Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still here from the "old" days?

Distinguished Community Member

Having been suspended. long ago, The forums were MUCH better before the powers that be got politically correct could that be one reason this forum is so quiet. Yes, people may have gotten their feelings hurt, happens everyday in the real world, and people get over it. - the forum was a lot more interesting back then. hell, I may get suspended/ banned for this post. I will continue to speak my mind and if I get suspended/banned - Oh well. I hurt too much, am getting too old to take any crap from anyone. And besides, who is here to complain? Make no misteak, I love this forum, I know things evolve, but the pendulum on everything from this to that has swung way to far the wrong way. Heck, if you go out to diner and have ONE drink, no meds in system, if you get stopped, you WILL go to jail. Just an example. I care very deeply about the people here - I wish everyone well.
    Blessings
    alex44
    Skypilot

Alex, you do have to wonder what made the old forum such a wonderful place that people wanted to come to and post. I know the shut downs really hurt as people couldn't trust having the forum up and found other forums to go to. I tried to start up in one of those but it was just too much trying to figure out all the new people and where they were in their spinie/cp lives. I know back in 1998 I jumped in bcause I needed help with understanding my spinal situation and how to fight my insurance's denial for my needed surgery. Even though a few said some not nice things I could find some valuable info that really helped me out. As I got to know more of the posters then it was easier to fit in. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and maybe that is what BT did back then, I just hope we can do it again. The pendulum always swings back but you have to wonder if it will swing back soon enough.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Gosh, a few live posts....I will crawl out from under the bridge and post something....

I remember the names rockhound and giraffe, I just don't know whether I was "for 'em or agin 'em" I remember that more than a few times I would post just to "screw" with someone, but that was part of the fun. There were only a few people I had REAL issues with, although I think there were more than a few who had them with me on the old boards.

But, in all honesty, "back in the day," I was really, really, really focused on my spinal problem -- on getting answers and helping out those with questions that I knew the answer to (or thought I did). I WAS going to beat this "disease," and I was impatient and high-driving type-A about getting answers and getting better.

I did not suffer well when people came in and started posting non-stop drivel about the 115 cute things their grandbaby "tater-tot" did today. I pretty much wanted the board to avoid all that clutter and stay medically focused, although I did advocate that Lester should open a separate forum where people could post all they wanted about the "tater-tots" in their lives.

Now that I'm older, and more accepting of where I "am" with my condition, I actually realize (IMHO) that I was a bit of a Nazi about that issue and it can't all be focused totally on "just the medical facts"(although seriously, even now I would have trouble putting up with those tater-tot posts).
    dave
    Last edited by HellBoundTroll; 04-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Mark, HBT, totally in agreement. Compare the activity now to say 4 years ago - BIG difference. I love the forum, the people here and yes the people who make it possible - Mike, David, John L. all of you fine people who make it happen. Please, if you mod's see this, conflict is not a bad thing as long as it is constructive and NOT hateful, Etc. People need to feel free to express their opinion - feelings get hurt in the real as well as the virtual world and it is generally resolved thru dialogue with one another, without that, who will learn anything about dealing with that conflict/emotions but I do agree that things should be shut down if a war breaks out - there should be compromise. thank ya'll.
    Blessings
    alex44
    Skypilot

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Hey Mark my dear friend, we better keep our little tater-tots in our "slow time" thread. lol Even though I am up at 4:10 a.m. nursing some # 10 + pain I could not help but get a chuckle about Dave's horrific time with the " Tater-Tot Babies."

Don't get me wrong Dave, it's good to have you back. It doesn't offend me when you remember your times with the little tater-tots.

If I thought long enough I probably could name a few things that would link the little Tater-Tots to something Neuro, reckon?

nuff nonsense from me. It's just good to see many checking back in. Alex, I hope you can find some peace. I see many positive things happening at BT and that gives me energy to push on to make BT the best forums around. Hang in there I cherish all of you I call my friends.

Take care all, Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

No offense, you guys are older timers than myself, although I joined in I think 97. As the board would get redone, the amount of posts and how long people were here would change.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Dx: Cancer(stage 3 Melanoma), Sarcoidosis, Chronic Kidney Stones, Endometriosis(post hysterectomy), DDD, Fibromyalgia Raynards, Hypermobility Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, TMJ, Neuromas, PTSD, Coccydynia

Boxerlover,Hi I haven't seen you for a while and yes I feel like a newbie since I only came on board back at the end of 98. It was a fast paced place back then with people shooting from the hip not always concerned about how people in pain would take a comment. It seems we usually got things worked out though.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Quote Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boxerlover,Hi I haven't seen you for a while and yes I feel like a newbie since I only came on board back at the end of 98. It was a fast paced place back then with people shooting from the hip not always concerned about how people in pain would take a comment. It seems we usually got things worked out though.
    Ha, Ha.....like that characterization....

I have been boring Mark and one other long-suffering spinal disorders person with my alcohol issues on the spinal board. Wonder how that would have played in the "nifty 1990s." It would have been fun....Ah, Sharon would have gotten me in line... Actually, probably Edie would have had me take it off the board and talked to me privately. She had a gift for dealing with my hard head.

Cool As I said

The board is starting to come back - but - PC nonsense has no place here. I believe we can have good discussions as long as T.O.S. are observed with COMMON SENSE on the part of everyone - MOD'S, PEOPLE ON THE BOARD, AND ADMINISTRATORS.

Been biting my tongue a bit.

The PC nonsense is nonsense everywhere, unfortunately it is here to stay. I do agree that some latitude should be shown at times.

But, best I leave it at that. Not sure these boards will ever get back to where they were -- in a way they got too big. When I first popped in in the '90's, they were big and rollicking, but not so big that you ever felt lost. New people would arrive, others would leave, a few hung-on forever. Then, the forums exploded. Too many people, too many people to catch the nuances of a post, so instead of laughing and understanding what was being said, people began to complain.

Got so busy, could not follow threads too well. And, as usual, babbling nabobs would post about stupid stuff again again and again, which did not help matters.

Now, it is so deserted here, there really is not much help offered, although some of you are certainly trying.....

Anyway, for better or worse, I will be around now and again....unless Alex starts posting about grandbabies named tatertot (or, you know, I think it was taterhead).

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast