Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still here from the "old" days?

I posted at the old boards and lurked more.

I don't look lurk here because frankly it lacks personality because the lack of "BS" threads. The thing that made the old board great was the chatter. knowing you could talk to people about anything.

Distinguished Community Member

We can still talk about anything but I have found that people just don't add much if you start a post that is chatty. I never saw a problem with those post like some did because I could always not open the post if I didn't want to chat. It sure made it easier to get to know people but I can see people wanting to see post about CP when they come here.

It is good to see you still around and checking in.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Default Just popped in to say hello

I joined in 2002 I think. Maybe a little earlier. Cant believe its over ten years now, or that I've had spinal issues for over twenty years. Ive been through the whole thing with spinal surgery, and have to accept that I'm stuck with chronic neurological and mechanical issues now for the duration of my life. I hate the fact that I have to take medication, which doesn't work terribly well to try to control it. I'm finished with surgery though, and I hope I never have to have another procedure again. I think each one made the deterioration hold off a bit, but now I've reached a plateau, and there's nothing more to be gained. I keep smiling!
    Good to see some of my old friends here. I hope everyone is staying positive!
    I'm busy with my two little granddaughters, making the most of them, because it does not look like I'll have any more. I remember the old forum, and some of the funny posts. All sorts, poems, pictures etc. I personally enjoyed the variety, and learning a little bit about folk, and insight into peoples lives.
    My husband has had non hodgkins lymphoma grade 4 for the last year. He was not expected to survive, but he had the most extraordinary attitude, and responded remarkably well to treatment, and is now in remission. He just went back to work this month. He's been very lucky, but in another way, he just does not do poor health!
    Best wishes and love to you all.
    cardiac ablation 1997. prolapsed disc 1992. L5S1 fusion 2003 (failed, bad screw in spinal canal) Lumpectomy 2005, Carpel tunnel bilateral 2005.Prolapses bowel, bladder, uterus, V. Vault rectocele,repaired.2005. Sacral implant failed 2006. further prolapsed bowel. Subsequent ileostomy, removal of colon, rectum,. 2009. removal of bad screw, more metal work L4/5/S1 to stabilise.2010 cervical ADR 2 levels. Hypothyroid. retired 2003, further cervical stenosis problems. on pension& disability

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Mark, I most say you have a heart of Gold. You are kind and caring to all. I've learned a lot from you.

I'm thinking I have missed something here. We are discussing "spinie" issues in a Chronic Pain Forum. I have no problem with that, I just don't understand what the issue is. Online Patient Support Groups for Neurology is posted at the top of this page. Yes, the Spinal Forum is one of many other Forums.

When I goggled Alzheimer's Disease Mass. General was the first and only Forums and Chats listed. I was hunting information concerning Alzheimer's because I had suddenly found myself caring for my MIL who was suffering from this.

As time went on I discovered I had many problems, some of them concerned the spine, but others didn't. It never occurred to me that this site was only for people with spinal problems.

So, please someone tell me what I have missed? I am happy to see so many names I haven't seen in a long time. Yes, I do suffer from Chronic pain. So much so I don't even want to post them.

Smiling Angel, I agree with your last post. If I read something that I think would not be pleasing to me I just go on.

I was pleased that someone opened this thread. I was happy many shared how their currant condition was. I first came to Brain Talk in 1999. . So, I guess you could say I'm an oldie, in fact I'm older than dirt I hope this thread will take a "forward" turn.

my love to all, Jo aka Julia
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Hi my friend! I've been wondering how you and your DH had been getting along since his diagnosis, and I'm thrilled to hear that he is in remission and is going back to work! That would have been unthinkable years ago. In fact, my father-in-law died of non hodgkins lymphoma way back in 1992. Anyhow, so glad to hear things are really looking up! We're getting excited for grandchild #3, due in early July! Since my son and his wife have a boy and a girl, they decided not to find out this time -- really keeps the element of surprise, that's for sure.

Hey, tomorrow is the eleventh anniversary of my spinal fusion! Still kickin', too! Take care!!!
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Hi All - I hear all this about people with spine problems and do not envy them given I have my own set of back problems. Am I misunderstanding that people think this this forum is for spinal problems only? IMHO, all are welcome here but it is a chronic pain forum and, yes I do see where the two can relate. The only thing I see is if the issue is particular to spinal problems, why not ask in the spinal forum. If you are in pain, then by all means post here - I am trying NOT to be misunderstood - I would only ask that the question be put in the proper forum as for example a lot of spinal problems might find more help in the spinal forum as in many chronic pain patients will find more help in this forum (CP) at times the two will overlap and as I said before, IMHO, ALL are welcome. I would simply like to see people get the most knowledable people for the question. I truly hope I have not stepped on any toes here as all the forums are for all of us - the rest - see above.
    Blessings to all
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Community Member

Hello All ~ Gosh, this has gotten quite busy in the last month or so! It's great to see people posting again.

I'm having a rotten day, so keep your head down! lol Jeepers, this weather & the barometer are out to get me. It's an all-out attack! But, I think I'll win, like I usually do. I just might snap a few heads off in the process tho. I don't usually get snippy, but I kinda feel like that today. Don't know why. I should probably lock myself in my bedroom for my son's sake and STAY there. lol

Hoping everyone is doing well today. It's gloomy and looks like rain here. I'm getting awfully tired of rain. My car is gonna disappear into the driveway (mud) soon if this doesn't stop!

Wishing everyone a great day! Take care & prayers to all. Love, Lee
    Recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;
    severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor,fibromyalgia;depression; heart attack. On disability.

Julia this place is for CP but it seems like spinie place because many of us have CP due to spinal problems. I post here more because there isn't much more going on with my spine other than deteriorate so I deal with CP instead of surgery. I am like Mary that I have had enough serious surgery and I don't want any more unless it is to keep me form being paralyzed. Other wise I will deal with CP the best I can.

I see this forum as a place for anything that CP causes or any disease or accident that causes CP. For example we have in the past talked about bowel problems because much of our medication causes constipation. I answered those post because I found out in my case I have slow motility so adding fiber to my diet is the exact wrong thing to do. I followed my dr's instructions and I paid a terrible pain price for it before seeing a gastro dr and being tested and finding out about my slow motility and getting on the right laxative.

We have also talked about some relationship issues because CP really puts pressure on relationships.

Mary it is good to hear that your husband is in remission and doing well for now. Remember the gardening posts a few years ago? Smiling Angel, congratulations on the coming 3rd grandbaby. I am enjoying our second one that is 6 month old and is a grandpa girl right now. I know you get as much enjoyment from your grandkids as I do. I love it when they come over or we/I go over to their house to visit. It is nice that they live in our small town and are only 5 blocks away. When it gets warmer they walk and stop on the way back home for a while and my wife and I walk over to their house and stop for a rest before heading back home. Alex, I think you explained the forum just right and I can't believe that you stepped on any toes. Lee, you are right about this moving faster lately. Sorry to hear it is gloomy around your way, we have had some rain but most days have been nice down here.

Take care everyone and I will try and check in here more often with the number of post we are getting.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

thanks everybody for the kind explanation's. when pain levels get so high every thing gets out of kilter. that's where I am this morning. So Lee, if you snip at me I doubt I would even notice. lol

I learned last night that our sweet Jenny{{ granddaughter..}} is expecting. In all the grand's and great grand's our last grandson was born 18 yrs. ago. Jenny is special to us and we are happy about the baby. IT'S A BOY. Course we love those little girls too.

So, pain level is off the chart from Chronic Migraine. Guess it doesn't pay to get too excited.

Do I pass muster? Hope so cause I care deeply for all of you.

my love to all,
    Last edited by Jo6; 04-27-2013 at 03:53 AM.
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Julia, sorry to hear your pain is up so much but it must be going around as I have been fighting very high pain the last three days. Of course mine is from doing something I shouldn't have done and I knew better but what do you do when it has to be done. Congratulations on the coming new great grandchild just the think to help keep you feeling young.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast