Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Else Has Questions About Their Health and Spiritual Journey?

Community Member NeuroNixed Craig's Avatar

Question Who Else Has Questions About Their Health and Spiritual Journey?

I know this is a loaded question, yet this is an area I am currently struggling with and have faith you all are willing to tackle it and provide some insight for me. I made a post on my personal blog this morning going into more detail but honestly, I really don't think anyone reads my blog so I have little expectation of any response.

I titled the post, "How Should We Feel About God and Going to Church? Why? Because I really don't know the answer and one thing I've learned in life is not to ask God that proverbial question, "why!"

The challenge comes from questioning the whole "church" thing, the connection with God all mixed with the health circumstances and final outcome. So, where does that put a person anyway? Again, I don't know, but thought you may have some guidance or experiences to share with me.

I know, a deep and possibly controversial question but it is Sunday after all.
    NeuroNixed Craig
    Living Life On My Terms
    No Excuses No Regrets
    Richmond, VA, USA

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Hi everyone. Craig glad to see you back on the board.

David used to be a deacon and I was an elder in the church, but when our pastor retired and we could not understand the new pastor's sermons we quit going. I do not believe that you have to go to church to be faithful. I have a good relationship with God and pray every night and sometimes several times a day.

I feel I have MS and David has liver cancer because God feels we can handle those. I only think of God as a loving God who wants good things for me. I do not have the punishing God I grew up with as A Catholic. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member

Wen my wife and I were first married she and I were of faiths that if you married into the other you were not only excommunicated but in many cases your family disowned you. Since we have now been married for 29+ years I guess we have over come any differences that we had. Although I do have one problem. We never praticesed any religion in our house and as a result our kids do not have 1. any tolerance for "forced upon religion" 2. They have no real understanding of the bible.

Growing up you went to catechism on Wednesday evening and Saturday morning,church on Sunday where the sermon normally lasted about an hour to and hour and a half. And Monday night vespers. I also learned all my catechism in German and in English.

We have decided that religion should be a private choice and witnessing to draw people into your particular church or faith just flat makes me uncomfortable and I do not care to discuss my beliefs or lack there of at the front door. Now I am NEVER rude to the people that come calling. I finally told the ones that are famous for this, to please take my name off your list of people you are trying to save because I am not interested. If you want to come by and see how a dairy works and if you want to bring your kids out to play with the baby goats, that is great and you are always welcome. But if you start up on religion I am going into the house and shut the door.

Believe it or not we have had some of them come by with their kids and ask to see the babies. As a matter of fact one of them called this spring and asked to bring their kids out as when they were young their parents brought them and they always remembered it. Lots of kids grow up in the city and a goat dairy is interesting I guess.

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have decided that religion should be a private choice and witnessing to draw people into your particular church or faith just flat makes me uncomfortable and I do not care to discuss my beliefs or lack there of at the front door. Now I am NEVER rude to the people that come calling. I finally told the ones that are famous for this, to please take my name off your list of people you are trying to save because I am not interested. If you want to come by and see how a dairy works and if you want to bring your kids out to play with the baby goats, that is great and you are always welcome. But if you start up on religion I am going into the house and shut the door.

Believe it or not we have had some of them come by with their kids and ask to see the babies. As a matter of fact one of them called this spring and asked to bring their kids out as when they were young their parents brought them and they always remembered it. Lots of kids grow up in the city and a goat dairy is interesting I guess.
    That is so cool, Gary! I grew up in the city and I would have loved to visit a goat dairy. You don't see too many of them on pavement.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Craig, You certainly do know how to ask the hard questions.....I will ponder the answer for a while and come back when I am more rested as I went to church this morning and used up all my energy for the day.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Hi Craig.

My spiritual journey does not include going to a house of religion
    and maybe not even my personal belief in a higher power.
    Saved?
    Because I have known good, kindness, gentleness and love, I am saved-
    mostly from myself. I am my best friend and worst enemy.

An open heart and open mind.
    As long as I learn something from this "horrible mess we are in, Ollie", my version
    of MS is not a complete waste of time.

MS will, though, continue to be a pain in the buttocks.

Carry on, dude.

Community Member NeuroNixed Craig's Avatar

Default My Febble Attempt to Address Your Responses

I find your varied responses quiet thought provoking in many aspects not considered previously and I appreciate your insights.

Jeanie Z: I find I agree with your entire response, personally relating to it at each level.

Gary: What a great example of sharing your inner faith and beliefs without offense. Plus you get to pet goats too! I am happy we learned from our own "forced upon religion" experiences to simply expose our kids to Christianity in many ways with the goal they know enough to decide for themselves at the right time. No regrets with that process with excellent unexpected results by the way.

renee: I find the key to your response simply being, "My spiritual journey"....Followed by, "because I have known...." Isn't that what it's all about?

Much for me to consider at this point with very interesting points of view not previously even considered.
    NeuroNixed Craig
    Living Life On My Terms
    No Excuses No Regrets
    Richmond, VA, USA

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Hi everyone. I was like Gary I could not take my children to any church as I had been raised that I could only attend the Catholic church and I did not want them to learn to fear God and I was uncomfortable taking them anywhere else. I did let them go to Bible school at the Baptist church once and their Boy Scout troop attended the Episcopal Church who sponsored the troop once a month.

My sons are 51 and 50 now. My youngest and my only grandson play in the church band at the Baptist church and his wife works there as the church secretary.

My older son believes in God but does not go to church. His wife goes to the Jehovah's Witness church that her family attends. Her faith helped her through all her cancer surgeries, chemos and radiations. She is still having problems from radiation burns to her female organs and bladder and her colostomy.

I am grateful they both believe but it wasn't much thanks to me. They knew I prayed and they said evening prayers when they were young. Jeanie :)

Well thanks a lot Craig. I went to bed last night and woke up thinking about your post (and my reply). I think that we forget that our country was founded on freedom of religion. Coupled with separation of church and state. At times we carry both to extremes. If you have absolutely no religious beliefs at all I think that you could look at the bible as a guide line for an orderly society. Take the 10 commandments, if you overlook the religious component it is just a guideline, be good to your folks (honor thy father and mother), don't work yourself to death (honor the sabbath...), don't murder ANYone (thou shall not kill) and so on. IMO most of the bible can be taken the same way. The one thing I have taken from years of religious training is TOLERANCE and acceptance of course. I could care less if you want to worship green tee shirts.

Thanks Craig, for an insightful post and allowing us (okay me) to reexamine where we are in the grand scheme of things. And it is nice that we can have a post like this that neither is a violation of law or people get angry and turn it into a: I am completely right and you are completely wrong.

Hi Craig, I was brought up going to Sunday School and Church - very traditional. My Mother always said God first, family second and then Church. I would be attending church now, but the effort that it would take on Sunday morning is just too much for me now. I wish I could just jump out of bed the way I use to and get dressed and go, but that is not possible for me now.

I do not feel guilty. I feel that my relationship with God is a personal one and that He is not judging me on what I cannot do at this point in my life. I do try to be a Spiritual person, meaning that I try to treat others the way that I would like to be treated, I don't cheat, steal and do all the other things. I know that there are times when I fail at trying to be the best spiritual person I can be. When I do, I try hard to forgive myself and move on with trying not to fail again. But then, of course, I always do. But my God is loving and forgiving and I keep trying.
    Virginia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast