Thread: As Grant has a VNS, is it safe for him to have an MRI on his swollen leg?

Distinguished Community Member

Question As Grant has a VNS, is it safe for him to have an MRI on his swollen leg?

Hello neuro buddies and Grant fans.

Here is the latest goss.

Grant has an ultrasound a few weeks back, which was then followed up with an CT scan.

As you can see from the following report, his right leg is quite dicey and needs further investigation.

Althouth he radiologist has suggested an MRI, for Grant because he has a VNS, an MRI might not be possible.

Here is the readiologists report.

CT RIGHTHIP

Patient is markedly scoliotic. Both hip joints are dislocated. The femoral heads are absent on both sides presumably surgically excised. Proximal femora are superiorly subluxed.
    There is prominent bony irregularity of the proximal right femur. Surgical scar is seen laterally, adjacent to the greater trochanter.

At the proximal thigh laterally is a lentiform shaped hyperdense mass, with adjacent fat stranding.

This measures 2.7 x 1.3cm in axial diameter and 4.2cm long. This mat represents a haematoma, if there is a recent history of trauma.

It did have appearances of a fluid collection on the previous ultrasound. It lies at the deep subcutaneous tissue layer.

Clinical follow up is recommended. If there is ongoing clinical concern or if there is any increase in size then further investigation with MRI would be warranted to exclude a soft tissue mass.

Alison and I and Grant feel that further investigation is needed.

When Grant had the osteotomy about 6 years ago, it resulted in quite a large haematoma appearing. Could this mass be a continuation of that haematoma?

Although an MRI would be the next logical investigation, from the recommendations, it does not seem that it would be wise for Grant to have an MRI. What do you think Patrick?

Alison and I have no doubt whatosever that the mass is slowly getting larger. The mass was first noticed in January at rehab centre. I mentioned the mass to the doctor, but they did not follow up.

When Grant was at the rehab centre his toe was hit very hard during a hoist transfer. It was hit so hard that the toe turned black and the toenail came off. That was trauma for Grant's toe. I wonder, if it is possible that Grant had trauma to his hip at the same time.

Grant's right hip is 'frozen'. When he sits in the wheelchair the amount of sideways pressure is enormous. It is uncomfortable for him.

QUESTION FOR THE VNS FOLK

Is it possible for Grant to have an MRI?

Have any of your kiddos hade an MRI when they have a VNS implant?

Hope to hear from the VNS experts soon.

Seeya,

Paul, Alison and Grant, who apart from the swollen mass, is rock stable.

Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

I have no words of advice regarding the MRI, just wanted you to know we will be praying for a quick recovery and that the mass is nothing serious. How are Grant's seizures these days? He continues to amaze us all, doesn't he?

Hope you are able to figure this out. These young people are always a puzzle with no easy answers. Is Grant in any pain from the mass?
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Blog Entries

Hi Paul, just trying out this new forum and wanting to send along another wish for good outcomes with Grant's latest hip mystery. Lots of love as always...from all of us to all of you down under.
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Blog Entries

If his hip is dislocated like that it might just be some REALLY bad swelling though I have really no idea. You should try to find some way to make his hip less painful because if what he has is as painful as it sounds and I had it I'd be screaming like crazy. I don't mean to scare you but that's just what I'd do.

G'day.

Not scared :)

Well Grant has had a sublexed hip since he was a tiny baby. He has had a dislocated hip since he was about 3. Neither caused any pain. We are now waiting for the otrtho evaluation as they may suck the blood out if it is a haematoma.

Seeya

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.

Quote Originally Posted by funnylegs4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If his hip is dislocated like that it might just be some REALLY bad swelling though I have really no idea. You should try to find some way to make his hip less painful because if what he has is as painful as it sounds and I had it I'd be screaming like crazy. I don't mean to scare you but that's just what I'd do.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

Community Member

Amanda never had a VNS... but if a magnet is used with them, I would be really leery about putting him in an MRI machine with one. Unless they can reprogram it back as soon as the MRI is done. I don't think I would have put Amanda in it with her Baclofen pump. The powerful magnet in the MRI machine would probably wipe the settings away. imho.... Hopefully someone with some sort of education on the subject will come reply.

Hang in there.
    Carrie mom to Amanda my new angel 12-29-07.NO LONGER DXD Multicystic Encephalomalcia, Acryptic CAH, Loved to watch mtv hits, wrestling, 3 stooges, Andy Griffith and Spongebob Square pants.

And Josh 21 year old brain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Australia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    G'day.

Not scared :)

Well Grant has had a sublexed hip since he was a tiny baby. He has had a dislocated hip since he was about 3. Neither caused any pain. We are now waiting for the otrtho evaluation as they may suck the blood out if it is a haematoma.

Seeya

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.
    Oh, so glad it doesn't cause any pain for him! Glad you're not scared either :)

Blog Entries

Hi Paul, any news? Haematoma seems the most likely suspect, doesn't it?
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com