Anyone using cymbalta for pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using cymbalta for pain?

I wondered if anyone had experience with cymbalta for neuropathic pain. Naturally I would like to hear about any experience.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Hi Linda, I have been taking Cymbalta for neuropathic pain for a few years. MS pain and Trigeminal Neuralgia pain. I noticed a difference in my level of pain after a few weeks. It was subtle but there. I've also had no side effects. The only downside is there isn't a generic version and it can be quite expensive even when you have health insurance. To me, it is worth the expense so I guess that says a lot about how much it has helped me. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by JTwin; 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I have been using it for about a year on top of my gabapentin. It definitely helped some (how do you measure that?) and it's also an anti-depressant. So for one or both reasons, I feel better on it.
      It is expensive, even with my Part D coverage -- but I was blessed to find the Patient Advocate Foundation's Co-Pay assistance. It reimburses me for my Cymbalta costs (about $95 in the donut hole) and my Celebrex ($90-ish). They only have certain types of meds they help with, but one category is pain meds, so both of those qualified.
      So every month I submit my receipts, and then get a $185 check in the mail. Thank God!
      Their web site is: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
      Josh

Comment

No luck with Cymbalta

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
        I wondered if anyone had experience with cymbalta for neuropathic pain. Naturally I would like to hear about any experience.
        I've never had any luck with Cymbalta. Over the past decade I've tried a wide range of meds (as neuropathic pain is my primary symptom). Presently, on a daily basis I take 15 mg methadone, 450 mg of Lyrica and hydrocodone as needed.This is by far and away the best cocktail I've tried.

Hope this helps

Harpist

Comment

Hi Linda,

We all have different results with different meds. I tried Cymbalta and had very good results with the pain. I felt really good on it except for one thing - I could not sleep! I was very disappointed. I would like to have stayed on it.

I would say get your Doctor to give you a prescription for a small amount and try it. It might be worth it if you are having pain.
          Attached Files
          Virginia

Comment

works for me

I find Cymbalta does help with pain, I have been on 60mg for a few years. I wanted to stop taking it and went off it gradually and the pain came back so I am back on it. So it works for me :)
            Jan
            "never let it be too late"

Comment

I've taken Cymbalta - but it was inexpensive!!

I was surprised as I read the replies when I opened this thread. I also have taken Cymbalta, but the generic version Misoprostol, and it was very inexpensive. I took it for trigeminal neuralgia pain, and it did mildly help. But seriously, it was the most inexpensive med I've taken in a long time.

BTW - there was a study done with Cytotec and Trigeminal Neuralgia in MS patients, showing that there was improvement.

msmaggie

Comment

I think you have medications mixed up ms maggie -- Cymbalta doesn't have a generic on the market. Cytotec is basically an antacid. Misoprostol == Cytotec, not what we're discussing here.
                Unless I'm incredibly mistaken -- but that's also what my google search came up with.
                Josh

Comment

i was put on cymbalta a few years ago. after starting with the lower dose, i felt almost immediate relief but it waned after two weeks. at that point i was was supposed double the dosage and i felt relief again, but i could not stay on cymbalta since the side effects (racing heart rate) was too much of a problem and interfered with my sleep. burning feet has been a part of my life, 24 hrs of every day, for the last 4-5 years. getting rid of that would improve my quality of life by 50%. bottom line is, everyone is different and everyone will respond differently to different meds, so try it and see if it works for YOU. having multiple sclerosis makes it seem like we all have the same condition, but that is far from the truth, as most of us know.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers.
                    I had rituxan again in July (2 infusions 2 weeks apart) and had immediate improvement. I have been moving non stop since then and have been able to handle major hassles here at home while John is still recovering
                    From life threatening infection and diabetes onset. So, my pain is gone, double vision is gone, thinking is clear and greenhouse work is already in full swing for next spring's farmers' markets.

Ihave been doing rituxan for several years and each round of two infusions lasts about 7 months. But now I have developed the antibodies to that virus (jvv?) and so the danger of continuing with it is suddenly more real. But, like with Novantrone, I am almost normal with it. No optic pain, no leg pain, no cramping.....

I have some low dose cymbalta but have not taken it because I am so strong again.
                    Last edited by Lazarus; 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM.
                    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Gee Linda that is great that you are doing so well right now. I wish that it would continue without further treatments with Rituxan, but if the past is any
                      indications of the future it doesn't sound too likely.

Enjoy this wonderful feeling while it does last.

Sorry your John has been having so many problems.
                      Virginia

Comment

Working...
                      X