Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELEVEN DAYS to get My Meds?!?!

Distinguished Community Member

Exclamation ELEVEN DAYS to get My Meds?!?!

A week ago on Thursday, I dropped off a prescription for morphine. So by tomorrow, it will have been ELEVEN DAYS with NO meds---the order has NOT come in YET!

By the way, I first dropped off my FIRST prescription for morphine over 2 WEEKS ago on Tuesday. The pharmacy managed to give me the run-around for OVER A WEEK before the pharmacist FINALLY told me that I needed to get a NEW prescription from my doctor. (The original dosage of morphine was back-ordered, so I needed a substitute script from my doctor). But it somehow took the pharmacists 9 DAYS to finally TELL me I needed to bring in a new script!

Every time I called, I was told, "The pharmacist is working on your prescription". And when I spoke directly to the pharmacists on several occasions, I was told "We're trying to order it". I had to call almost every day before one of the pharmacists let me know I needed a NEW script!

So it basically has been 20 DAYS without my morphine! I've been in excruciating pain, and am so angry at the pharmacists for not even letting me know that I needed to get a replacement script. Don't they have ANY compassion for the PAIN I'm in? I obviously wouldn't be taking morphine injectable unless my pain levels were through the roof!

I finally got the new script last Thursday, and CANNOT believe that it has been OVER a WEEK and they STILL can't get my meds in!

I really don't have choices as to alternate pharmacies. I feel like leaving some sort of a complaint, but I don't know if I have the guts to file a formal compliant. I DID tell the pharmacist: "I really WISH that SOMEONE had told me I needed a new prescription". She just gave me a rather blank look and said, "Oh, you didn't know that?" WHY on Earth would I be calling every day asking them if they've ordered the morphine if I knew I needed a new script?!

When I called last Friday, the pharmacist told me that she expected to get the morphine in on Monday. I'm hoping and praying that it IS there tomorrow!

Even if this chain pharmacy only gets C-II deliveries twice or even once a week, how does that explain the 11 day wait? NO chronic pain patient should be made to wait OVER A WEEK for their meds!

I'm just venting about this, because this has been the most frustrating and painful month of my life! To know that my doctor prescribes everything I need to keep me comfortable, but to NOT be able to get it at the pharmacy is the height of frustration.

Thanks to everyone for your support and advice---it really does help.

Best Wishes to all!

Eva

Geez Eva, I just cannot believe you are still going through this issue with this pharmacy. It is unconscionable. I know it takes alot of energy and courage to complain but I would call the attorney general in your state, today. Tell them you have a health related consumer problem and that you need help because your pharmacy took 20 days to fill a script and you had to endure withdrawal because of it. Withdrawal from opiates and all the health risks it entails is a very, very serious issue that should not be taken lightly and this pharmacy needs to be investigated.

I am sure Steve has other avenues for you but, all I can tell you is the AG in my state(connecticut) was very responsive to my requests and often acted on the the same day and they always made sure I had successful results(One was for my insurance company that refused my doctor scripted home IV antibiotic treatment and the other was for a doctor who would not give me my records). Both issues were resolved in ONE day. Believe me, this pharmacy will not want the attention of the attorney general on their store.

I am so sorry for what you have gone through Eva. Your suffering is totally unnecessary. Let the Attorney general be your advocate, that is what they are their to do. If I can help you in any way please let me know. PM me if need be.
    Take care Eva,
    Diandra

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

I hope that you are not in S CALF and going to Rite Aid... they are in the middle of a union contract dispute and 6000 union member authorized a strike a couple of weeks ago.. The corporate pharmacy should have some sort of complaint line... I would mention patient/senior abuse & denying a patient their medication... in your correspondence/communications... I would file charges with the state Board of Pharmacy... here is the website where the complaint process starts in CA... http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/consumers...int_info.shtml
    I checked the AG's office and here is complaint form https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-...ess-or-company
    I just wonder how many other patients are getting the same sort of treatment... which - IMO - is UNPROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
    Personally... I would RIP THEM A NEW ONE !
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Thanks for your replies, Diandra and Steve. This waiting has been CRAZY, and the worst part is that it isn't over yet!

I was told last Friday by the other pharmacist that my meds should be in on Monday. I've been dealing with that pharmacist for years. She's made a few uncalled for comments, but overall she seems pretty professional. At least SHE knows how to order C-II meds!

The PROBLEM is that my store has a NEW Pharmacist in Charge. The woman is in over her head, IMO.

The NEW PIC does NOT know how to order C-II meds! That's why I've been waiting so long, and am STILL waiting.

To make matters worse, the NEW PIC has a very thick accent and I have a lot of trouble understanding her, even when I ask her to please repeat herself.

I THINK the PIC said that she tried to order the morphine 11 DAYS ago, but when she FINALLY called the distributer TODAY, she learned that "everything needs to be so exact on C-II meds". Gee, you don't say?! SO apparently this unqualified pharmacist made a MISTAKE when trying to order my morphine, and only discovered HER MISTAKE TODAY.

Now, of course she needs to order my morphine ALL OVER AGAIN! That means a WAIT of at least another WEEK, knowing how long it takes for this pharmacy to get orders in for C-II meds.

I don't know what to do. I feel so desperate. It will have been over 3 WEEKS by the time they get my meds in, if they ever do.

It might be difficult for me to file a complaint, since I'm never 100% certain of what this pharmacist is telling me, due to her thick accent. All I know is I STILL don't have my meds, and I am very upset about it.

By the way, I go to a large chain pharmacy that begins with a "W".

Thanks for your replies---it really does help!

Eva

Steve, I just have a quick question, thanks.

When a pharmacist submits a C-II form to their supplier and the C-II form is filled out incorrectly, how long would it take before the distributer returns that form to the pharmacist? Wouldn't it be sent back marked "error" pretty quickly?

Thanks for your reply.

Eva

@Eva... so it is YOUR FAULT because WALGREENS hired someone whose accent is so bad that the "average joe/josephine" can't understand her. There is a growing surplus of Pharmacists in California and nationally .. there is no reason for these chains to hire H-1B visa people.. other than they tend to work for less money .. and generally they send most of their earning back to their families "back home"... The PIC ( Pharmacist in charge) is TOTALLY responsible to the Board of Pharmacy (BOP) for the legal operation of Rx dept... depriving patients of their medication is at least UNPROFESSIONAL ! There is no excuse for lacking of follow thru on ordering... she is either grossly disorganized or incompetent... or BOTH...
    Find yourself a independent pharmacy .. work with them that you get all your meds once a month - at the same time... to me it would seem that it is worth making whatever trip once a month to help you properly manage your health? I would hope that would not be too much of a problem. It is YOUR PROBLEM... only YOU can solve it... continuing to WHINE on this bulletin board.. will accomplish nothing or get anything solved in the short term.
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

I don't know Walgreen's system... I don't know if it goes to a *********r or their central warehouse... some places get *********r order every day M-F... some get every other day... the places that I have worked.. the DEA 222 FORM... should be returned with the next order.. or if the supplier's staff is really on the ball.. they would give the store a call to let them know that some thing was wrong and needed to send a new form... any changes on a form and it invalidates the form all together...
    Of course, if a pharmacy is working in the 21st century... they use a computerized ordering system called CSOS... which eliminates all the problems with the DEA 222 form. The last place that I was PIC.. we first used the old DEA 222 forms and it took me 2 days to get a order... once we switched over to the CSOS system... got the C-II's I ordered the very next day... If I sent the order in by 5PM... it was normally walking in the door before 10:00 the next morning... ( M-F)
    I have a friend that works for Walgreens in Galveston.. I will be glad to fire off a email to find out how their system works
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Thank you if you can email your friend, Steve. Does Walgreen's have a general complaint phone number?

Everything was going pretty well with the pharmacy until this latest debacle. The phamacy is literally right down the street from me, and I've been going there for 3 and a half years with only a few minor problems. I'm in a lot of pain, so I hope that helps explain why I really don't know what I should do. Plus, I don't know how pharmacies work. I always tend to be too nice and give them too much slack.

Driving 30 miles every month is out of the question. Some of my meds are hard to get, so I don't have a whole lot of choice as to which pharmacy to use. I used to live near a good indy---but that's the one that's 30 miles away. We used to have a couple of indy pharmacies in my town, but now they both are closed. So I really have looked into alternate pharmacies, but can't find one that is realistic.

I'm learning a lot about how pharmacies SHOULD work from what you've written, Steve. Getting meds the very next day seems like a dream! But as you say, this IS the 21st century, so there really is no reason why it should takes several days or even weeks to get a medication.

I cannot understand WHY they hired an unqualified pharmacist to be the PIC! If she is the one who is at the top of the food chain in terms of compliants, this is a bad situation. If there is someone "higher up" I will complain to that person regarding this pharmacist's unprofessional behavior.

Thanks for your help.

Eva

Exclamation

Eva - I do sympathzise with you. However, I do have to agree with P.Steve. If you were to take all the time and energy posting, You could have researched community rides - even in small towns there is usually some kind of service to take you there and back - not always convienant - Yes - been there, Done that - After 11 or so days, I am not a pharmacist, but I would think the worst would be over. 30 miles and yes, I hurt having to drive but i have to provide for me and my family. - that is about the round trip I have to make several times a week as the town I live in has one stop light, a golf club, a moose lodge a few liquer/convienance stores, and thats IT. if I needed a community ride (i am on a fixed income, I could come up with one. ) Pharmacy,groceries doctor = 30 miles. I am NOT trying to be unkind, As P.Steve said, Whining will do NO good. Complaining to the right people, as steve has provided you a link, Will at least bring attn. Remember the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, You get the picture. I wish you the very best of luck and hope you get your meds soon. yes i realize it may be 60 miles R/T but that would have been prefarable to what I went thru - I have had to do a very rapid detox and I know it is no fun - due to a simaler fubar with my doc.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot
    Last edited by alex44; 08-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Alex, thanks for your reply.

My problem is NOT withdrawal; it's increased pain because I don't have my most effective pain med.

I already have researched community rides years ago---I couldn't find a thing. Driving 2 hours and 60+ miles round trip would be expensive and exhausting. I couldn't do it every 28 days. Even when the pharmacy orders ahead of time, there are always SOME months when they can't get ALL of my meds, so then there would be occasional months with 2 LONG rides. That's too much for me. I know from experience.

I really just needed to vent about this. If I can't talk about it on a CP board, I don't know where else I'd talk about it.

I'm still trying to figure out whom I would complain to at Walgreen's. I've been researching that online.

So that's my problem: terrible pain and therefore confusion about what course of action to take. I'm going to try to work something out with my local pharmacy, but I'm still not sure how to do that. And I DON'T want them to hate me for filing a complaint and deny me service, so that's why I'm being careful.

Peace,
    Eva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast