Thread: Rupture after coiling

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Default Rupture after coiling

I was wondering if anyone on here had a rupture of their aneurysm after coiling ? I know my doctor has said he will do an MRA in a year , when usually they do a second angio at the one year mark. I just hope that it means I am in that good of a place with this and not something bad, like too much radiation in and around my brain, or the femoral artery is shot with scar tissue ,I am just rambling here , thinking about stuff, I am thankful I am coiled after the five year wait, but now I am anxious about all the maintenance of this monster. So I just thought I would sit and put this down and see if I could get some feed back on this. Thanks to all :)

Community Member

Hi Ging, I was told that the less follow up they want is a good thing. This was at a brain aneurysm support group meeting by a Dr. He said if they thought they needed follow up they would. And, each case is different. The mind can really make us overthink things and I know that mine does. I hope you are well and feeling good today.
    Shelly
    Shelly

Thanks Shelly, you are right about over thinking things, I was just afraid that I may have missed something or " forgot" something he might have said. yes I feel good. :)

Darn our minds for making us THINK about the "what ifs!" I completely relate and now it's hard not to think about things like that Ging. Like Shelly said, it's different for everyone. After my initial rupture and coiling, I was checked at 6 months, then a year, then I think the year after that then not for 2 years. Except for the last checkup, everything looked great. I look at it this way, I'd rather know what's going on than not know. If I had known I had that initial large annie, I would have tried to do something about it instead of waiting for it to rupture, but I didn't know and am damn lucky to be here.

My angiogram for my one year checkup after stenting and re-coiling last Spring is schedule for April 11th, so I'm already "thinking" about the what if's, but I feel good and no symptoms at all, so I'm TRYING to be positive. Your Dr. may have other recommendations for your followups though, so just listen to him and to your body.

Did any of that make sense? LOL I'm not the best "advice" giver, but I try. Everyone here has been such a comfort to me and I'm not as good with words as other are.

Heidi
    Ruptured 11mm annie on 10/5/06. Left internal carotid artery. Coiled at Maine Med. Portland, ME. In hospital 3 weeks. 16 coils. Coils compacting Dec. 2010. Stent implanted 3/16/2011 and 4 more new coils added 4/27/2011 by Dr. Ecker. Another 4mm annie discovered Dec. 2010. Older sister died from rupture 5/29/12. Smaller annie grew & was clipped in Jan. 2014. Check out my Brain Blog: Brain Blog

Heidi, your words are just fine and you can count on me being with you for your april 11th check. I guess I was thinking maybe my age (66) was a factor , but mostly I was thinking maybe my artery was just to scared up and they decided to just go with MRA's, oh well, I waited five years to get coiled because I had no insurance and I am thankful that it is coiled now, It was just tall like a loaf of bread standing on end before the coiling, now it is round like a ball ???? strange. Thanks for understanding my goofy thoughts everyone ! :) Ging

Community Member

Dear Ging,

You are no different than the rest of us. We worry ahead of time and we worry after. I did I do. NO no no - I do NOT worry anymore! Nope!

I did the first year - less the 2nd year and hardly any last year - no worry SO FAR this year!

My point is the more time goes by the less we worry because we just get back into life and get so busy with that and hey - worry is the most useless emotion in the world.

Do not worry that you worried :) You are only human! We humans worry until we learn how tiring it is to worry!

I even have the 2nd wee Ane and I decided to heck with worrying bout that too! :o

As to the shape - perhaps they all go round once coiled - what an intersting question you have posed Ging!

It kind of makes sense they would go roundish once coiled, to me.

I will be speaking with my Neuro dude's nurse this week and will ask that - or perhaps someone else knows and will post.

I think Angio's are so invasive and they have improved the MRA quality all the time - perhaps your IR decided the MRA would be better for you.

Can you ask him why the MRA and not the Angio? I did have angio at the 3 - the 6 and the 12 month intervals the first year and if I could have done MRA's I would have !!!

Your IR sounded so easy going and caring - I am sure he has a good reason.

So don't worry Ging - My IR told me that coiling is as cured as cured can be - now go have fun and throw yourself into life!

I am determined to follow his advice! ( Some days I do amazingly well - some days not as much )

You are always such a sunshiney cheeful soul and I hope you can enjoy your new lease on life - coiled cured and ready to roll!

Big Hugs Ging
    Last edited by TropicalTrish; 03-20-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Tropical Trish
    7mm Basilar Tip~Coiled & Stent Nov4/08 Watch List 2nd Ane
    One of the great labor-saving devices of today is tomorrow!