Thread: A Blog Post about Who Deserves Tax Dollars and Who Doesn't

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default A Blog Post about Who Deserves Tax Dollars and Who Doesn't

Is your child too disabled to be worthy of being assisted? That's the subject of my latest blog post (an article from another blog called Love That Max - it's great) and a lovely photo of Nick when he was little (looking very, very worthy!).
    http://www.donnathomson.com/2012/06/...s-and-who.html
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Have to agree with this person:

"What this article lacks is reference to the truly astounding cost of special education and services designed to help severely disabled children reach their full potential. Special education and services for a severely autistic child often exceed $150,000. per year. These services are paid by taxpayers from age 3 to age 20.

Is it worth $2,550,000. ( two million, five hundred, fifty thousand dollars), to provide services so that a severely autistic child will be able as an adult to function on a six year old level, instead of on a two year old level?

Isn't it reasonable at around age 12, to move to a "comfort care" concept for special education services, if no significant progress can reasonably be anticipated? To as much as possible keep the child happy and safe, but abandon the $150,000. per year programs that produce minimal results?

I think we should do this for all children with extremely severe neurological problems. Whether it is mental retardation, autism, or some other brain dysfunction. I would also like the author to note that taxpayers do not provide funds for my children, (2 typical and 1 with severe learning disabilities), to reach their full potential. All children could benefit from individualized tutoring and services. Very few children receive them. A goal of only severely disabled children reaching their full potential, when that potential is likely to be extremely limited, is simply unreasonable."

In an ideal world, EVERYONE would get ALL of the funding that they need, but the world is not ideal and money is not unlimited, and one has to be realistic about where and how it is spent, and that is not to say that severely disabled children are any less worthy as people, but unfortunately there does have to be a limit here...

Of course, this issue isn't limited to disabled people. There's the question of, for example, hundreds of millions going towards keeping people in prisons when it has been shown that imprisonment does little to rehabilitate people back into society and instead, only increases recidivism. Do prisoners deserve so many tax dollars? Of course not. But until governments come up with a viable alternative that they are willing to implement, it seems there is no other choice. I think the same applies here.
    Last edited by CPchick; 06-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Exclamation cruelty

Would you want this for YOUR child (if you have one. Every child is a child of god and deserves to reach their full potential. If we were to stop sending all our dollars overseas and jobs, we would have plenty of money for these children and adults. I have seen wonders with the right therapy at an early age. Will you want to be dumped to the side when you get old - it can and will happen already we dump our elderly into homes - go to one sometime and see if YOU would like to live there - much the same if things were what you propose for kids. I hope you have provided for your old age - the goverment will give you your ss but thats all and you will probobly not qualify for food stamps - I wish you the best and think about what i have said - I am not trying to be mean - only real - i wish we had been blessed with children - it was not meant to be - we pay a lot of taxes, the insurance companies cover a lot and still make obscene profits -
    along with big pharma and the Gov.
    Blessings
    Love and light
    Skypilot Alex44
    Last edited by alex44; 06-14-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

There is a huge difference between a 2yr old and a 6 yr old especially I imagine if it is a neurologically challenged child. I don't have any severely disabled children but I can just imagine the absolute joy that progress like that brings to a parent who understands the reality of their child's condition.

Blog Entries

I wrote a lot about the human worth of people with severe disabilities in my book, "The Four Walls of My Freedom". I argued that those with severe disabilities have equal worth, even if they will never be employable or contribute to society in a conventional sense. The basis of my argument (which I got from the amazingly wonderful mother/philosopher/professor Eva Feder Kittay) is that we are all some mother's child. It is the sacred bond between mother and child that forms our civil society and makes us all equal as citizens. The point I made in my book is that if we can get right how to care for our most vulnerable citizens, our most severely disabled and those with complex needs at the end of their lives, we can get everything else right in the realm of how-to in organizing social services and health care.
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com