Thread: For Mother's Day especially

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default For Mother's Day especially

For all of the mothers who have lost a child, my thoughts are with you this Mother's Day weekend.

This can be a painful holiday for a mother who has lost a child. I wish there could be some way to make it easier.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Agate))))))

Thank you so much for your caring thoughts for grieving mothers. You are absolutely right that Mother's Day is a bittersweet, and often painful day. While we attempt to enjoy the day with our families, deep inside we are silently aching.

My mother died a few days after Mother's Day more than 20 years ago. For a few years, Mother's Day was mixed with sadness. But with my son, who coded on Mother's Day 9 years ago, and died nearly 3 weeks later, Mother's Day is still heart-wrenching. The difference in my grief for them is significant. I still miss my mother, but I long for my son.

It's important for me to stay in the present for Jon and to enjoy Mother's Day with him. But he and I both know that it isn't the same without Michael here with us physically.

The kindness and compassion of loved ones comforts me and helps me to cope. A dear friend sent me a lovely bouquet on behalf of my sons, and my husband brought me a Spanish lavender plant, which I placed in Michael's garden. I'm sure that I will find strategically placed cards all around the house tomorrow morning from my husband and sons. My husband knows too well how difficult this weekend is for me, because he has experienced everything with me.

And we have the double-edged sword, in that we work 24 hours every day to keep Jon healthy and at home. We know that there is more ahead.

I rely on my tried and true coping tools to guide me through these challenging holidays and other special occasions. I give thanks that God gave me the privilege and honor to be the Mother of my children, for however long I am blessed to hold them in my arms until they return to His arms.

And I pray for all of the grieving Mothers that they will find comfort and peace in their memories of their beloved children and that they will feel their children's presence very near to them.

Mother's Day ((((((HUGS))))))

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dear Rose,
    I'm so sorry you've had such a sad loss. I hope that your family will continue to be comforting and supportive.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((agate))))))

Thank you so much.

As I predicted, sweet cards, with heart-felt messages from my husband, on behalf of our sons, and for himself, were placed all over the house this morning. I am so blessed that he understands, and that he loves me enough to make this effort.

After a difficult night last night, which had me up until 3 a.m. with him, Jon's day went well today. No gift is greater to me than Jon having a good day.

Our weather was absolutely gorgeous today, and I felt the positive energy in the warm sunshine and gentle breezes. I could feel Michael's presence.

Now that it's over, I can sigh with relief. I made it through another Mother's Day.

Thank you again, agate.

Bless you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.