Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ot July Chit Chat II

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Default Ot July Chit Chat II

way to long, and I hope this is a lot easier for you,,

Reporting in from the land that never gets rain, which we are now in the crictical stage with beans and corns,,I wish they would open up and lets farmers make silage, from the corn crop,, but it hasn't happened yet,,

Garden is doing ok,, some produce is ruined,, during this dry/hot spell

We put a scarecrow in the tomatoes,, deer are helping them selves, as this one cat, also hung bags of soda cans out there, so far its working,,

better go,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Distinguished Community Member

We will not see any deer until all the crops come off, too many people around. They disappear first day of hunting (not dummies!) as well. The hot spell wiped out peas. Neighbor is getting ready to combine his off. I have a ton of tomatoes all green yet.

Patiently waiting until the Dr. office opens, having flare that is not getting better an is now doing its thing on BP, running it through the roof. I know what he is gonna do I KNEW what he would want to do last week I just wanted to see if it would clear up on its own, hey it could happen.

My MIL begins her first round of chemo today. My wife is down there to help. My wife called last night, she had been telling her to get a necessary script filled all week and she didn't do it until my wife got there. MIL has become the slowest person in regards to getting ready or paying bills. Its not that she CANT she simply doesn't want to. After 25+ years driving a school bus my wife is a schedule maker and keeps to it.

Only 91 for a high today yee haw!!

Edited to add: Wife is on her way home seems MIL has a abnormal white count and a cough so antibiotics and chest x-ray instead of chemo for this week. Plan is to retry in a week. So it goes.
    Last edited by Gary; 07-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Hi Peg. I can't find radishes. Is it too late already? I may have missed them.

Gary, this is the first time I know of that you volunteered to get some medical help w/o DW or DD making you. Good. Take care and let us know- we will worry.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Here's wishes for a lot of rain for Peg, Wellness for Gary and radishes for Ann.(choc covered if possible).

I'm okie dokie, I think. teehee!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Ho hum waiting (about the only thing I can do right any more) on the home health folks for IVSM. And imagine this I walked into the office and the receptionist said don't sit down, follow me. Doc came in and said I have no reason to examine you you know what is coming next. I did have a UA just to make sure.

Chocolate radishes Sal ?!? Ann radishes are a cool weather crop mine are long past as soon as it get warm they bolt (go to seed) and get either bitter or so hot they could take the varnish off the pianna. I did stumble out and picked the last of the peas today tomatoes, cucumbers and spuds are all that is left growing. I stopped growing corn the local truck farmer does it for me.

Peg we are on 3rd cutting of hay unbelievable for us they will get 4 or even 5 cuttings I have never ever got more than 4 and the 4th wasn't worth cutting except its bad to leave standing alfalfa here because of weevils. The spray that they use to kill them is nasty stuff and is one of the only ones that I have never applied myself it scares me. Silage corn will come off in less than a month. I feed a lot of it as I have 2 Harvestore silos on my farm so I used quite a bit of haylege and corn silage. Stinky (really stinky if you have ever smelled it you will not forget it) but lots of protein and animals will eat it before baled hay.

Had a long (75 minutes worth) telephone conversation with a long time close friend with MS yesterday didn't really talk about anything but it was very uplifting. I can talk the leg off a chair but it is great to talk to someone who knows EXACTLY how you feel. They have put their foot in my posterior section a number of times over the years and seems to know when I need a pep talk. I start to have problems and my wife says I should give them a call. Friends like that do not come around often and the older I get (27 years old on my next B-day.... more or less okay more A LOT more) the more I realize this.

Nap time as I will be awake and cranky for the next few days.

Gary- thanks for the radish info. Do we get them again in fall like kale? And those one's of Sally's - the chocolate covered ones? Easter I am guessing?

Glad that you are getting BP under control. Sorry that you have to have IVSM.

Everyone- be careful of the heat. 98-102 forecast here for tomorrow. Keep meds cool, too.
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 07-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

I am not sure if you could get another crop in the fall it would depend on your location I guess, I know it wouldn't work here (I tried) but the time it cools off enough there will be a killing frost not far behind.

On day 2 of the IVSM no improvement yet of course. But am staying inside. I went outside to look around and my wife went with me I didn't last too long. Just too hot. And besides I was ordered back in LOL

I do Gary !!,, goodness, this smell is worse then a skunk smell, well rates right up there in the top 3,,

Busted,,:-(,, our crops are history, one for the record books,, 103 this week, spotty rains, and 102 next week, with no rains,,, and we are doing our 3rd cutting of hay today,, Joe is so focused on getting a 4th cutting,, this man needs a hobby,,lol

Sam {puppy} s doing well,, she leashes up , heals now, and sits, with my limited walking, Joe is doing most of the leash work,, with me being the instructor,,, don't you just love it, when you can give orders to your spouse ?..lmao..I do,,

Ever hear of cooler corn ?,, we are doing this for the family reunion,,next week, which, I am totally excited to attend,, can't you tell ? hahahah !

later then
    Last edited by Pegakafarmgirl; 07-19-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Peg

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Get a coleman cooler, pile your cleaned corn cobs into it, pour in boiling water to cover corn, close lid and wait for about 30 mins. and whalla, perfectly cooked corn cobs....Right Peg?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get a coleman cooler, pile your cleaned corn cobs into it, pour in boiling water to cover corn, close lid and wait for about 30 mins. and whalla, perfectly cooked corn cobs....Right Peg?
    yuppers Sally,, except one thing,, mine says 2 hours in the cooler with boiling water, hey what ever works,,

Peg

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast