Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaking During Seizure

Hi Folks,

Yesterday I had a sz. and my DH saw it and told me that I was shaking during the sz. This is scaring me because it hasn't happened to me except when I was a kid when I first started having sz. and
    I wasn't on any AED's. Most of you know I have absence (petit mal) and complex partial sz. This sz. felt like an absence sz. after it was over but I'm concerned about the shaking part and what type of sz.
    this could be.
    I called my Epi and the nurse increased my vimpat dosage to see if that will help but I'm a little concerned there also after finding out that vimpat can cause mental problems and increase sz. I just
    hope that this doesn't happen. Have any of you ever heard of an absence sz. where a person might shake a little? I just hope I'm not headed for tc sz. Thanks for your time and help. All of you are wonderful
    people and a blessing to me. May God Bless All of You!

Sue

Sue I hope the dosage increase helps instead of making things worse and that you find out just what is going on.

Comment

Sue,
      My family say that I do shake some when I have the ones that I don't remember (absence?) It is not a hard shaking. I'm not sore the next day or anything.
      I will be praying for you. All we need is for something new to start.
      Love & Hugs Becca

Comment

Sue,

A tonic clonic seizure would involve first a "stiffening" stage, (tonic) then the "shaking" stage, (clonic), which is more accurately described as a "repetitive jerking contraction and relaxing of the muscles." Even just a clonic seizure would entail first a total loss of consciousness, then the clonic stage. This does not sound like what you describe in your post. However, there are many types of seizures. Most of them fall under the variety of partial seizures, and depend on where the focus is, how they appear, whether or not consciousness is impaired, and how much of the brain it effects. For the years that I have known you Sue, you have always had only absense and complex partials. What you describe certainly sounds like it could be a complex partial. They certainly can effect the motor cortex, and make people move their muscles. I knew someone who used to do what looked like a circular dance, whenever she had a CP. The motor cortex can produce anything from twitches and shakes, to jerks, and even "dances", depending on what's going on in the brain.

I wouldn't worry too much, but do talk it over with your neuro.

feelingfoggy,
        Quite a few types of seizures may not be remembered. Any seizure that effects the area of the brain that controls memory would do that. These include all primarily generalized seizure types, and most complex partials.
        Originally posted by feelingfoggy
        All we need is for something new to start.
        Over the past 37 years of dealing with my seizures, I have had lots of new things start. Fortunately, I have also had quite a few things just disappear as well. I have also known someone go from having more seizures in one day than I could count,(she might have 50+) to none at all in over 10+ years, and is now off all meds. Yes, there is hope!

Best...
        Last edited by Firehorse; 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM.
        Firehorse
        *fire*rodeo

Comment

Hi Folks,

Thank you for all of your support, prayers, and info. regarding my sz. I greatly appreciate it.
          Firehorse, thanks for all the detailed info. just to let you know I have brain damage on both the right and left temporal lobe and also on the frontal lobe. Years ago I only had damage on the right temporal lobe but I've had
          so many sz. over the past 40 yrs. that the damage has now spread to the frontal lobe and left temporal lobe of my brain. Usually when I have a complex partial sz. I will just wander around the house or work and once in awhile
          I will have muscle spasms around my mouth so I won't be able to speak but I'm conscious at the time.
          Thanks again for all of your help you are all wonderful friends to me. May God Bless All of You!

Sue

Comment

Working...
          X