Thread: Art Therapy

Hybrid View

Default Art Therapy

I have a 22 year old child with autism. Was diagnosed at age five. They are now self-injuring. They have little to say - extremely non-verbal as has almost always been the case.

Has had psychotherapy but is only so effective. Psychiatrist has suggested art therapy (but isn't aware of any one). Does anyone have experience with this type of therapy? What should I look for in finding one?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by newone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a 22 year old child with autism. Was diagnosed at age five. They are now self-injuring. They have little to say - extremely non-verbal as has almost always been the case.

Has had psychotherapy but is only so effective. Psychiatrist has suggested art therapy (but isn't aware of any one). Does anyone have experience with this type of therapy? What should I look for in finding one?
    I am a Licensed Art therapist. I will send you a pm with my email, perhaps send you in the direction you need to go.

Community Member

Well, it seems no matter what I do this forum won't let me send any pm's.

Community Member

Ok emails are down ... Newone if you return and want to talk, post me a message here and we will figure out a way.

Excited to see your post. I tried to PM you and got this message:

Keggy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Community Member

I have deleted many messages.. to no avail. Today as I was deleting even more messages it said "Invalid Private Message specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" and would not let me delete any more!

The board apparently knows how I feel about my mail.

If you want to try something... do a search for one of my blogs. Search "tolky muft" my blog (sanctuary) should be what comes up. I don't know how to contact me from there (LOL) but its much more private since even less people go there than here.

My email add
    Last edited by newone; 08-20-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by newone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My email add
    I wrote you the day you posted your email, never heard back from you.

I have no previous experience with Art therapy.It is totally a new term for me.I knew that psychiatrist refer many therapies for the improvement of the patient.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Usually art therapy is special painting,dancing,or bodywork techniques used to help with anxiety. I'v also heard Taekwondo/martial arts can be very effective in autistic people for preventing self harming and reducing anxiety. I'm no expert though. My advice for finding any therapist is to find someone you trust and who is very patient.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php