Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still here from the "old" days?

Distinguished Community Member

did I miss something about grands and tatter-tots? If so apology's. HBT You raise very valid points - You may very well be right about things getting too big and things getting out of hand - perhaps things got too out of balance - I don't know all the answers but you have given me much to think about thank you.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

I see looking at the past post I missed out on some of the responses as I was dealing with lost days. Talk of tatertots reminds me of the battles to keep the post on spinie issues as HBT says. There was a real question back in theose days if the board should be all about spinie issues about the lives of spinies no matter what the topic. I think the current approach where post can be about the other issues that are parts of our spinie lives yet post about spinie issues stay focused on the spinie issues. These post bring back good memories for me about the people and board itself.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Again, I hate to agree about opening the forum to more than "just the spinal issue facts." But, since I have been one of the worst offenders in my current return to the boards....

As Mark said to me a week or two ago, the boards are so sparse at the moment, just having ANY fresh post is better than having a bunch of dusty old threads as long as they aren't WAY WACKO....and man did we have some of those. I remember one of the worst "last ones" before I pretty much disappeared was somebody named "string cheese" on the spinal board. I don't remember if he (or she) was just rude, or off-topic or a combo, but it set people running for the shotguns.

Of course, there were still lots of folks posting at that time (although not as many as there had been), on a slower board, who knows....again, I don't really remember the problem. Back in the '90s we had the infamous "monkey" thread. It was actually pretty funny, but a lot of people were really offended by it. I always thought that -- well -- I won't say who i think actually started it -- but it fit his sense of humor and although I was pretty stubborn about wanting to keep everything serious and spine only, I do remember shaking my head and laughing.

Then we all had to get serious. Moderators...whom I am sure did the best they could, but a few of them seemed to let things go to their head. I really should do some google searches and find some of those old threads.....

Hey, a best of (or worst?) thread> LOL

I have to say, Dave, that I do remember fondly many of the off topic discussions we had way back when. Here's the thing - if you don't go for that sort of thing, it's easy to exclude yourself from those topics by just not going in and reading them, isn't that true? Most often, you can usually tell by the title, even if not identified as such, which threads are not spinal or pain related. There were a few members who loved telling tales about their children and grandchildren. If I was in the mood for that sort of thing, I would read the thread and, if not, I would just leave it unopened. No biggie. Anyway, just IMHO. And I do remember you! I was Just Jacquie on the old SD3 .
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Angel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to say, Dave, that I do remember fondly many of the off topic discussions we had way back when. Here's the thing - if you don't go for that sort of thing, it's easy to exclude yourself from those topics by just not going in and reading them, isn't that true?

True, but with a big CAUTION...On a busy board all the chatter makes it easy to "lose threads," miss questions etc. Not to repeat myself (which I did many times way back), but the social chatter can make it more difficult to get answers and to respond to the posts that "really need help."

The way the boards are now, it certainly does not matter....IIRC, tho., now the board does have those social forums, which were missing way back when, and are wholly appropriate for the chatty posts.

Angry We Chat

HBT - I do not have accepable words to say to you except this is a social forum well as an informational forum and I do NOT recall seeing any by you and I have been here a long time. I wil continue to be chatty and If I have Info I will share it.
    alex44
    Last edited by alex44; 04-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alex44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HBT - I do not have accepable words to say to you except this is a social forum well as an informational forum and I do NOT recall seeing any by you and I have been here a long time. I wil continue to be chatty and If I have Info I will share it.
    alex44
    OK Alex, fair enough, I get your point and I will get out of your way.

I surrender the boards to you -- although forgive me, of course they are not really mine to surrender. Anyway, I'll slink back to my bridge. My neurological condition is past the point where the board model will be of any help anyway, unfortunately.

I wish you all the best, hope the boards come back strong for you folks. Live long and happy.

HBT - i did mean to offend - it's just that at one time we were all one happy family and I hope it becomes that way again.
    Hope you DO get better -
    blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

HBT, you just reminded me about how some of your post starting out about being under the bridge and coming out to say something. 8I can't think of all the arguments on the old site but we had a lot of them yet we seem to get through them most of the time.

Alex, it takes all kinds of people to make a site interesting. I hope your medical problems lately are starting to get straighten out. It seems that being a spinie isn't enough of a problem but the pharmacy and doctors do their part of making more problems for us at times.

We are suppose to see more warmer weather today so I hope it is true as I want to get out and enjoy the warm weather. It would be nice to sit out in the yard and enjoy the sun and warm wind. Take care every one.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Thank you Mark and apologies to you hbt. I should know better then to post when I am in a severe flare which is becoming a 24/7 issue. I am NOT normally that way and hope you will accept my apology
    Blessings
    Alex44

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast