Thread: Freaky sensation in spine

Distinguished Community Member

Default Freaky sensation in spine

The last couple of months now I guess I have noticed a grating or cracking sensation in my L5/S1 area. This is where I have the one disc sliding off the other..what is the technical term sublexation?
    I popped my knee cap off once as teen and that is what this reminds me of, I can feel it moving wrong and when I take a step it is like a grating going on.
    I know if I go in to see my doctor she will order another MRI, send me to another surgeon who will ask the ''are you able to get around, have you lost bowel or bladder function?" when I say no they say well lets leave it alone for now. Not that I want surgery because I do not have any sort of support system to help with that.
    I am just wondering if anyone else gets that grating sensation or maybe I am more out of it than I think.

Community Member

Default RE: Freaky sensation in spine

My spine "snap crackles and pops" also. Numerous doctors have said it's nothing to worry about. i'm not sure if it causes arthritis or not though. That might be an "old wive's tale (like cracking your knuckles causes arthritis)..

Distinguished Community Member

Karen, I get that feeling in my spine too. Right now I get it at the highest level of my spine. It is irritating but like you it isn't worth going to a doctor to end up not having anything done to change it.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

If I understand, it is kind of like the sensation when you "crack" your knuckles. It is most likely due to arthritis in the spinal column. Most likely nothing to worry about, but certainly something to mention to the doctor when you see him again.

After 30 years of spinal trouble, there isn't a noise that surprises or alarms me anymore. Currently, I am hearing something that sounds like castanets. I think it is all of that hardware. Surgery is the court of last resort and requires multiple opinions. Don't ever look to it to eliminate pain. It is for stability. Best wishes.