Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input about "home" page layout

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Yes Mike, in my own clumsy way , I guess I was trying to get the same point that was made by another member Jeannie i think it was, new people don't always notice the word forums to open it up to find the group that may be suited to them.I also like the idea of the date and the face book thread to send people here. sorry I wasnt better at getting my thoughts out , not been a good head week .

Blog Entries

I believe I can change it to make it stand out more. I'll do some fiddling around on my test site. I'm also looking at options to better suite the left most column as I don't like just the avatar pic and link to the profile after sleeping on it
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I noticed you changed the layout of the home page a bit(the recent posts are in the middle instead of the side). I really like the improvements so far! :)

Hi Mike, I hate to admit to being a dimwit but what is an RSS Feed?
    Thanks, Diandra

Blog Entries

Short and simple RSS feeds are like the news tickers that you see on TV. They are a quick and easy way to display little bits of information across many sites at once.

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Hi Mike,

First, I share Ging's affection for this "place". Although I "lost" this place for awhile, I am very glad have re-discovered it and to be back. Thanks much to all who have had a hand in creating it and keeping it going!

Although I am 99.9% unimparied by my MS, I find current home page a bit too text dense for me to "enjoy" comfortably. The way tic chick broke up your initial text into short "paragraphs" makes it much more reader friendly and easier to comprehend. [I learned this some years ago from an MS poster who has been around much longer than have I.]

Honestly, the current home page is so text dense that I find it a bit frustrating and I move onto the threads without taking a look at it. From a very brief involvement I had years ago in the highway billboard industry - experts in that field advised 7 words or less in a billboard message. Less is more. "Empty" space is important for comprehension.

I agree with whoever suggested that the place to click to go to threads and where to enter your log in info should be more promient.

Perhaps better to list threads or give clear, easy to locate link to the list of them.

I agree generally with tic chick's suggestions.

I like agate's idea of including BT's "birthday."

Thanks again,
    lawnerd

I say thanks too Its great to see a development here, and it will really get folk coming back to the forum. I originally around 2002, a decade ago, and have missied it this last few years. Great work!!
    cardiac ablation 1997. prolapsed disc 1992. L5S1 fusion 2003 (failed, bad screw in spinal canal) Lumpectomy 2005, Carpel tunnel bilateral 2005.Prolapses bowel, bladder, uterus, V. Vault rectocele,repaired.2005. Sacral implant failed 2006. further prolapsed bowel. Subsequent ileostomy, removal of colon, rectum,. 2009. removal of bad screw, more metal work L4/5/S1 to stabilise.2010 cervical ADR 2 levels. Hypothyroid. retired 2003, further cervical stenosis problems. on pension& disability

BrainTalk now has a new look to it's homepage Just click the "Home" tab at the top of the page to see the new look The "Featured Members" is pulled randomly as long as you have an avatar and one post you will eventually be placed in the "Featured Members" section. Also it picks new members every 24 hours.
    Last edited by btsysop; 06-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Which members are displayed is completely random, it does not matter if you are logged in or not. What changes is which members are displayed. If you're not logged in you see "Y" group, but if you are logged in you see "Z" group. I have no idea why, the code isn't written that way.

If you are logged in and invisible and see your avatar in the featured members section, it is purely a coincidence. There is no correlation between who's being featured and who's logged in.
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 06-16-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: clarified the intent of what I posted earlier

Step 1 - log in

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm very enthusiastic about the new look! And it seems like a really good idea to feature members on an alternating basis.

Mike, when you say:

I just found out that which members are featured differs depending on if you are logged in or not. Not sure why, but unless you folks want me to "fix" it I'm inclined to leave it as is
    I don't see any problem with that as long as people understand that if they're logged in but invisible, they might still be among the "featured members." So they're not so very invisible after all...
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast