Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magazine (Cover Story)

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

Default Magazine (Cover Story)

Deleted - see my post below

Abby
    Last edited by Abby2006; 06-08-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'd be alarmed about it if I thought that the source was a reliable one, but it gives no quotations from the Time article or references to it. I went to the Time Website and found the issue but only subscribers can read the entire article. Maybe someone who is a subscriber can get access to it.

I very much doubt that this is what is in Time:

Inside, the magazine promotes a cost-saving death agenda that encourages readers to literally "pull the feeding tubes" from their dying elderly parents, causing them to dehydrate and die. This is explained as a new cost-saving measure that drastically reduces return hospital visits by the elderly... yeah, because dead people don't return to the hospital, of course.
    It's not that I have so much confidence in Time Magazine. It's that no national newsmagazine with the circulation Time has could get away with "encouraging readers to literally 'pull the feeding tubes' from their dying, elderly parents."

I suspect that the Time article is talking about advance directives that permit a person to choose in advance whether he/she wants to be kept alive by extraordinary measures. If the dying person has chosen not to be kept alive, then--as I understand it, and only after careful deliberation among the doctors involved and the family--a feeding tube MIGHT be pulled.

For that to happen, you need to have given prior consent, and your condition needs to be hopeless by all of the medical standards for determining your chances of recovery.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

this doesn't even shock me unfortuately. Medicare cannot afford all the baby boomer's coming "of age". and yes,I'm one of them!

hurried back to delete this after I remembered the last time I put something out here regarding this subject matter Sally took a spill and admitted the article had upset her and I swore to myseld I would do no one no harm anymore -BUT I was not fast enough but I'm still going to delete as it will be just explained awat

Sorry Sally

Abby
    Last edited by Abby2006; 06-08-2012 at 01:56 PM.

I have not seen the magazine

Abby

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you for deleting it, Abby. I don't recall reading the post by Sally that you mention but in general it's probably a good idea not to post material that might be upsetting to others here.

My main problem with the article was that it's about another article, and yet there's no way of finding out what that article actually said. The author/editor of Natural News may be a perfectly legitimate researcher in the field but that isn't responsible journalism. It amounts to scare tactics on the part of Natural News.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I can't remember the article either, Abby, but it probably was not responsible for my fall. But thanks..
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

I suspect this is some kind of political stunt. people tend to believe anything they read on their computer.

Thanks for deleting it & the explanation.

Ideleted

Abby
    Last edited by Abby2006; 06-10-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Abby, I found a video about end-of-life decisions. Is this what you are referring to? If not, you need to post where the magazine article can be found.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast