Thread: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Symptoms with normal thyroid levels

Default Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Symptoms with normal thyroid levels

Hi,

I was dx'd with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about 15 years ago. At that time I was started on replacement therapy and my symptoms abated. Now in the last 3 years the symptoms have returned weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, my thyroid gland is getting bigger and sometimes hurts and hot flashes (I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and the hot flashes had almost stop and came back with a vengeance). I has read that recently they have found that replacement therapy only helps the thyroid levels but you can still have all the autoimmune symptoms from Hashimoto's. Has anyone has a similar experience? I have been told to go to an immunologist since the endocrinologist just deals with my thyroid levels. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat
    Last edited by PMM; 08-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey pat,

sorry for your problems.

i would ask your endo doc what your thyroid level is. if you have HT, a TSH level higher than 2.5-3.0 means you need to get on a higher dose of thyroid meds. if thyroid disease doesn't run in your family, doctor's usually use a TSH level of 4.5 or higher before they put you on thyroid meds.

HT is the process of the thyroid gland losing it's ability to function. here is a little informative website: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001409/

just my opinion, but it sounds like your thyroid levels have dropped and you need more thyroid meds. all your returning symptoms are classic hypothyroidism. i would ask your endo what your TSH level is and if he has done all the other tests that are named in the article. then go to the immunologist if your endo is stumped...but i don't see why your endo just can't take care of this HT.

hope you feel better soon. thyroid disease runs in my family, so i know how hard this is to deal with .

jeannie
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney