Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magazine (Cover Story)

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gabriella, it is the Time magazine article I was quoting from. I've changed my earlier post to include that information.

Here's a link to the whole article:

http://cedarsinaipark.files.wordpres...how-to-die.pdf

It's supposed to be available only to paid subscribers to the magazine, but it's accessible on the Internet, as it happens.... And yes, Abby's remarks were based on the article in Natural News, which was discussing the Time article but not actually quoting any of it.

About the deletions--Abby is free to delete or alter her posts in any way within a certain time. We could ask to have the Edit function disabled so that people couldn't change their posts, but I for one wouldn't like that.

One way around it is to use the "Reply with quote" function when you're replying to someone. That's what I did in my previous post. If Abby deleted her post later on, it would still show up in the quote in my post.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

Default Magazine (Cover Story)

I believe we should have the option of clarifying our posts but at the same time when someone is constantly posting something and deleting it within a couple of hours and then not even posting the source of the article they are referring to (and posting material that is meant to scare people), it is hard to know what to discuss.

I do not believe everything I read regardless of the journalist.

BTW, Thanks for replying. Abby is only referring to the Natural News article as she has not read the Time article and you are quoting the article from the Time magazine. It really is getting too confusing to even discuss any more since Abby is not going to come back to discuss her comments.

Thanks for mentioning the "Reply with Quote" button as I have noticed that it can get even more confusing when people come back and change the content of their post.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 06-16-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarifying
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

This whole thread has been so redundant! Not Stupid-sorry!
    ROTFLMHO!!!!

Let's just Fagheddaboudit!!
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 06-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Agreed!

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know how stupid it was though it was clearly potentially upsetting, at least to Abby. She raised an issue that is a concern for many people nowadays.

People can be kept "alive" for many years now but the difference between "alive" and "dead" isn't always clear at all.

But I agree it's time to lay this thread to rest. Abby clearly wanted that to happen, and she's the author of the thread.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Yes, please stop nudging Abby. She tried to revoke the thread.

I would like to especially thank Button's (another Jeanie) for her contribution. That's what we are talking about now.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

I hope Abby has read Jeanie's explanation of what she needs to do to make certain her wishes are known. Here is an explanation which was provided in the latest issue of Neurology Now, June/July 2012. Here is the site addy..... and the name of the article is "The Future is Now". It goes over the financial and estate planning for people with neurological issues. After you go to the main site you can access "journal content" to find the article. Roseanne Cash is on the cover of the journal.

"Nobody can afford to ignore financial and estate planning-budgeting and saving, retirement planning, choosing life insurance, creating a will-no matter their income. People with chronic illnesses are especially vulnerable to the conseqences of poor planning." http:www.neurologynow.com

Everytime I go into a hospital I am asked if I have a living will, directive, or power of attorney. No one can "pull the plug" if you already have made your wishes known and written it down. If you don't have it in writing it can become a nightmare. Remember the Terry Schiavo case?

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 06-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I just finished reading the Time article. now can't even recall the other article (much less what I replied earlier).

we all write based on our own personal experiences (or those of our friends,etc). the son that wrote the article described himself as the "death panel". he was fortunate to find this method of final care. that's my opinion anyway.

if someone else distorted the article to mean old people are going to be killed off-I see that as purely political myself.

keeping old people alive,performing surgery,running expensive tests such as MRI's,to me it makes no sense. and we cannot afford to keep doing this!

there are literally billion's of dollars at stake in caring for the elderly. we as a nation will disagree about anything & everything as we become even more divided in our political & religious beliefs. I think we should follow the motto"live & let live" and add "live & let die" without breaking the bank & to allow people to die with dignity.

just my thoughts-Pati

Yes, the original post was about an article in Natural News which I imagine was more politically motivated. The term "death panel" has only been around since the last election and needs to be changed as I find it offensive myself. The matter needs to be resolved in writing by the persons who are nearing the end of life if possible.

If that is not possible the next of kin makes the decisions and hopefully makes the right ones.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 06-16-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

You are missing my objection to the whole subject IT IS WTONG TO BE PULLING PLUGS!

Abby
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 06-17-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Inflammatory commentary.
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast