Thread: Baby (dog) goes to nursing home

New Community Member

Default Baby (dog) goes to nursing home

My mother has been in a nursing home for 4 years. We have a dog named Baby. Before mother had to go there she lived with us. Baby gets to visit her nanny at her new home. Baby has many friends at the home. People, who normally do not talk, will talk to her. People, who have MS or Parkinsonís that shake all the time, will pet her and never shake. Many have to pet her, she will stand by them and they will reach out to her, she loves it. It is good for her and them; she is 15 years old so they are about the same age. It is amazing to see these residents just light up when they see her coming down the hall. I think pet therapy is very good.:o:p:)

Distinguished Community Member JanM's Avatar

Isn't it amazing what pets do for us
    I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Distinguished Community Member

it is wonderful that the nursing home allows animals to visit the people staying there. I hope you continue this for some time to come, i see this as a good thing in my book all the way round.:)

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I have noticed that more places are seeing pets as therapeutic and letting them live there or at least visit regularly. Going into our local hospital here I was greeted by a therapy dog leaving as I was going in. Golden Retriever which many are but I think most breeds and pets are a good addition to everyone's life. Well....except those who abuse.

Community Member serene_butterfly's Avatar

Think dogs are just amazing animals, very wise and so intuitive to our emotions and how we are feeling.

I have a dog, she's called Honey a dachshund cross jack russell who pretty much looks after me instead of the other way around. Even though she is a rescue dog and has had no training, somehow is able to sense before the attacks of vertigo is going to come on about 10 minutes before it actually starts. On days where my balance is very bad, and I'm on my own in the house she will follow me around the house to make sure I'm okay. A couple of weeks ago my legs gave way in the shower whilst I was alone in the house, and was unable to get up, and Honey was creating a massive fuss outside the door trying to sniff under the door and scratching and barking for help. She's definitely my little guardian angel - and she provides comfort on my worst days, cuddling me and giving me kisses.

Yours is a great story and hope Bany helps many more people

Just to add, have read an excellent true story recently about a woman with MS who managed to get herself a disability dog through a UK charity. A story of how the dog managed to change her life, and helped her live the life she loved before the onset of MS and who also calmed her daughter with severe autism. A really inspiring and touching for anyone who is interested. Have posted links below, both for the US and UK:

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finding-Harm...3953349&sr=8-1

US: http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Harmony-Taught-Young-Woman/dp/000739358X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313953054&sr=8-1

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Great stories Butterfly and welcome back since I am late as usual and haven't gotten to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great stories Butterfly and welcome back since I am late as usual and haven't gotten to say so.

Thank you Christna :o