Thread: questions on pharmacy policy

Distinguished Community Member

Default questions on pharmacy policy

I have several questions that did not get answered in the last post. 1. If a doctor put "do not will with XYZ brand, can a pharmacist (PIC) with the patients consent - the brand in question causes stomach upset (Severe, Doc,. says fillars are to blame, use that if that is all they have? some relief is better then none. 2. Can another pharmacist (possibly a pic) weekend/evening override the first pharmacist? I DON'T want anyone in trouble but i was treated badly, had i not gone while the medicaid pharm. was open - I would have been out of meds by Sunday and the rude one told me it would be tuesday this after lying and changing her story. Do I have any rights here or am I making a mountain of a molehill.
    Thank you
    Alex44
    skypilot

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

First of all .. there is only ONE PIC per pharmacy.. he/she is responsible to the Board of Pharmacy to maintain the legal operation of the pharmacy. Legally, I would think that the "only available" brand could be used... HOWEVER... it could cause a payment rejection by the insurance company on audit. Those auditors look for just about any reason to deny a claim on audit. The issue here is which Pharmacist's initials ends up on the filled Rx... that is who "the hammer" will come down on .. if something goes wrong...
    --
    On a couple of occasions ... I have had the PIC to tell me to do something that I was (legally) uncomfortable with.. and I told the PIC.. if it was going to get done.. it would not have MY INITIALS on it... the PIC could put his/her initials on it.
    --
    Rudeness is unacceptable.. and if it is a chain pharmacy.. call corporate and express your concerns about how you were treated....
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Alex, I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that you had an unfortunate experience with that pharmacist. I often wonder what pharmacists who are opiophobic think that pain patients are trying to get away with. I don't understand the pharmacist's rudeness and lies at all. Clearly you are a long-time customer, so I can't understand why a pharmacist would refuse to fill a prescription. I'd be really mad about that, too.

Hopefully this will be resolved without too much trouble. I wasn't clear whether you were able to get yout meds or not, but I certainly hope that you do have your meds now.

Eva

Eva14 - Yes it was resolved and yes, I did talk to the PIC - HE and only HE can call (The Doc) to get an overide - I did get my meds. just not there. the rest is just drama i want to leave behind. He did Apolagize.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot