Thread: When your shunt is blocked....

Alberta Canada, with a Beatiful view of the Rockies

Default When your shunt is blocked....

When your vp shunt is blocked where does the pain start?
    My pain has been off the charts again along with vomiting and severe pain... The pain seems to start at the back of my head... It went on for 3 days straight and let off a bit after I leaked ( csf out my nose) and it's coming back tonight..My situation is a little different because I have a CSF Leak and Hydro... odd combination I know...
    Also what happened to Brain talk and where is everyone?

Thank you for your replies guys....
    Brain/Pit tumor=17 brain surgeries 20year csf leak(Feb, 1993) After initial tumor removal!, SPMS , Hydrocephalus from a intraventricular hemorrhage! Panhypopituitary, Diabetes Insipidus, tension pneumatocele, ( air under the skull next to the brain), 2 craniofacial craniotomies, several shunt revisions, 7 bifrontal craniotomies ... Dag "If I started crying I wouldn't stop!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dagaz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When your vp shunt is blocked where does the pain start?
    My pain has been off the charts again along with vomiting and severe pain... The pain seems to start at the back of my head... It went on for 3 days straight and let off a bit after I leaked ( csf out my nose) and it's coming back tonight..My situation is a little different because I have a CSF Leak and Hydro... odd combination I know...
    Also what happened to Brain talk and where is everyone?

Thank you for your replies guys....
    I would go to your doctors or the ER. I also have a VP shunt, and my pain starts behind my eyes, and eventually the pain just encompasses my head. Its better to be safe and go the doctor or ER than to not and something happen.

New Community Member

I developed a blocked shunt shortly after I went back to work.
    The day it blocked my head was hurting off the chart. The pain was awful, but it was only in my head.
    As UTC12 says, time to see the neurosurgeon.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

dagaz, I happened to notice your post. I'm so sorry you've been such a rough time.

I hope you'll be on the mend soon!

As for where all the people are, some are still around. The BrainTalk boards may still be adjusting to a somewhat different format.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Alberta Canada, with a Beatiful view of the Rockies

Thanks guys I've noticed the pain behind my eyes but thought that was one of my MS symptoms as Optic Neuritis is similar pain. I have a ct booked for the 4th ... I know great speed on that one hey? The Dr. also ordered a pan to see where the end is in my abdomen. When the reservoir is pressed it is extremely slow to refill and it kind of hurts my bladder for some reason when it's pressed. I hope my Neurosurgeon can help either way. As most of you know I have a CSF leak as well and as of late it has increased... I have been leaking since 1993. There is a NS in the states that specializes in this repair and I'm thinking of trying anything at this point... even though I've had 16 brain surgeries... I know so much fun.... Again Thanks .....
    Brain/Pit tumor=17 brain surgeries 20year csf leak(Feb, 1993) After initial tumor removal!, SPMS , Hydrocephalus from a intraventricular hemorrhage! Panhypopituitary, Diabetes Insipidus, tension pneumatocele, ( air under the skull next to the brain), 2 craniofacial craniotomies, several shunt revisions, 7 bifrontal craniotomies ... Dag "If I started crying I wouldn't stop!