Thread: Some Doctors Are Better Than Others!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Some Doctors Are Better Than Others!

Here's a new blog post about our doctor - my personal hero!
    http://www.donnathomson.com/2012/06/...an-others.html
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Wow housecalls! That would be great! We have online options for communication too, I love it! Makes life a little bit easier! One question I was wondering about....yesterday you posted about a new med for Nick, not covered. Just wondering how that works in Canada with universal health care? Everything is not covered? Here we have ins thru Brian's work, which for Caitlin is primary so claims go thru them first and whatever is not covered then goes thru her Wisconsin (state) medicaid, which pays the difference. It can be a hassle for us at the pharmacy at times as our primary demands we go thru mail-order which WMA (state) will not pay difference for...so the WMA pays for 100% of her drugs. Goofy, yes! I guess it is a lot of paperwork for the pharmacy too, but I've been going there for years now and they all know us and never complain about it to me (a closer pharmacy did complain and give me grief about it which is why I didn't switch to the closer one when it opened and continue to go a few miles out of my way). Just curious as I very strongly wish we had universal health care here in the US...nice to hear firsthand how it works for other countries. :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

I am so glad to have this conversation, Lisa! We need to look at each other's country's insurance policies and have a think about what works and what is fair and take best practice examples from each other! We have universal health care, but that means hospital/doctor care ie primary care. Drugs are another matter. Some (most) are covered under the drug plan that goes with the provincial (ie State) disability pension benefits, but some are not. It's complicated and patchy. Right now we have highly unusual drugs running in Nick's spinal cord pain pump that aren't run of the mill so aren't covered. For some reason depakene (keppra) anti seizure drug isn't covered. Neither are stool softeners. Right now we're paying over $2500. We're seeing what can be done and working with private ins. as well. Complicated!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

WOW Donna! thats super cool! I have had some docs that refuse to even see me due to my "brain defects", yesterday a cardiologist told me to just 'deal with being sick" and go off ALL my meds. My nuerologist is ticked royally. HE is my hero. Sees me once a month and calls to check on me.
    Knowledge is Power!

Blog Entries

Good grief - the cardiologist sounds insane. The neuro is a keeper for sure. Perhaps you should ask around to see if you should report the cardiologist. His remarks to you were actually dangerous!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Finally, I had a chance to read your blog post and this thread. I've been occupied so much with the other two threads I started!

Dr. Eaton is a hero, and I thank him for providing such wonderful care to his patients, especially Nick. He shouldn't be the exception. He should be the rule. Every physician should demonstrate the same compassion and concern for all patients.

Jon's primary care doc offered to make house calls, but his medical group won't allow him to do so. Liability. And once you start doing that for one patient, you open yourself up to being expected to do it for other patients, his group claims.

Our GI doc came out last fall to replace Jon's Gtube. That's almost unheard of anywhere. He is a very kind man.

Our pulmonologist/intensivist is top notch, but he left the group, which takes Medicaid patients, and joined the group that doesn't. So, Jon can't have him anymore, when he goes into the hospital. That is so disappointing to us.

The surgeon, who did Jon's colostomy and saved his life, is top notch in all regards. Very easy going, easy to talk to, has a sense of humor. Same for the orthopedic surgeon.

It's the doctor, who makes time for you, and makes you feel like you are his most important patient, who is the best healer.

((((((Lisa))))))

Regarding universal health care ~ it's great, but it has flaws. Perhaps generic drugs are covered, where brand name is not. Some drugs are excluded specifically because they are so outrageously expensive. Cancer drugs, antibiotics, dialysis drugs ~ $3,000 and more for one dose.

Jim is applying for Medicare. It has 3 parts: A- Original Medicare, for hospitalization; you've paid into the system for this through taxes B - Outpatient care, doctor visits, nursing home care; you pay a premium to a private insurance company for Part B and Part D ~ drugs; you pay a premium to a private insurer. DRUGS has its own separate coverage, and not all meds are covered!

I believe that we need universal health care on a single payer basis, and health insurance should be non profit. And if we don't regulate the pharmaceutical industry on pricing, and the DME's on pricing, then we continue to get gouged.

Also universal coverage doesn't mean that everyone receives good care, just that everyone is entitled to receive some kind of care.

An English friend of ours had surgery recently, and she has private insurance, so she went to a posh hospital, with top of the line staff and facilities. Her choice if she used an NHS hospital wouldn't have compared in any aspect.

Jim's sister in law died waiting for chemo. She was "in line" to receive it. If she had had private insurance, that outcome would likely have been different.

And, if I think that Canada has something similar with private insurance. A friend of ours in Alberta mentioned that to me at the time of her surgery.

On the other hand, France has the #1 health care in the world (last time I looked). And believe it not, Cuba is pretty high on the list.

Michael Moore's documentary (I think it's called "Sick") is eye opening. It's a few years old, but still applies.

Medicine is Big Business. $$$$$$$

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

my nuerologist reported this doc.. and is sending me to one that deals with autonomic disturbances.. an electrophisiologist(sp?). They are more then happy to "deal with me"
    Knowledge is Power!

Donna is right-no matter who you are finding the right doctor is so important

Rose just saw sicko again-so maddening we as a country won't change how Health care is paid for. It's not working, we need to wake up!

AC-Gal; that's a common thing being disabled, no matter what it is, people assume you need specialized everything! When really we don't, we need whatever service they provide!! Sometimes you just need to go through a couple whatever before you find one that's not phased..

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

I watched Sicko a few yrs ago...I loved it! I wish Brian would watch it...he is on the opposite side than I am politically so we have 'lively' discussions, lol. He is starting to see my side though on health care, he often brings up Japan's system, theirs is non-profit I guess. I don't remember the exact details, but I agree that health care should be non-profit. I used to work for an insurance company (home & auto, not health, but still) all the excess money was crazy, IMHO!! When I think of the way it was there and wonder if it is the same way at health insurance companies, it makes me sick. I wasn't aware that part B you have to go thru a private insurer. I wonder what my parents are doing...my mom retired a little over a yr ago and my dad is retiring in 2 wks actually! They worked at the same place, but he kept working longer to keep insurance for them both. My mom had breast cancer (13 yrs ago) so she would never qualify for insurance. I should ask them about it. :) My dad will only be 64 but my mom turns 65 this yr...probably doing COBRA until her bday I am guessing. With all the paperwork I do for Caitlin, I just wish it was 'single payer' so much of that all could be streamlined. I just got a letter today from the diaper supplier that I will have to mail or fax the EOB's from primary insurer so they can bill the MA. I will be glad next yr when all my kids are in school all day so I can keep up with the medical paperwork/busywork better. Right now I just drop it on a huge pile on my kitchen desk area and look at it as seldom as I can.

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!