Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Toxicity

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

Default Vitamin D Toxicity

A few years ago my late neuro (no he didn't die) put me on 50,000 once a week Vitamin D well after. well he dumped me and the rx of course went away but I found the same dose on line and continued taking them and this week was dx'd withVitamin D Toxicity it's pretty bad I weigh 57 lbs and was all I could do during the visit for the doctor not to throw me in the hospital and INSERT A FEEDING TIBE (like Terri Schiavo had) needless to say I put up quite a fight I agreeed to a IV but the Dr. said that would be to temporary. So I have a month to gain 5 lbs or else.

Ir's totally my faulr I should have not kept taking it at least not at that dose BUT hindsight is.....

So just a bit of warning to any that are taking it.

I really should have known better since I have lived on herbs and vitamins for years and knew how to respect them.

Abby
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Oh my, it would take 3 of you to make me. How tall are you? That 50000 was probably supposed to be a temporary thing.

All this hooplah aboUt Vit D has left me somewhat skeptical. I know I'm deficient, because I get no sun at all. Bot I cut my D3 to 5000iu every other day and that seems to be working for me.

You need some protien and some good fat girl. Now get busy and don't make us come after you..{{{HUGS}}}
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member

My goodness Abbey did you really say that right? If so, you need to gain some weight long before a month. Surprised your Doctor did not insist you go to the hospital.

Had you not noticed a large weight loss?

Take care and eat a lot.
    Virginia

Default Vitamin D

Sorry to hear that you only weigh 57# and hope you can gain quickly for your health. Here is the scoop on vitamin D....The prescription formula of 50,000 units is vitamin D2 (synthetic) and not D3 which is a more natural form of D (if you are unable to get your D from sunshine). I was also low on D and my endocrinologist prescribed the same dose of 50,000. He rechecked me later and I was barely into the normal range BUT when I found out (by asking the pharmacist which D was the prescription) I stopped taking it.

I tried to get enough D by sitting in the sun but when the weather got sooo hot I could not tolerate. Now I am back to taking D3 as my level is low again. I have just started with 1,000 mg and may take more as I titrate up. I ordered the NOW brand from Amazon. I am also back to sitting outside for about 15-20 minutes in the middle of the day with the least amount of clothing I can get away with. I have read that a lot of PWMS are low in Vitamin D.

Will you have to take anything else for the toxicity such as steroids?

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Default Vitamin D

Duplicate post.....

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Ditto w/Sally, "Oh my, Abby."

I volunteer to teach you how to eat again.
    We'll start with dessert.

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

I probably will have to go to hospital to detox, this can really mess up your heart. lungs and kidneys turns them into crystal or something.

You cannot imagine what 57 lbs looks like (I am 5 feet and small boned) all muscle is gone I look like a skelton with skin.

I'm doing all I can do

Abby
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

57 lbs.!!! Yes, it's definitely possible to take too much vitamin D. That mega-dose was supposed to be only temporary, I'm sure.

http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=1107961

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryC...ago.edu&mu_id=

Hope you can start putting on some weight--soon.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Oh dear! I'm worried about you. Please pass the cheesecake to this girl now! Renee, show her, please!
    No vitamins will do you any good if you don't at least eat!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Abby))))))

Please forgive my intrusion on your forum, but I saw your post and just wanted to provide you with some information and support.

Here's some info on Vitamin D toxicity. Drink LOTS of water (8 glasses/day) and stay out of the sunlight.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about...in-d-toxicity/

For weight gain, you might consider nutritional supplements, such as Ensure or Resource

http://www.ensure. com

http://www.nestle-nutrition.com/prod...3-f409d675dd9b

Here you can learn about nutrition and foods high in calories, but which are healthy:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

You might also ask the doctor for a referral to a dietician/nutritionist, who can help you plan out meals, which will be healthy, and have the proper calories and protein to help you to recover.

Your goal is to gain weight safely, so you want to eat food, which will accomplish that goal.

I hope that this helps and you are able to gain and retain the weight you need.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast