Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am so scared

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Default I am so scared

You know I am looking forward to this surgery but I am scared to death of the aftermath. I want to be so careful but I am not good on crutches and can't just sit in bed for three weeks.

I guess I am mostly tired. I counted and this will be my 12th surgery. I am looking into voluntary amputation lol. With these feet I may need it.

Thought I was going to have to make a trip to the ER Wednesday. The pain was horrendous and was from my toes to my hip. That awful deep bone feeling pain. The neurontin has been a God send. I started taking it yesterday and by yesterday evening it finally started getting under control. Today I was able to get a few things done. Guess I'm not real bright cause I imagine that I am not supposed to be walking around on this thing.

Been watching surgery videos on youtube so I can advise my doc LOLOLOL.

Distinguished Community Member JanM's Avatar

Dear God, please give Christina the peace of mind that all will go well during her surgery. Let her understand that she is your child and you only want the best for your children. Guide the doctors hands as they do the best job of their lives. And please make her recovery the greatest one she ever had. We asked this in your Son's name. Amen
    I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Christina, my husband suffers with feet pain from his diabetis, and has many many nights of pain that just take over his life, my heart and prayers will be with you.. I have seen this kind of pain and I know it really is the kind that hurts to your very soul. Hang on Honey,God is listening and we are too... we will keep you right up front in our prayers for a sucessful surgery and complete recovery! Hugs , Ging

Distinguished Community Member

Don't worry too much we will be there with you when you have surgery. I want front seat with the popcorn.

Just think after the surgery you hopefully won't have such hurting feet. Just get a bunch of things to do while you are in bed for three weeks. It will go fast and before you know it you'll be up and running.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Chris, you may be up & running 3 weeks post-op, but it will likely be in orthopedic shoes. They may cost, but they're a good investment in your feet for the rest of your life. Personally, I'm big on Merrell's. Be kind to your feet, they have to last you forever. Have a wonderful surgical experience & don't fret too much in advance, 'cus you can always b*tch later, right?
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

chris ...

you're prolly going to have a bandage of some sort around your foot, right? i'd get a cheap pair of flip flops to help you walk with the crutches. they won't be as hard as walking on the floor and it might make it easier to use the crutches. personally, i get more freaked out by surgeries. the aftermath means i'm alive .

make shortcake your slave..pay him a dollar a day...see if that's incentive enough. accept casseroles from anyone. bake big chunks of meat that will last a few days.

i wish you a successful surgery and a pleasant recovery.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member JanM's Avatar

After each foot surgery I was fitted with a fashionable piece of footware. It was a about 3/4 inch of hard sponge-like material that couldn't bend with a navy blue strap contraption to hold it on the foot.
    I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

I hope your surgery will be very sucessful & that your recovery will be a quick one. Avoid those youtube videos they are enough to make anyone scared.lol

Chris,find the positive & cling to it. surgery will go well & your recovery will go quickly. your reward will be no more pain!

I agree-don't watch those video's!

will be thinking of you Monday. (((hugs)))Pati

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Oh you guys, set me to tears. Reminds me regularly why I come here. I love you guys. I wish I could do a better job at being a good friend. I tend to be a bit self centered, with my anxiety and so much going on my brain is hard pressed to concentrate on any one thing at a time. Terrible I know. I love and appreciate all of you here. I guess that's why I try to fight so hard to keep us all together here at BT.

CJ will be here for the first two weeks of recovery. Despite my rudeness to the lady that was supposed to schedule my surgery that I insisted be on the fourth, which was an option at the time, things conspired against me to make me wait until the 18th which turned out to be the first day of CJ's two weeks off. I must send her an apology card for my rudeness. Guess pain brings out the worst in me.

Jan I prayed with you and love you all the more for it. Thank you. I am sure I will have all kinds of lovely medical equipment to add to my menagerie. I also will now be the proud owner of a wheel chair. Actually I am glad. That I can use I am sure for a very long time. Should have kept my mom's but I donated it to a disabled man who's chair looked a fright. Oh well. Looks like what goes around comes around lol thank you God.

Jeannie I got a flash of me sittin' in bed in front of a tray with a well roasted brachiasaurus leg on it lol. Oh yeah I have already been gathering up craft kits and I went to a free catalog site and went hog wild and have catalogues to wish on and I am going to make him bring the Wii in here so I can catch up on my playing. I am going to bring a bell in here LOLOLOL that just occurred to me and I have a small brass bell in the living room LOL. I'm not even gonna tell him. I will just pull it out and start ringing it.

(((((Ging)))) hugs right back at ya. Thank you. My arthritis in my feet is just screaming at me from having to walk off. You think you finally come to learn to live with your pain and then something comes along a pain that is just rip roaringly different and you have to learn to live with it too. Kind of like starting over. I gain a whole new appreciation for the strength of those that are already suffering. ((((hugs)))) to your hubby too to help give him a boost during his day.

Dawn speaking of front row. I am gonna ask if they film it and can I have a copy LOL. I forgot to look at the xrays but I want a copy of those too. I am going to have them xray both feet so that I can see what kind of damage my arthritis is doing. Feels like walking with gravel in my joints right now.

Beader I will be using a good sized amount of money on shoes for my orthotics. My doctor told me that when you get orthotics you are supposed to put them in shoes with absolutely flat soles. No support of any kind because your orthotics are made for your feet especially and if you put them in shoes with any other kind of support it takes away from the shape and support of your orthotic. Fortunately my insurance with pay for orthotics once a year. I have been researching shoes, slippers, sandals etc. that will hold my orthotics. I don't want to be stuck with just a pair of walking shoes and I can't stand to be in shoes all of the time. Hot and confining.

Karen thank you. (((((hugs))))) to you and your hubby. I hope you are getting lots of rest and remembering to try and take time for yourself.

Pati I like to watch the videos because then it shows me what happens and what to expect, what my tumor looks like and all kinds of good info. I am not afraid of the surgery per se I guess, it is more that I am afraid of having to deal with an even more massive pain than I am dealing with now and that this is going to be a condition that hangs around. They have a high recurrence rate and I am screwed if he removes the entire fascia to prevent more which I am praying they don't because I will lose a major support for my foot and if he doesn't then they may have to do a graft if I wind up having too much taken out which will be an even longer recovery.

Thank you again ladies. Now I must get off. Stuff to do.

Last edited by houghchrst; 06-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast