Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost a Million people die yearly from Medical Mistakes

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Exclamation Almost a Million people die yearly from Medical Mistakes

Many times I defied my doctor because to do everything he says is sure death. At one point he had prescribed for me 17 different drugs to take DAILY!! 2 were mood altering. At one point I had more drugs in me than food and felt horrible, death would have been welcome.

Now I only take my bp meds and my anti-nausea meds and even those are making me so sleepy all the time I can't do anything but lay around and sleep.

Distinguished Community Member

it is scary isn't it? I always research any drugs & refuse to take most of what my doc offers. we learn the hard way. sad thing is elderly still believe everything a doctor tells them. common sense seems to be a thing of the past. everyone expects a pill to cure them.

you might appreciate this: now there's a syndrome for people who watch reality TV shows. next there will be a pill to cure this affliction I'm thinking!
    Last edited by Buttons2; 06-08-2012 at 12:54 PM.

I know! EVERYTHING is an illness now, even peeing. It's getting obscene. It's called MARKETING, find a need and fill it. It's more like CREATE a need and exploit everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Many times I defied my doctor because to do everything he says is sure death. At one point he had prescribed for me 17 different drugs to take DAILY!! 2 were mood altering. At one point I had more drugs in me than food and felt horrible, death would have been welcome.

Now I only take my bp meds and my anti-nausea meds and even those are making me so sleepy all the time I can't do anything but lay around and sleep.
    id report him to medical board
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Quote Originally Posted by Barque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know! EVERYTHING is an illness now, even peeing. It's getting obscene. It's called MARKETING, find a need and fill it. It's more like CREATE a need and exploit everyone.
    theyll saying pissing too much not pissing steady-they can go to hell-its all lies

i refuse to get a colonsopcpy-get one if you want -i refuse
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Thumbs down

I had one last summer and have been miserable since with all kinds of intestinal distresses I never had before. I was stupid to believe "I NEEDED" TO HAVE ONE AS HE TOLD ME!! Closer to the truth would have been HE need me to have him do it so he could fill some kind of quota he has for doing this procedure. It wasn't about me it was about HIM. After the procedure he abandoned me. Wouldn't even give me meds for pain or nausea. What a B*st*rd!! These kinds of doctors are churned out yearly, I pity us all.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

okay, i can see everyone posting here is fed up with the medical community for some reason.

but let's not bash all doctors and all medical tests, because millions of people have been helped by doctors and by medical tests!

i don't understand how a colonoscopy can cause all kinds of intestinal distresses. it is a very important diagnostic tool. colon cancer, if caught early, has one of the highest cure rates of any cancer! polyps can be removed during a colonoscopy so they don't become cancerous. a colonoscopy is an invasive test, yes, but any damage done is immediately visible or visible within a few hours. that damage would be bleeding from a puncture in your intestinal wall. that would be treated and you would heal. what kind of effects would you get a year later from a colonoscopy?

there is a history of colon cancer in women in my family. i will get a colonoscopy every 5 years if i have to.

why go to the doctor if you don't want to find out what's wrong with you?

the time to look for a good primary care physician is when you are well, not sick. see him when you are well, not only when you are sick. i go and see my primary care doctor just to have a 15 minute chat with him about what's going on in my life and some of my concerns. that way, when i need some med for a tic that is causing me pain, he'll call in a prescription to the pharmacy without seeing me because he knows who i am and he knows what's going on with me.

barque, you keep churning out so much negativity, how do you think this anger is effecting you physically, because i can assure you it probably is more responsible for your current intestinal distress than the colonoscopy you had a year ago is.

barque, i understand you've been going through a rough time lately. i know it seems like nothing is helping and everything is hurting. i can hear your anger and frustration because you are feeling so poorly still. i wish i could help you with this negativity thing, because we all have to take care of ourselves and find solutions to our problems. i don't know what your solution is, but i would keep looking for a primary care doc who you feel you can trust. i know there are good doctors out there! i know doctors only want to find out what's wrong with you when you come to them with a problem. the reason they overtest sometimes is so they can cover all the bases because they are afraid of getting sued later. i have NEVER heard of a doctor having to fill any kind of quota for any specific medical test!!! if you went to a doctor for intestinal probs and i know you have been having probs for quite a while, i don't see that a colonoscopy would be an unwarranted medical test. what if something had been found? but i think the fact that the doctor's can't seem to put a finger on where your distress is coming from is causing you anger.

i want to offer you words of encouragement. have you ever tried yoga? i think a gentle movement yoga class would clear your mind, give your body some stress relief and maybe you might feel better from it.

that's all i can offer.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Yes tc, you're right, I am angry, VERY angry because no one has given me any kind of answer. The 5 polyps they removed were benign. Wouldn't you think he'd have been able to tell that just from their appearance? I am glad they are gone but I still have the constant nausea, day and night and that faint feeling if I stand too long. It's very life-limiting.

I don't like doctors to start with but then to have to deal with their protocols, it's just a routine they are trained to foist on people. Who orders a stress test for a colonoscopy? Even the doctor at the test said that was excessive, needless. And you can bet a gastroenterologist keeps track of how many procedures they do. Of course we don't hear that side of the story tc, it's a BIG secrect, all hush hush. They'd never admit to that, are you kidding?

Last edited by clouds z; 09-03-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast