Thread: chest pain

Distinguished Community Member

Default chest pain

Hi All - lately I have been having chest pains - left side (Heart). I have a very bad dental situation with no solution in sight. Question is - will my doctor take me off Morphine,Xanax and clonadin, the morphine a significant dose (IMHO) being the most important as I have numerous issues with pain. I plan to ask for a cardiolagist referral, which I can ask for due to poor circulation in my feet. All answers are appreciated.
    Blessings
    alex44
    skypilot
    Last edited by alex44; 11-02-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Alex sorry to hear of your chest pain and your dental problems, I can realte to both better then I care to admit !!!

You really need to get the chest pain ck'ed out soon it isn't nothing to mess with however on that note chest pain does not always come from a problem with the heart.

I had the heart surgery in 1998 and I didn't really have much pain in my chest actually from that problem but I have had some of the worse chest pain imaginable and that has come from problems with my thoracic spine..

I'm not aware of what you pain problems are from but this is something to think about..

I wish you the best and it is never wise to wait when you believe it may be your heart.

Linda

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Alex))))))

Do any of the meds you take list chest pains as a side effect, or heart problems? Check the drugs through our Drug Info link at the top of each page.

Dental issues can lead to systemic issues. Infection can spread throughout the body from an oral infection. The heart can also be affected. Why is there no solution in sight for your dental problem?

There are probably a variety of potential causes of chest pain from gas to pleurisy or pneumonia. To be safe, you should see your doctor and get checked out. You should also discuss your dental problem with your doctor.

Hope you can be seen and receive an explanation and assistance.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Hi Alex, I hope you get in for appointment soon. I don't see any reason to remove you from your pain meds. I get chest pains too but mine is from thoracic spinal issues as this might be something for you to have checked if the heart visit doesn't turn up anything. I have had to learn when it is my thoracic because it mimics a heart attack and one time I did go to the ER for chest pains since my left arm hurt so much and it didn't calm down like usual. The pain ended up causing the initial blood test to show I had a heart attack but one done 15 minutes later and again 1 hour later showed I didn't. Until you find out what it is though you need to get your heart checked out. I had several check up on my heart due to my fusions and a family history of problems so I knew mine was clear as my cholesterol has always been below 130. I hope you find out what is going on as it isn't fun not knowing.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Thank You ALL for your wonderful replies. I seee my doc on the 9th. and will bring up the issue. Dental work - I have had more work done then most - I was born with 3 sets of teeth and had to have oral surgery when I was 11 or twelve - No General anesthia like the doc . wanted - my dad was a H. admin. and would not have it - this was 40+ years ago and I do not believe it was as safe as it is now, esp. for a child. However, the doc did give me a script for Seconal, the horse caps, to keep me quiet for a week or so afterward - My dad, would not get a refill, which in hindsight, I am grateful for. I am on SSI and there is no free or reduced fee care( they offer a SLIGHT discount) and I have teeth broken off, cracked, the whole nine yards. the irony is, if I do have heart troubles and the doc traces it to my teeth, THEN the VA will step in ( i am a vet.) but I have a severe phobia due to the amount of work done already. Mark, I did not know that back problems could cause this - I will ask my doc. - thank you.
    Thank you all again as I now have good information. I hope this finds everyone as well as they can be.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((alex)))))

First ~ Thank you very much for your service.

And for that service, you should have everything that you need throughout your life. How is it fair that our elected officials have full, life time coverage, but our veterans are denied the same benefit? It infuriates me.

Insurance programs/companies should cover dental care, because, as I said, and every good doctor knows, oral health is linked to systemic health. I'll spare you the details of what my sons have been through with their dental needs, and for that matter my husband and I have had our share of time in the dentist's chair. Just know that I completely understand what you're feeling and the obstacles related to your dental care.

Here are some suggestions:

Ask your doctor for a referral to a dentist, even if s/he doesn't think your oral needs are causing you cardiac problems. Without proper care, the risk is there that your oral health will affect your systemic health. If your doc will agree to a referral, maybe VA will pick it up? I'm trying to find a way for you to work around the system. Not defraud the system by any means, because taking care of your oral needs should be right up there with the rest of your medical issues, so a dental referral is justifiable.

Sometimes you have to convince docs to see the logic in it. I told this to every doc my son saw in the hospital, all 20+ of them, but only the Infectious Disease doc realized that Jon's overall infections could be stemming from the decay in his mouth. He called in the oral surgeon, and all teeth were removed, under a general. Now that's extreme, and to be avoided obviously, and far more costly to the government.

Finding the right dentist, a compassionate, caring dentist is also important given your past dental history. Things have changed greatly in dentistry, with newer, safer, and less painful techniques for treatment. Some dentists offer a relaxing ambience with music or serene scenes on a TV monitor. You might be able to take a valium to relax you before you have work done, and some dentists offer nitrogen oxide with oxygen to calm patients. Or there are anesthetics, which only last long enough for the procedure, and from which patients can awaken immediately.

So do advocate for yourself when you see your doc and ask for a dental referral. You deserve it.

Sending you empathy and healing thoughts ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.