Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input about "home" page layout

Blog Entries

Looking at that statement again, it did not come out as I had hoped. Which members are displayed is completely random, it does not matter if you are logged in or not. What changes is which members are displayed. If you're not logged in you see "Y" group, but if you are logged in you see "Z" group. I have no idea why, the code isn't written that way.

If you are logged in and invisible and see your avatar in the featured members section, it is purely a coincidence. There is no correlation between who's being featured and who's logged in.

I have edited my previous reply to reflect what I intended to get across the first time
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 06-16-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Blog Entries

It looks like there would be room for 2 columns of featured members (for a total of 16), or we could leave it 8 and I'll see about shrinking the width of that section to make it look neater. Let me know what you folks think
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I like it as is..
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Me too! Why clutter up the page?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Pretty Picture Joan.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Alberta Canada, with a Beatiful view of the Rockies

Red face

I was wondering what happened to all of the former members, I wonder if the issue is that Brain Talk seems to move a lot and people may have difficulty finding it or finding their old Brain talk Friends. The layout we had at the last web site seemed to have more forums for different issues. I do like the layout plan you have posted and hopefully it can draw some old members back... Oh yeah, I know when we "move", long time Distinguished members get the status " new member" and I have noticed posts about not being happy about the change of the status.... Ok it may be petty, but for some that have been with Brain Talk from the beginning it's important to show they are a long time member. Good luck Dave....

Dagaz
    Last edited by dagaz; 07-07-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Brain/Pit tumor=17 brain surgeries 20year csf leak(Feb, 1993) After initial tumor removal!, SPMS , Hydrocephalus from a intraventricular hemorrhage! Panhypopituitary, Diabetes Insipidus, tension pneumatocele, ( air under the skull next to the brain), 2 craniofacial craniotomies, several shunt revisions, 7 bifrontal craniotomies ... Dag "If I started crying I wouldn't stop!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Wow, I LOVE the new main page - it is so interesting to see the featured users. Thank you for your creative input, Mike! It's just great! Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Administrator/Community Manager David Hosobuchi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still notice there is some significant space left. Perhaps for unregistered visitors there could (should) be a decent sized banner/button/link that invites them to join.
    David Hosobuchi
    Administrator/Community Manager
    BrainTalk Communities Inc.

"The most determined win."

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Great idea, David!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((David))))))

Excellent idea! Something bold and inviting!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast