Thread: Friend about to have a hip surgery

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Friend about to have a hip surgery

My friend with athetoid Cerebral Palsy is about to have a hip surgery that involves cutting her left thigh bone. I'm not sure but I think she will have a femoral osteotomy. Have any of you had or know anyone who had this surgery? Any advice you guys can suggest to support her through this? She's worried about being bored while being in the cast. I'll keep you updated on when she has the surgery and her progress afterward.

I hope I never have to have hip surgery myself. I had a lot of hip X rays as a little kid and never had any issues Thank God. I find it interesting that my friend is an athetoid and needs this surgery. I would think someone with athetoid CP would have less issues with spasticity since they have a mix of loose and tight. Eh, what do I know?

Blog Entries

Well today is the day. My friend is driving to surgery now. Please pray that it goes well and that she will walk again soon!! I will post more updates on my friend as time goes by.

Blog Entries

I recently heard from my friend. She is out of surgery now and sounds great!(great for someone who is loopy from pain killers) I'm so relieved!

Blog Entries

Now my friend who had the surgery has tight hamstrings. She says it is almost to the point of pain and she can't sleep. Any ideas on how to get her hamstrings loosened up????? She can't move around too much so it has to be something that doesn't require much movement. I used to have tight hamstrings after my CP related surgeries. It feels kind of like the worst cramp ever. I think her muscles are tight because the CP is reacting to the fact that they moved her hip bone.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

My friend got her cast off. She can stand and walk short distances already but her leg still hurts. She has to wear her AFOs at all times when standing/walking, just like I had to after my tendon stretching surgery.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

Little Update: My friend has to have another surgery to remove the metal parts(hardware) in her thigh bone around fall. Luckily the time in the cast will be way shorter for the 2nd surgery.