View Poll Results: Do you visit BT's "Home" page?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes every day

9 17.65%
  • Yes every once in awhile

20 39.22%
  • Yes I visited once but haven't been back

10 19.61%
  • No I haven't visited the "Home" page

12 23.53%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you visit BrainTalks's "Home" page?

Blog Entries

Question Do you visit BrainTalks's "Home" page?

I'm curious to find out how many folks visit the BT "Home" page (click the Home button on top of any page) and what their opinions of it are.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

I have my 'favorites' set to take me right to the group I post at. :) I don't think I have ever checked out the official home page...maybe I should?

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey mike!

my opinion...

for me, the "10 most recent threads" is redundant. i know which forum i am going to and what other forums i read. with the "new posts" tab at the top next to the "forums" tab, i already see the most recent threads anyway, plus it shows me which ones i have read.

you're giving a lot of that middle space to a few completed and uncompleted articles. maybe moving the completed articles where you can "read more" above the uncompleted articles might make more sense. the history and future of bt can be minimized and/or put under a heading of "articles to come", especially because there is a "read more" under those articles and it's frustrating to click on and see nothing there, so i think the "read more" can be deleted. i know the history and future articles are a work in progress, so maybe it might not look so prominent that they are unfinished if they weren't at the top of the most prominent section of the home page.

i really like the articles from the various medical journals that are on the far left side. if i remember correctly, i think in the previous version of this forum, there was a tab or two at the top of every page where you could click on to search "pubmed" articles. i assumed that meant "published medical". i hardly every used that, but i now click on links from the articles that are on the home page, (btw, how often are those medical headlines changed, sometimes i don't check the front page and see there's a new list up later)?

i'm thinking i would like to see the home page be more informational and interesting...like a newspaper front page. things i would like to see: a general welcome to visitors or people who want to join the communities with links to the forums page (view only for non-members) and a registration page, the "IGIVE" button and general instructions on how to register (or does clicking on the "IGIVE" give the instructions?), the bt logo with our mission statement below it (that would be our "headline"), links to the "tos", smilies, bt's shop, etc., everything that's now buried on some obscure page in the forums and that members have to make a special "favorites" page to view.

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 07-04-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: clarity
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with what tic chick said, especially the part about the two sections of the homepage where clicking leads to nothing (BT Communities Inc's Future, The History of BT Communities Inc).

There always used to be a link to PubMed, as tic chick mentions.
    It's this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

And there was a link to a medical dictionary that was very handy. In fact, I think those two links were at the top of the page for every forum, not just on the homepage.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

((((((Mike))))))

I agree with Jeannie also.

But I do like the Most Recent Threads on the right side of the home page. I think this gives visitors/guests an opportunity to see that we are communicating here, and the diversity of topics. I'd change the heading to "What We're Talking About Now"

A Welcome to Braintalk is needed. Perhaps we could have a section of quotes from members ~ "What Braintalk Means to Me" or "How Braintalk Helps Me" ~ voices from the community inviting others to join in our conversations.

Any chance we could jazz up the page with graphics or photos? How about seasonal photos ~ like for now a beach/ocean scene, falling leaves in autumn, snow in winter, fields of flowers in spring? Peaceful settings ~ waterfalls, meadows, mountains, lakes, that sort of thing. Maybe change the photo every 2 weeks? Just to keep it interesting?

Definitely delete the articles to nowhere: BT history and future. You can find a place for them, whenever someone writes the articles! Replace them with the Welcome to Braintalk and Member Quotes.

There is ton of white space on the Home Page, which could be utilized in creative ways.

I'll keep pondering it.

Thanks for all you do for us, Mike! You're the best!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

I have the home page in my tool bar, I like to read the top ten, and say hello and welcome to new comers even if they are not part of my forum, I guess I see everyone here has a health related issue, some are looking for someone to tell them they are not alone,I was so scared when I first came to BrainTalk, I had so many people welcome me and accept me. I just like to try and do that for the newbies.

Hi Mike,
    I honestly only visited it when we first got on this new Braintalk...I had forgotten about it. I did look at it today and do like the 10 most recent threads and
    the American Medical News. When I clicked on "The history of Braintalk Communities" and "Braintalk Inc's Future" that are in the middle of the page there
    was nothing there and those two items are smack dab in the middle of the page so I am not sure why they are there. Now that I am reminded of it I will check
    it more often. Thanks, Diandra

Distinguished Community Member

I have mine set to go straight to MS forum, which is about all I use.

Virginia
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member

I'd like to see the name of the forum on "10 most recent".

thanks,Pati

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Mike))))))

A Welcome to Braintalk is needed. Perhaps we could have a section of quotes from members ~ "What Braintalk Means to Me" or "How Braintalk Helps Me" ~ voices from the community inviting others to join in our conversations.

Any chance we could jazz up the page with graphics or photos? How about seasonal photos ~ like for now a beach/ocean scene, falling leaves in autumn, snow in winter, fields of flowers in spring? Peaceful settings ~ waterfalls, meadows, mountains, lakes, that sort of thing. Maybe change the photo every 2 weeks? Just to keep it interesting?

Definitely delete the articles to nowhere: BT history and future. You can find a place for them, whenever someone writes the articles! Replace them with the Welcome to Braintalk and Member Quotes.

There is ton of white space on the Home Page, which could be utilized in creative ways.

Thanks for all you do for us, Mike! You're the best!
    Rose, I agree with what you said.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast