Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Magazine (Cover Story)

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Abby, I think I do understand that you believe in never pulling the plug under any circumstances. Other people have different beliefs and don't see the harm in some cases which they hope are clear-cut cases of that person's preference. They're
    counting on the legal and medical system to have safeguards against too much plug-pulling.

A while back you were in favor of pulling the plug on this thread, though, and a number of people agreed that that was a good idea. It's clearly a very upsetting topic, and it's probably not helpful for any of us to get upset.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

I did try to end it (this thread). I really did

Abby

now I AM really so done with this thread and this topic on this forum!
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 06-17-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Inflammatory commentary.
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member

Abby, You are clearly getting upset and upsetting myself and others here on this board. You have to realize that we are all going to have to take charge and do the necessary things that will insure that our wishes are in writing concerning our final wishes.

Please don't keep insisting that they are going to be "pulling the plugs" on elderly people. In the first place we have a medical system that believes in extending life as long as possible even if it is not a good life. Who in their right mind would want to be in a vegetative state for years on end?

I don't know where you are getting your information but it is obviously incorrect! Secondly, we have a legal system that is always on the alert for what you are promoting and would be involved in recruiting litagants for a class action lawsuit. Remember the Terry S. case? It took years to resolve that one simply because she had not put anything in writing.

I am tired of your "scare tactics" regarding our current administration and after 4 years of reading your propaganda , it is waaay past time for you to be done with this topic. Thirdly, reading your posts goes against the meaning of "support" for all the people who are here because of having an incurable, progressive, and devastating disease called multiple sclerosis.
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 06-17-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

maybe the mods should close this thread? it's an important subject but it's becoming clear to me there is some emotional turmoil involved.plus the risk of getting banned for getting into politic's?

everyone has a right to their own personal opinion of course. BTW,I was quoting from Mr. Stein's article-he referred to himself as the "death panel". I don't like the term either.

Blog Entries

Abby and Gabriella,
    Abby has clearly stated that she'd like this thread to sink down because she didn't want to upset anyone.

The more you keep posting in this thread, the longer it will stay right up here on page 1.

This isn't a topic that we can discuss rationally here in cyberspace, apparently, at least not on this board. It's a very sensitive subject within families who have to deal with these situations. It's not surprising that we're finding it too difficult here.

We're going to have to agree to let it drop, I think.

Agate, I have posted information from the article in Neurology which is helpful for everyone here I don't find it too difficult to discuss in a rational manner as it is a very important topic which we will all have to face. If Abby wants the topic to disappear why is she still posting the same political lies!

Buttons, Yes, I got that the phrase "death panels" was in Mr. Stein's interview. It originated when the new administration took office....but I never found the source of the term to be in the health reform package. Just a term that was put in place by the other party....

Agate, It is not your place to stop the discussion however, I am certain the moderator will be along soon to close the thread as it is obvious that it needs to be closed due to the political undertones.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 06-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Blog Entries

Gabriella, I very much hope that the moderators won't feel they have to lock this thread. I'm hoping we're adult enough to just let the thread die since Abby would like it to be forgotten.

And it is Abby's thread, after all.

I wasn't passing judgment on any of the posts in the thread.

The author of the Time magazine article is Joe Klein, not Stein, BTW. He was in the news a while back in connection with a novel he published, Primary Colors. It came out anonymously but he was soon revealed to be the author.

Dear Forum Members,

This is an important discussion and I didn't want to close the entire thread, so I deleted the comments I thought were inflammatory.

Please keep on the topic.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

This is an important discussion that needs to be continued tomorrow when I am more able to think constructively.......Gabriella

Blog Entries

I am closing this thread. With the first post edited and the other edits that have been done, the thread is too difficult to follow and just doesn't make any sense if you read it from the start.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234