Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protandim ?

Distinguished Community Member

I am kind of interested, but waiting to see what happens with you for one thing.
    Virginia

Virginia, I am not on any DMD's but if I were, I would discuss taking supplements with my doctor. He may not know anything about herbs and you may need to go to an integrative biological doctor if you can find one. You know that what helps one person may not help another and we are all different in how we react. As I have reached a point where I wanted to try alternatives because the main stream medical treatments have not worked for me....Solumedrol, Avonex, and IVIG...these conventional treatments might help you.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I am promoting Protandim to the exclusion of other advice. My doctor is stumped and has not offered me any other treatments at this time.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

I wonder if I just took the ingredients on next visit and let him see what is in it then maybe he could tell me if it would be alright for me to take along
    with my other meds, especially the DMD I take. The only alternatives I take are Omega 3s, vitamin D3, and when I remember I take my calcium and magnesium
    at night. So I am really not taking any vitamins.
    Virginia

That would be a good idea and hopefully if he doesn't know he will look up the herbal supplements and see if there are any counter indications to taking them with the Rebif.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

So far, I have taken it off and on for over a week. In the beginning there is a de-tox effect and I stop when that happens for a couple of days and then restart again. If you have been through a cleanse with herbals you know what I am talking about. Not anything else to report.

I do have fasting blood work next week so I'll report back if anything has changed on those values.

Gabriella

Default Wheelchair Kamikazi

Marc who has posted here on Brain Talk has a blog which I go to and read on a regular basis. His most recent one (July 19) discusses his trial of the herbs which are contained in Protandim but on an individual basis.

It is very informative and he is seeng a naturapathic doctor who is directing his taking of the herbs. He blogs as http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-29-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Default protandim

I took protandim for 3 months then noticed that my eczema breakouts hardly exist any more. cholesterol has stayed at an acceptable level as well as great blood pressure.. have been on it now for 3 years still no major breakouts of eczema which is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Virginia, I have only been taking it for the past two days after doing a lot of reading about the different herbs all of which are beneficial to health. I watched one video that reported Protandim is in GNC stores but I ordered mine from Amazon after watching Montel's video several months ago. I waited until I was off the IVIG infusions as I did not want to complicate the results. The IVIG infusions I received did nothing for me and the doctor wanted to stop them. His words were "He didn't want to cause me any more harm". My kidney function tests were climbing above the normal range.

It will take a while before I will be able to report any benefits as one video says that results take at least two weeks to show on the T-bar blood work the researchers are doing. I decided not to go for T-bar blood tests but just to have the normal blood work that my PCP does to keep up with progress. Research is ongoing at several universities and is being funded by the universities. Since herbs are a natural God given treatment Big Pharma is not interested in spending money on research as they would not be able to get a patent for exclusive rights on a natural substance. Dr. McCord who has been researching these herbs for the past 40 years has been able to get a patent on the combination and quantities for the product.

If anyone wants to research the herbal ingredients go to the google search engine and enter the name of the herb. Herbal medicine has been around for thousands of years. If you want to research dietary supplements on the National Institutes of Health here is the site:

http://od.nih.gov/factsheets/Dietary...hProfessional/

It takes about 8 weeks to get the full benefit according to what I have read.

Gabriella

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bertman98 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I took protandim for 3 months then noticed that my eczema breakouts hardly exist any more. cholesterol has stayed at an acceptable level as well as great blood pressure.. have been on it now for 3 years still no major breakouts of eczema which is amazing.
    Welcome, bertman98! Since this was your first post, I'm sure you'll want to tell more about yourself in another post soon. You'll get replies, and if you subscribe to the thread, you'll receive e-mail notifications pretty soon after the replies are posted.

You can go to Settings at the very top of the screen on the right, then go to General Settings, and find "Thread Subscription Mode." There is a drop-down menu there that will give you the option of instant e-mail notification.

Sorry if this information is old hat to you. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that.
    Last edited by agate; 06-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Gabriella, Since this is a thread from 2012, I'd like to know if you
    are still taking Protandim, and if so, how are you doing on it?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I have watched the videos and read the links. I am a firm believer in the benefits of milk thistle as a liver protectant. It has really improved my quality of life. However, if I use Green Tea more than very occasionally, my vision and bladder have problems and the MS acts up. We are all different and I think we need to find what works for us individually. I will not take any multi-substance supplement any more. I have learned over the years that after a week to a month on even natural multi-substance supplements, my MS acts up and it may take days, weeks or months to right what is going on as a result.

Everything that has been posted as a link or video is 2-8 years old. The fact that Protandium cannot be purchased in any drug store, GNC or any vitamin/supplement shop online is disturbing. Anything that (as Montel says in his video) "boosts" the immune system, is contraindicated in MS. Our immune systems are already over active and boosting them even more, for most of us, means trouble.

That said, if, having tried all usual means of treatment you have not found any relief or improvement, then I encourage you to do the kind of research you are sharing here and do what you feel you need to to take care of yourself. I say that on an individual basis and not to everyone starting out with an MS diagnosis. There are still a lot of us out here who had MS for years before any treatment other than steroids was available and , for us, treating might have come too late to have made a positive difference in our lives or health. Those are ones that might benefit from something like this. I would NEVER recommend something like this to a newly diagnosed person when we KNOW that the therapies approved by the FDA (10 of them now) actually have a regulatory effect on the damage to the Central Nervous system and postpone or slow neurological decline and disease progression.

I advocate a good well balanced diet, minimal or no alcohol use, no (ABSOLUTELY NO!!!) tobacco use in any form and a proven disease modifying therapy (DMT) until such point as you have exhausted all treatment options and must resort to untried and unproven money making supplements of this nature. If it has worked for you Gabriella, I am grateful. I will not, however, after reading all of the links and watching the videos you have provided, try this myself because I have learned from my mistakes in doing such things in the past.

Please, keep us posted on how you are doing on this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast