New Community Member Aspigander's Avatar

I'm pretty good. You?

Been missing everyone!

New Community Member Aspigander's Avatar

How's Allie doing, Peg?

Quote Originally Posted by Aspigander View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How's Allie doing, Peg?
    She had a huge problem with muscle spasms and cramps in her hands/wrists/fingers in July. That has cleared up, but her OCD stuff is pretty bad right now. She is refusing to get on the school bus, so I'm having to transport her to and from school. AND the air conditioner in my van has recently gone on the fritz. The heat seems to bother her less than me...Aternoon temps have been around 110!

Hey everyone! Summer was busy and fun, but we didn't get as much accomplished as I had hopped! We just got back from the cape - that's a story for you guys! My brother, his GF & my nephew (8) came up from NC & spent the week with us. I also got to see my grammy & spent a day in Nantucket with E!!

Now I'm scurrying around trying to get all the lose ends tied up for the fall. We are planning to sign Coley up for cub scouts, soccer, TKD, and either music or lego club, plus he has CCD.

We are going to try a new strategy this year...keep him busy so that he has only a certain window to do HW - it either gets done or it doesn't...no more time to flounder or procrastonate...the consequence will be all on him at school! In addition to the activities we are going to put the priority at home on home & family. HE will HAVE to figure out how to get his homework done on his own. We plan to have a pretty rigid routine that will allow time for homework of course, but we will enforce getting the chores & things done and prioritize family & 1x1 time, and not the homework. That's the plan anyway...cross your fingers!

And surprise surprise...never heard back from school regarding the FBP or the results. Coley's been assigned to Mrs O @ the same school.

I haven't really made any headway in terms of where would be a better fit for him...my plan is to disolve the IEP this year. My gut tells me to do this...it is not out of anger or frustration - I think they are doing him more harm by treating him differently and they seem to refuse to nurture him into not needing it...so I'm planning to wean him off everything.

School starts 8/31 for him and I plan to contact K for a meeting ASAP...my first move will be to trim down the reading help (he's at 5x/wk now)...by Christmas break I'd like him completely done with it. ST...is a bit tougher for me to decide on...he's going 1x/week now...perhaps leave that and go to 2x/mo in the 2nd quarter then none after break too???? I'd like to discuss suspending the IEP for the 2nd half of the year to monitor him...then hopefully in 4th it will be completely eliminated???

Audrey will be in K full time when Coley is in 4th - I can go back to work then and will have more options in terms of schooling for him. So I'll need to spend the next year looking into the options. I don't think home schooling is a good idea for him. He needs the interaction with his peers to much. I just need to find the right school format.

I think Sudbury Valley is out as an option...but that doesn't mean there aren't other schools that would work for him, like a charter or Waldorf or something...I need to look around.

So that's my plan. I spent a lot of time hemming & hawing...it's taken me quite a bit of time to get over my anger & frustration and be able to assess him and the situation clearly. I feel good about my plan at this point. I do think that they make more out of his difficulties than they should, and I do think they approach them all wrong. I've tried REALLY hard to get them to see them and approach them in a more constructive way but it just keeps backfiring...I think he would do much better without being nit-picked. Hope that makes sense.

Pegs, I'm SO sorry to hear that Allie is still struggling with the OCD and muscle difficulties...I pray so much for you guys, it doesn't seems to help and I SO wish I could...what are your next steps?

Ok, I'm off to run an errand then I need to pick them up at my MILs...they are having a play date with their cousins right now.

I'll be back...

Kristen, Its so nice to hear you have a plan that feels right. I hate those periods of indecision and uncertainty. I really think schools would serve their students better if they really heard what the parents (especially the parents who are on top of things) are saying. Your plan sounds spot on!