Thread: Need Help, Advice or something???? Second Thoughts regarding Surgery!

Unhappy Need Help, Advice or something???? Second Thoughts regarding Surgery!

Hi everyone, I will try to make this quick? My Epilepsy two step Epilepsy surgery is scheduled for May 2nd at the Cleveland Clinic! I am having serious second thoughts of having the surgery! I am not afraid of dying, I have been there twice before during my four other brain surgeries for my traumatic brain injury! reason im not afraid I believe in God and Heaven! I am afraid of the possible infection risk's mainly because I got a staph infection in my brain during the third operation! that was horrible! secondly I had respiratory failure twice during the second operation! Then what scares me the most is possible problems with my memory and other cognitive functions! I guess I am talking to myself here and trying to convince myself my Epilepsy isn't that bad? still reality is I had three seizures today! I am confused, lonely and really have no one to talk to about this! any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards Jeff

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Jeff,

My advice to you is to have your Dr. start you on antibiotics a few days before your surgery and keep you on them a few days after the surgery is done. This is what my neurosurgeon did with me when I had my
    surgery and I didn't get any infections. I had all of my right hippocampus removed which is for memory and learning as I'm sure you know. Try to keep yourself active by doing word search puzzles, crossword puzzles and a lot of math
    this helps a persons memory. Don't give up the Cleveland Clinic is one of the best places to go from what I have been told by many people. Just have faith in God. Ask yourself the question will your sz. get any better if you decide
    not to have the surgery done. I know my sz. increased and the brain damage spread from the right temporal lobe to the left temporal lobe from yrs. of sz. I don't want that to happen to you or anybody else. My prayers are with you
    and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks Sue, I can always count on you for some positive thinking when I need it most! God Bless You! Jeff

Community Member

You will be in my prayers!!!

Most appreciated!

Community Member

Default tigerchef

I too will be praying for you!!! I can relate regarding anxiety--but I am reminded this week that fear is not from God. Knowing that however is sometimes, easier said than done. I think there is a preventive plan such as antibiotics, research that. Best wishes you are in my prayers.

I am very good at praying and talking to God. I also ask him to help me and take this and run with it... But!!!! I am also very good at taking that back.. Not perfect, but I do the best with what he gave me....

Distinguished Community Member

Hello Jeff,
    I can understand your fear and anxiety. It is perfectly normal, and I think your doc would be concerned if you were not anxious. However, some is helpful but too much can be a detriment as your three seizures today confirm. I had to write a letter to several people before my surgery to be read if I died during it. I did all of this by myself and no support. I didn't have a computer either. Your faith is a great and comforting thing but remember that your fears are valid as well as your way of letting you know there is something not settled. The God I know is not magic. It is up to me to find out things. To ask the questions that will ally my fears and allow me to go through this with ease, comfort, and grace. That is were my faith comes in. I ask for the courage to find out and get the needed information to help me make the best decision for myself I can and ask to be guided in that direction as well as open to when the answer comes! Someone else holds the instruments during surgery. Ask your docs or team specifically about the areas that are bothering you and tell them why you are concerned. They should listen and not put you off at all!! I too have only heard great things about Cleveland Clinic's epilepsy program including surgery, and would like to work with them some day. I think I would feel comfortable as their patient, but I also would ask the hard questions.
    Who was the docs who did your surgery when you got the infection? Are they the same ones? Is this the same place? Ask if this has occurred to another patient during or after surgery in the past while in their care. Address all those areas to relieve your concerns.
    This is a biggie! You had three seizures today alone, and they have made themselves very known in your life and how much control they actually have over your quality of life. I was scared of the long tern effects of repeated uncontrolled seizures n my brain. Scared enough to risk surgery as you are doing. I was at a good place as I think you are. The risk was very much worth it although there is a huge adjustment afterward. I am glad I did it. I think you will be too, but do ask the team your concerns. Your seizures will not relinquish unless made to by this surgery possibly. They feed off your stress so please try and find out the answers from those people caring for you so you will feel assured of a good recovery. None of us are guaranteed anything, but you have gone to a good place known for quality and made arrangements for your life to be better. Now do one more thing and ask those questions. We are all here for you and will be praying for you. Allow your faith to do its job, but you have to do yours as well. It takes both. I can ask for a help in running around the bases, but I do have to swing the bat and move my feet. That is my part. Do keep us posted and let us know what they say when you call with your concerns. Tattoo
    Last edited by Tattoo2; 03-30-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Tattoo2 Thank you so much! I don't think anyone could have it explained what you did to me any clearer? Just a Fyi The four other operations where all done at Toledo St v's and no they will have nothing to do with this. Thanks Again, you have put my mind and thinking at much greater peace! God Bless. Jeff