Thread: Working out bad for people with CP?

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Question Working out bad for people with CP?

I was talking with a friend who has CP the other day and he said "My physical therapists said that working out was bad for people with Cerebral Palsy." And I was like "What?!! How could it be bad?!" I mean, I know because of our tight muscles we have to be more careful while doing certain types of exercise, that's kind of a given. But all working out being bad??! Has anyone heard anything like this from a physical therapist before??? It just sounds like a way for physical therapists to make more money like "Only I can help you no one else. Don't even think about going to someone else."

Benj is a hemiplegic and we have been encouraged to have him work out. Of course, he has osteoporosis, too, so there are other considerations. I think the thing you need to do is be very careful to keep stretched out.....

- momster
    Momster, mom to 2 boys: one of whom has CP, NLD, ADD, anxiety disorder, osteopenia/porosis and a few other letters following his name; and married 25 years to a wonderful guy

I have no knowledge about CP, but at a gym I used to attend they had a young man with CP come in every day to use the pool. There is another guy I think has a milder form of CP and he lifts weights. His upper body is really muscular and he looks great, so it doesn't appear to be harming him.

People with cp are no different from others. Working out is good. Just like everyone else-everyone's different. Fitness most people have activities more suited to them; lots of people have limitations for a whole host of reasons!! A lot of people, both with without cp, have activities they cannot do.. I am on a non-weight bearing workout status. Standing/walking aren't good for me. So pool, wheeling, working with a yoga ball and free weights all things I need to do more of.. Kinda ready to live a healthier life style.. I swear I am so starting next month

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jul97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People with cp are no different from others. Working out is good. Just like everyone else-everyone's different. Fitness most people have activities more suited to them; lots of people have limitations for a whole host of reasons!! A lot of people, both with without cp, have activities they cannot do.. I am on a non-weight bearing workout status. Standing/walking aren't good for me. So pool, wheeling, working with a yoga ball and free weights all things I need to do more of.. Kinda ready to live a healthier life style.. I swear I am so starting next month
    Good for you Jul! I figured working out is good. I think I either misunderstood my friend or they misunderstood their therapists when we had that conversation so long ago. I tend to get really good results when I work out. I just can't go fast. :)
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Therapists are paid a salary not commission..They discharge patients all the time, there is no financial incentive motivating the treatments they recommend-okay
    I have a very high respect for therapists, they're not lying to people for profit!!

I just don't feel they can help me anymore-but yea pts rock!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jul97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Therapists are paid a salary not commission..They discharge patients all the time, there is no financial incentive motivating the treatments they recommend-okay
    I have a very high respect for therapists, they're not lying to people for profit!!

I just don't feel they can help me anymore-but yea pts rock!!
    Like I said I think my friend and I just misunderstood. I don't blame the pt. I'm glad you had such a positive experience with pt's because while I had good ones I also had ones that weren't so good or just made me think my body was a huge problem that was working against me instead of a beautiful thing that was just under the control of confused brain signals. I don't think they meant to make me think of my body that way though. As I get older I realize the advice they gave me and exercises they made me do were for my own good and I should have appreciated their efforts more.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php