Thread: Working AfterAneurysm

New Community Member

Default Working AfterAneurysm

hi all, it has been 3 years now since my aneurysm and coiling(16 coils). I now feel well enough to go back to work, but i used to be a mechanic and because of my really bad memory now i feel i cannot do that again, also i think i recall some doctor saying DONT lift heavy weights, wether that still applies i dont know.

Anyhow ive always done manual labour and think maybe its time for a change, but i have no idea what to do, as i have no skills for office work and im not comfortable answering phones, because i struggle to hear what people are saying if i cant see their lips move, yea im weird lol.

I live in the UK and im going to join employment agencies, should i tell employers about my coiling or keep it quiet? And what are the best jobs suited for people like ourselves ?

thnx in adavance

seth.

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Hi Seth,great to hear from you, I and happy you feel ready to re-enter the work force. Maybe you could take some new training that might put you in a different field that might suit your new work levels. I don't know about the heavy lifting, I thought that was just until you were healed and completely recovered from your surgery. , best of luck honey,please stay in touch we love to hear from our members from the old site. ((( hugs))) :) GING

Community Member

Hi Seth, it is good to hear from you and hear that you are doing well. You should ask your Dr about lifting so that you know for sure. You should think about your interests and focus on something you will enjoy. You can get training, I don't know if I would disclose any of your history up front. I don't see how it is their business and no matter what I think you would be unfairly judged. In the US we don't have to disclose this up front. Good luck and keep in touch
    Shelly
    Shelly

Hey Seth in the UK!

It’s good to see you back on BT.

I remember you - we got coiled round the same time :) So glad you are feeling up to getting back into work.

I think you will find there are a lot of things you can do out there and I wish you luck with the agencies. I see no reason why you need to tell them you had a Ane coiled no more than
    you had a broken leg.

Unless they ask you your history of medical procedures it's no one’s beeswax in my opinion.

Apart from my family and my friends on BT - I don’t bother telling anyone.

That's why BT is so darn fine - it gives us all a chance to vent and visit and learn and laugh and empathize and sympathize with others who "get" us :)

Others just don’t understand like someone whose been thru this Ane adventure.

Keep us posted Seth and best of luck in your career hunt!
    Tropical Trish
    7mm Basilar Tip~Coiled & Stent Nov4/08 Watch List 2nd Ane
    One of the great labor-saving devices of today is tomorrow!