Thread: Does this sound like fibro?

Arrow Does this sound like fibro?

I guess I'm gathering some info to take to my PMD, and this is the best way I can think of.
    I've had pain on and off in my upper arm areas for years. It's now waking me up at night and now it's my shoulder areas also. I do think it's soft tissue related. My neck and around my collar bones are tender on and off also.
    How did y'all get diagnosed?

Thanks,
    suse

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Hi Suse, my Rheumatologist diagnosed me based on symptoms and trigger points. Then major genetic testing at the U of M to which their response is 'you have severe Fibromyalgia' ah yeah, I could tell.

My symptoms became more prominent before my diagnosis with pain in my hands and shoulders and back. The pain in my hands became so bad that I couldn't drive because I couldn't grip the steering wheel and all crafting came to a screeching halt. If I would get poked or bump into a wall with my shoulder I would get severe pain that would scream at me for at least 20 minutes and my upper back was untouchable and hurt constantly. Once I started taking my med routine the pain in my hands and shoulders became less unless ya poke me and while my upper back is still pretty untouchable it aches less constantly. I have a right shoulder that has been dislocated and never healed right and my left is the one I lean against at night to read, for years lol, and for the last two weeks they have both been achey for the first time like this. I think it is arthritis and the weather here is doing it's usual funky fall going between rain and 42 to sunny and 30 and won't settle into it's winter season. Fingers crossed lol.

I was originally sent by my primary doc to the rheumy because he was thinking RA and while all of my tests came out negative it is not uncommon for them to be negative for years before getting a positive. The genetic testing is more reliable.

It sounds a lot like arthritis which I also have. But hey when you throw yourself around when you are young you pay for every bump, bruise, strain and sprain. I have had many of those and boy do I pay lolol.

I hope you find some relief soon.

I have learned, now that I have run out of meds, just how well the fibro and psych meds were controlling the pain. I am in full flare and have been for a couple of weeks.

Have you every taken Glucosamine? I took it regularly for a couple of years for my knee mostly and while I didn't think it worked all the great when I quit taking it within three days I would get popping and sliding in my knee so immediately went back on it.

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Hi Suse. Have you been to the Dr. yet? you know, it seemed to me like Fribro kind of crept up on me and I didn't see it comming.
    Actually I had heard of it, but I didn't know anything about it. I remember the Dr. poking around all over me and the spots hurt like heck!! then he told me I think the next visit. I had so many other things going on with my health I didn't it too much thought at the time.

Well, I had my first bad flare and thats when I really understood what Fibromyalgia was all about. I wouldn't be supprised if the Dr. said you had it, but I hope not. Having wide-spread arthritis is very painful too. You are so young, it's too bad your health has gotten bad. Had I taken better care of myself when I was young I may not be suffering so.

I was a tom-boy!! If brother could do it, I could do it better or die trying! lol I was not very nice to him when we were young!! Pushed a cement flower pot off the bannisters off on his head. He was standing on the ground and I was on the porch. I remember wondering how it would feel to do that to him. Well I couldn't feel his pain, but when I saw all that blood comming out of his head I sure was sorry I did it. I wasn't quiet 2 yrs. old!!

Maybe I am now being punnished for being so mean to him. He told me the other day that he loved me. so I guess he has forgiven me. lol

Suse, you take care and let us know what doc has to say.

all my love, Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Smile

Thanks Jo. I haven't been to my doc yet; I haven't been able to drive since my stroke, so I have to arrange for transportation. Crappy time of year too; my balance is already compromised, and losing my footing in the snow and ice isn't a good thought. ( I need to set an appointment up for a flu shot, mammogram, etc., I think I'll speak to her then. )

suse

Last edited by suse; 12-20-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: typo