophic happens, in my humble opinion. i think within 3 days, emergency services should be able to reach most people involved in a catastrophy. so of course it makes sense to make sure you have your necessary meds on hand and refilled and that you have some canned foods stockpiled, but most of us can survive 3 days, albeit uncomfortably, even without these preparations. natural disasters on the magnitude of hurricane katrina are an exception, but then again unless you live in an area that it can possibly happen, you are pretty safe from hurricanes.

i think the above measures are thoughtful. i don't know if i could stockpile a year's worth of supplies in my basement, but it might be a way to fill all those boxes . what i am worried about is a right-wing fringe group of armed militia men that think there is going to be class warfare in the united states. these people scare the hell out of me.

there have been several predictors of impending disaster, either nuclear or environmental that have been talked about over the years, including the "doomsday clock" and global warming. i would like to think that each generation with it's brilliant minds will find a way for these things to be resolved and to make our world a vital, living macrosystem. the "doomsday clock" has gone both closer and further away from midnight over the years since it was symbolically initiated in 1947. I remember being in school during the early 60's and the "air-raid" drills we had that led us down to the recesses of the school basement where we sat quietly. i remember the worried faces of my teachers during the cuban missile crisis, although i didn't understand their fear. we are all still here today. there is enough good in mankind to realize that we are all one on this planet; united we stand and divided we perish.

but even though i might stockpile food or recycle...etc., i won't abandon my general philosophy on life; which is to live one day at a time in faith and to help and watch out for your fellow neighbor.

we can change our little corner of the world. if each person does something, we can reduce our fears because we are facing them and doing something.

yes. we will all die one day. but once again, if you keep worrying about that day, you are missing out on the joys of today. you become paralyzed by thoughts of death, impending doom and helplessness. you die everyday if you worry about this on a daily basis instead of only dying one day in your life. much of what we worry about is out of our control. yes, an asteroid might hit us and destroy civilization as it did the dinosaurs millions of years ago. but the world went on. today they have mapped 90- 95% of the asteroids that might hit the earth. there are brilliant minds working to develop a system that will deflect an asteroid if it's found to be on a collision course with the earth.

do what you want to prepare for any kind of disaster. reduce your carbon footprint. speak out and write letters to companies that are destroying our food system. grow your own garden. help a sick neighbor in need.

and then...go out and play with your dog...isn't it wonderful that he doesn't worry about all this? ride your bike. go out with a friend and have coffee and laugh. enjoy a movie. make love. kiss your child. hug your dying mother. take a class and expand your mind. HAVE FAITH!!!

LIVE TODAY! it's the only day there is. it's the only day we have.

jeannie
            Last edited by tic chick; 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM.
            WE ARE BT!
            "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
            "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
            "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Bravo, Jeannie! :) Well said. I've stopped watching network news just to avoid this overload of drama and "what bleeds, leads". Tv is pretty much aimed at the tragic and the negative, so I prefer to stay far away. Ditto with my friends who just have to discuss their latest favorite world conspiracy theories every time they call, even before they ask how I'm doing today. Honey, I don't care about your theories and there's nothing I can do about the World Bank or the Fed or the state of the economy in Outer Mongolia.

I've really come to appreciate that bumper sticker saying: THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY. My new little isolated community out here in the state forest between the rivers has been doing a great job since the early 70's by following that concept and building a sense of neighborhood in the best ways.

I can't convince anyone else not to live in fear, but I can assure you that it ain't fun. I know, I have my bad days too, but they're more often focused on my immediate future and current problems that I likely need to find a way to take control over. In fact, that IS something I need to do and take seriously. But right now, I just might play on the computer a minute longer.
              Sher
              My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Comment

Working...
              X