Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New forum icons (work in progress)

Blog Entries

Cool New forum icons (work in progress)

Howdy folks :)

Since I don't like the default forum icons I spent a few hours looking for and then finally giving up and creating new ones. I suck at drawing so don't poke too much fun at them

The screenshots below will show you what icons I'm talking about (they are the same icons just different sizes) and what they would look like on the vB4Default and biggie styles. If you want to find/create some alternatives please do so (just reply to this thread and attach them in your reply).

new_forum_icons.jpg

new_thread_icons.jpg
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member

I like these. Easily readable.

Thanks Mike!
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Blog Entries

I'm glad they are easy to read, that was what I was going for :) Simplicity has it's advantages

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

LOL well if that don't say it all. Great job and thank you!

Blog Entries

Ok I have about 80% of the icons made and named properly (boy did the vB team come up with some odd names for these icons ), and have about 20 or so more to make and name. Then I have to add some new "phrases" to the vB language to place the new icons in the "forum legend". Once all of that is done then it's test time At least that part should only take a few hours. If all tests well you will not only have new forum icons, but a new forum skin/style/template to check out :)

Step 1 - log in

Distinguished Community Member

Woo-hoo! We love new toys!

Thank you, Mike!
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Blog Entries

Ok I think the new icons and style are ready to go :) The new style is called "Futuristic Whirlwind" and is currently the only style using the new icons. There are 4 other "Whirlwind" styles of different colors that I will slowly be working on. All of them will be using the new icons.

Step 1 - log in

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wanted to see what the new style was like, but after switching to it I found I have no way of switching back. The Quick Style Chooser at the lower right comes up blank.

I don't pay much attention to the "old" and "new" icons except to look for a symbol showing if I've posted in a thread, and once I learned about e-mail notification, I don't look at those very often either.

But if I were looking at the new icons, I wouldn't find them easy to see. I hate to be constantly giving negative feedback because I know that the administration here is working hard at a difficult task, and I do appreciate all of your effort.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Blog Entries

Agate click on "forum actions" up near the top of the page and then click on "general settings". Scroll down to the bottom and change your style there. Not sure why the quick style chooser is broken :( I did forget to add the tanks mod thanks for pointing that out :)

Why do you find the new icons hard to see?

Don't worry about giving negative feedback, I didn't expect everyone to say "wow awesome!" *biggirn

Step 1 - log in

Blog Entries

Fixed the quick style chooser :)

Step 1 - log in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast