Thread: Results of mri scan brain

New Community Member

Default Results of mri scan brain

Can anyone translate this for me? Thanks
    MRI of the brain showing moderate non specific areas of white matter gliosis. Acute Rt posterior frontal infarct. Moderate atrophy, with increased ventricles.

MRI of the brain showing moderate non specific areas of white matter gliosis. Acute Rt posterior frontal infarct. Moderate atrophy, with increased ventricles.
    Don't know what white matter gliosis is, sorry. But right posterior frontal infarct means you have damage to the back of your right frontal lobe, and moderate atrophy with increased ventricles means your brain is overall smaller and as a result the ventricles (pockets of fluid in the brain) are larger than normal.

Distinguished Community Member

Not to frighten anyone, but does this person have any stroke-like symptoms? (possibly a mini-stroke) That could be implied by the term, infarct. Sorry.

Community Member serene_butterfly's Avatar

From what I remember from doing neuropsychology at uni, infarct refers to an area of tissue that has undergone necrosis as a result of an obstruction from the local blood supply, so it would from something like a thrombus or embolus.

Sweetpea, didn't your doctor go through your results with you?

Distinguished Community Member

I wish I knew the result.