Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am so scared

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tell ya if I hadn't have gotten my craft room mostly done I would be a crazy woman. I have been in that bedroom for three weeks and today was the first time I have actually been out of the house, the yard, since two days after my surgery.

Cj gets up early so goes to bed early which means I have to vacate the bedroom. Go in my craft room and play on puter and craft and watch tv.

So my foot. Hurts like the dickens. The incision, my ankle, the arthritis in the metatarsal of my foot aches from using my foot as a wheelie bar lol. My flippin' back hurts from sitting in that dang bed.

So I been trying to use my foot a bit more thinking that cause I was getting my stitches out today I was closer to walking then while At the docs I notice that there is spot in the middle near my stitches that I never noticed so then Cj says it looks like it has been seeping. Great. Doc comes in and starts removing my stitches and says it may come a bit open in places just keep a band aid on it. Says I can shower tomorrow. Yeah right lol.

When I get home I take the pretty neon bandages off and the whole top of my incision, a good half inch is open and is seeping blood, dissolved stitches and what looks like iodine so am thinking it is old blood and went to pick what looked like a dried piece of blood and a nice size flap of skin started coming up. Yuck and so now I have to be even more careful to keep that closed up and quite frankly feel like it is a set back. He wants me back in a week to check that the incision is closing. It hurts worse than ever so am keeping an eye out for infection.

I asked if there was a guesstimate as to how long before the swelling went down and I could see about getting orthotics. He said he didn't know. Can you believe that? A doctor told me he didn't know, not even a guesstimate. I think my mouth fell open. How refreshing. Don't know how many times a know it all doctor gave me misinformation or got my hopes up because they couldn't say 'I don't know'. I have actually learned quite a bit in just the short time I have seen him. Think I found another keeper. Too bad he is stuck in that inefficient, rude office with my regular doc.

Okay I'm done complaining. Love yous guys

Distinguished Community Member

I'm sorry you are having a bit of a set back with the site, but hopefully it won't be for long. When Mr.Q had his kidney removed last fall I just knew the site was infected after they pulled the staples out here at the house, but in about 3 days it was looking much better. I hope the same will hold true for yours.

I'm glad you found a good doctor, finding one with an ego small enough to admit they are don't have all the answers is a rare thing.
    Take Care.
    karen

Chris,hopefully no infection!

you take care Chris & tell us what you're making in that craft room.
    (((hugs))) Pati
    Last edited by Buttons2; 07-13-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Christina - Please know you are in my prayers. I too have foot and leg pain that is qute severe due to arthritis and Peripheral neuroapathy so I have a pretty good idea of the pain. Hang in there, I truely hope that the things you are asking for come true for you and that they properly medicate you for pain. If possible, in the hospital when you meet your surgeon and anethesiolagist - INSIST on a PCA PUMP (Patient controlled pain medication - you get a little button that you push and it gives you a dose of Pain medication and then locks out (no drugs are delivered ) for whatever length of time the doc sets it at. this way, you have a bit more control when the nurses are sometimes overworked and underpaid. they do a tremendous job but in my experiance are overworked and very busy - i have the utmost amount of respect for them for the job they do. I have had to wait up to an hour for a nurse to bring me one (pain shot) when I was in the hospital. it is not there fault so that is why if I EVER have to have surgery again I will take my own advice. Hope this finds you well and as pain free as possible - as far as being rude, Pain can bring out the worst in any of us and I, at least, have taken it out on people who were trying to be helpful and had to call later to apolagize.
    Best of luck
    Blessings
    Alex44
    skypilot

my doctor promisdme something other than just honey for my oot this thursday. i know you are nuts by now so since it has been since our 45 annivesary may 26, i am past being crazy and back to trying to be sane now. it is the pitts being home alone so much. every door jam seems like a mountain for me to roll that knee walker over it. i think your giving that wheelchair to that man will bring its reward back to you sweety. i really do you are such a good person and i hope you know that. heck i don't even know what date it i most of the time leave alone what day. just all alike and hubby still has his fire department plus church nights and trainin g nights so i am use to being alone a lot now i guess.

so you all know why i sneak in here to chat with you all.

Chris, How's your foot now?

Joy, I hope you are doing better too. That would be hard being in bed and not being able to move freely around.

hope both of you heal fast.
    Last edited by dawnmn; 07-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Blog Entries

Still have a little over an inch still open and seeping. Still bed bound. Very unhappy.

Blog Entries

Default I just wanted to say

That the reason I havent been on much is cause every time I come here I just wanna cry and do the wah, wah, wah, and I could just babble on but I am trying to hang on to a bit of sanity here while I spend most of my day in bed with my foot up.

I don't know what I was thinking, I was gonna get lucky and this would be not a big deal. Tumor was pretty huge and very involved. A thick layer of dead tissue is on top because of course it was covered in callous so that tissue will never heal together just dry out. Problem is the tissue underneath that is not healing when that is drying and shrinks. Doc is checking on a weekly basis. His instructions are confusing cause he told me to rub cocoa butter into it as it heals so that will keep the scarring down but then tells me to get this stuff called 'smashing violet' or some such thing on it to dry it out. Now don't quote me on the name of the product because both Cj and I were standing there and I made him repeat it a couple of times because it seemed a bit odd to me. Then when we got home we both seemed to be struck by amnesia and were unsure of what we had heard. I have googled through many creams and found nothin close.

Thank you Alex. Actually have had very little pain from the surgery. It was outpatient. I had my surgery on a Monday morning and took my last real dose of post op scrip that Wednesday morning. The doc actually gave me a pretty unusual scrip for pain. He actually gave me Demerol. I have never had that offered and didnt even know they handed out scrips post op for it like that. Usually they wanna send me home with Tylenol 3 or some such and I just tell them forget it I have my own meds at home. Between the weather, limping around on crutches and sitting in this dang bed I have a whole batch of the usual flaring up so every once in a while I take something. Need a break from the constant pain if ya'll know what I mean.

Joy I so tried to get a knee scooter but my dang insurance wouldn't cover that nor a surgical boot. Doc says better to wrap and wear own shoes to keep swelling down anyway. Not that I have had reason to attempt to put a shoe on it. Fibro, arthritis and crutches do not mix very well. I so understand how difficult it is to be unable to get around. I know it could be worse but I am just crushed that I am spending yet another summer, another good sized chunk of my life wasted recovering from yet something else. I live in a state of recovery it seems lolol. Sorry kinda had to laugh

Yeah see I've gone on again.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 07-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.

i am sorry if i got onto your pages, i seem to have long lost all sanity. i am actually down to marking off the calendar as one day is much as the last. hubby stays busy day and every night is something. geeze if it isn't going to see about something for someone elsewell always something. i am still long time away from it being covered with skin.

at least he did not stick a q-tip in tthe ulcer i managed to get walking around on bad foot.

my biggest gripe is that insurance will not pay for amy of this because i am not a diabetic. sure i am glad to not be a diabetic but in reality i am far worse off than most diabetics, doubt if anyone who had my hands that do good to 2 finger type, can not button anything, put in earrinf nor insert those nice supossitories when neded well just complzaining. seems to ffit my mood.

another summer of being stuck at home. seems one weeken is all i ever get away each summer.

lets race. stay down and heal. grand daughter does not want to come when i am down and i do not blame her. in fact no on seems to want to come but at least a dear woman came lastthe other night and still yuet another one tonight. not family but church friends. good people and i was desperate to TALK to someone.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

chris... could it be "gentian violet" cream the doc was talking about?

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast