Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cerebral Palsy can be cured if discovered before 6 months of age?? What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cerebral Palsy can be cured if discovered before 6 months of age?? What?

I met someone today who told me that Cerebral Palsy can be cured if it is discovered before a baby is 6 months of age. I have NEVER heard this before. I was thinking she might have had Cerebral Palsy confused with other brain related disability. Has anyone heard of Cerebral Palsy cases being cured in a baby younger than 6 months old?????!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

((((((funnylegs4))))))

From what I've read, CP isn't usually diagnosed until after 6 months, and closer to 12 to 18 months for most children.

So, it would stand to reason that if CP is not recognizable, or noticeable, or diagnosable before the age of 6 months, it couldn't be cured before the age of 6 months. How can something be cured if it hasn't been diagnosed?

The next time you meet up with this person, I would ask the person where s/he found this information. A reference would be helpful.

I Googled "cerebral palsy cured before 6 months of age" and these are the results:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I feel fairly sure that the person, who said this to you today, is incorrect or mistaken. But a source for that information would be handy to support or document the claim.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi!

I would agree that this is not true...Caitlin was diagnosed at age 1 (if I am remembering right). We were sent to a developmental pediatrician. BUT...we knew she would have issues as she had the grade 4 bleed at or shortly after birth. So if that was true, they would be curing kids like that....wish it were true! They just know so little about how the brain works...

Lisa O.
      sigpicLisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Comment

Hmmm....until someone figures out how to modify an injured brain (and they haven't yet), then there's no cure for CP at 6 mos or otherwise. Maybe, maybe in the future!
        Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
        Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

They are probably refering to this:
          Cord Blood And Cerebral Palsy

(HealthNewsDigest.com) - Researchers may soon have good news for many of the estimated 2 million Americans who have cerebral palsy, a condition that is caused by a brain injury before birth or during the first few years of life. The condition can impair movement, hearing, vision and cognitive skills. There’s currently no cure—and no standard therapy that works for all patients.

New, cutting-edge research is exploring the potential of stem cell−based therapies to treat these kinds of neurological impairments. Pediatric neurologist James Carroll is the lead investigator of a new clinical trial at the Georgia Health SciencesUniversity to determine whether an infusion of stem cells from a child’s own umbilical cord blood can improve quality of life in children with cerebral palsy. The study will include 40 children, ages 2 through 12 years, whose parents have stored their children’s cord blood with Cord Blood Registry. “The hope for stem cells, really from the beginning, is that they might serve as some type of replacement for cells in the nervous system that have been destroyed or never developed properly,” said Dr. James Carroll.

Dr. Carroll states that the outcomes of both preclinical research and anecdotal evidence in patients have made umbilical cord blood an intriguing source of stem cells for researchers to pursue—as has the safety profile of using a child’s own cord blood. He adds, “We’ve found in our animal experiments that adult stem cells can greatly assist in recovery from brain injury, so we wanted to try to apply this in children and cord blood; that is, the cord blood of the child being treated provides a safe place and a safe way to do that.”

###

For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com please contact Mike McCurdy: tvmike13@HealthNewsDigest.com or 877-634-9180
          HealthNewsDigest.com is syndicated worldwide, to thousands of journalists in all media, and health-related websites. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
          Wonderful progress is being made-which makes me so happy!!!!!!!! BUT I don't think we are at a point where adults can recover function-through a treatment more drastic than whatever therapy(that may or may not cause some small improvement), bracing, meds that control certain symptoms and so on.. All those I feel have been available since I have been alive. I am waiting for something new, that offers promise of significant recovery!!!! Yet, again I am happy if a new born will be able to be cured in the near future/future as well.

Comment

Rose; My mom has said if I hadn't been her first baby; she'd have known almost immediately.. She called me her little toy soldier cause I was rigid..Now as for how long it would have taken for my mom to be listened to if I wasn't the first and then how long would it take to get the right diagnosis is a whole other issue..Not so much critical if docs as I am at the system who doesn't place a high enough value on early detection and intervention!!
            Last edited by jul97; 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Hey Donna.

The institute's do a phenomenal job at reprogramming the brain of a brain injured person.

As the organisation also publishes the 'Teach your baby to......' series of books which are the top selling books for teaching young children, the institutes do know what they are talking about :)

Have a wander at the site and let us know what you reckon.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.

Foster parent, now medical guardian and administrator
              for Grant the champ aged 30, yes 30!

Comment

((((((jul97))))))

I agree with you completely about the importance of early detection and treatment. But, from what I've read, most doctors don't consider a diagnosis of CP, before the age of 6 months, which renders the possibility of curing them, before they receive a diagnosis, impossible. Your mom knew instinctively, from her gut. Doctors don't function that way.

Jon was diagnosed at 9 months, and Michael was diagnosed at 6 months, only because the pediatrician had Jon as a forerunner to compare with developmentally. But, my boys weren't diagnosed with CP, rather they were given this protracted "etiology unknown" "idiopathic" diagnosis.

And, I am happy along with you about the strides being made in helping those with CP, and I pray with you for more advances in offering you assistance.

Love & Light,

Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul from Australia View Post
                  Hey Donna.

The institute's do a phenomenal job at reprogramming the brain of a brain injured person.

As the organisation also publishes the 'Teach your baby to......' series of books which are the top selling books for teaching young children, the institutes do know what they are talking about :)

Have a wander at the site and let us know what you reckon.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.

Someone just told me about Institutes today. I already do a "reprogramming the brain" type of therapy through someone else based on dance and it is working beautifully for me. I am hoping Institutes might be able to help me expand the work I am already doing.
                  Last edited by funnylegs4; 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM.
                  My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                    ((((((funnylegs4))))))

From what I've read, CP isn't usually diagnosed until after 6 months, and closer to 12 to 18 months for most children.

So, it would stand to reason that if CP is not recognizable, or noticeable, or diagnosable before the age of 6 months, it couldn't be cured before the age of 6 months. How can something be cured if it hasn't been diagnosed?

The next time you meet up with this person, I would ask the person where s/he found this information. A reference would be helpful.

I Googled "cerebral palsy cured before 6 months of age" and these are the results:

I feel fairly sure that the person, who said this to you today, is incorrect or mistaken.
                    I wasn't diagnosed until 7 or 8 months. And I agree. She was probably mistaken. But she certainly meant well.

Comment

((((((funnylegs4))))))

We just have to love people, who want to help, who want something to cure whatever it is that needs curing, and are positive and hopeful.

Dancing is such wonderful exercise and therapy in so many ways. If you want inspiration, check out Zina Bethune. I posted here when she passed after a tragic accident. Zina was a remarkable woman.

Keep reaching for the moon ~ at the very least, you will land on a star. (Unknown Author)

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi.

The oldies here know that I could rave on and rave on and rave on about the Institute's work. In fact I could rave on so much that I could be banned from the site.

We know ALL about the Institutes and their incredible work.

If you want me to fill you in please send me a PM here, if that still works or a private email at paulcopelandzzz (at) hotmail.com

Absolutely awesome that you are willing to look outside the traditional therapy box.

I look forward to filling you in from an insider's point of view.

Seeya at my inbox soon eh :)

Paul.

Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
                        Someone just told me about Institutes today. I already do a "reprogramming the brain" type of therapy through someone else based on dance and it is working beautifully for me. I am hoping Institutes might be able to help me expand the work I am already doing.
                        Foster parent, now medical guardian and administrator
                        for Grant the champ aged 30, yes 30!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul from Australia View Post
                          Hi.

The oldies here know that I could rave on and rave on and rave on about the Institute's work. In fact I could rave on so much that I could be banned from the site.

We know ALL about the Institutes and their incredible work.

If you want me to fill you in please send me a PM here, if that still works or a private email at paulcopelandzzz (at) hotmail.com

Absolutely awesome that you are willing to look outside the traditional therapy box.

I look forward to filling you in from an insider's point of view.

Seeya at my inbox soon eh :)

Paul.
                          I sent you a pm just now Paul. If you did not get it let me know here and I'll email you directly. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                            ((((((funnylegs4))))))

We just have to love people, who want to help, who want something to cure whatever it is that needs curing, and are positive and hopeful.

Dancing is such wonderful exercise and therapy in so many ways. If you want inspiration, check out Zina Bethune. I posted here when she passed after a tragic accident. Zina was a remarkable woman.

Keep reaching for the moon ~ at the very least, you will land on a star. (Unknown Author)

Love & Light,

Rose
                            So true. Most people only want to help. I LOVE dancing. I feel so connected to my body when I do it. I googled Zina. A fascinating and inspiring woman indeed. :)

Comment

Working...
                            X