Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Being a Parent of a Young Man Who is Growing Up -

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Thank you for explaining the RDSP and for the link. What a fantastic approach to solving the long term needs of children with disabling conditions. I can't envision anything like it being implemented in the U.S. So very little attention is given to persons with disabling conditions in the U.S. by our elected officials and politicians. And we have no champions for our cause in higher places.

When my boys were in school during the '80's, our state superintendent of schools actually said that special education was a waste of money, because the students enrolled in the program would never be taxpayers or contributors to society, only a drain on public funds. Oh yes, he did. Decades later, although no one has been so blatant to speak those words, the attitude remains, as evidenced by the budget cuts to many of our social services, medical, and educational programs.

During difficult economic times, no one suffers more than people with disabilities, or who are elderly. Having a savings plan in place makes so much sense. It's too logical for us.

I think we can all relate to the saint vs. B persona in some way, as we've all been pushed to our limit more than once in advocating for our children. There is a great amount of frustration involved in parenting a child with special needs, on so many different levels. That is bound to make us a little ... cranky. As I said, previously.

To balance that I hold the memory of the tears in the thoracic surgeon's eyes, as I kissed and reassured Jon before his trache surgery. That isn't saintly; that is pure LOVE. The surgeon witnessed that love, and he was touched. While I know that he is the best thoracic surgeon in our area, I also know that observing my connection to Jon affected him in the performance of his job. He was emotionally involved at that point of seeing me with Jon.

But love isn't something that can be regulated or legislated. And that's where we come in, as conduits of love for our children, so that their needs will be met and exceeded.

After quite a few interruptions, I think I went off on a tangent here, but now I'm too tired to figure it out!

I agree with you and Natalie that it is quite amazing to feel so connected to someone, who you haven't met in person, and I am grateful for the internet for bringing us together.

More later ~ I need to attend to Jon now.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((CPChick))))))

Your situation absolutely is relevant to this topic, and I'm glad that you are sharing your experience with us. It's wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your new found freedom and independence, and so perfectly natural for you to miss your parents and the security of their hugs and guidance. That is all part and parcel of leaving the nest, and you're doing it, which is fantastic! And no matter the physical distance between you and your parents, they are still loving you and proud of you.

Here is a link to Push Girls, which Donna mentioned in her post. It appears that you can watch the episodes on line:

http://www.sundancechannel.com/push-girls/

Please keep us updated on your adventures!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12