Thread: Betsy and I are back

Default Betsy and I are back

We were regulars on this forum until late 2009. We had some abrupt changes. We moved away from the 3rd world back to the good old USA. Betsy is in public school and is happy and healthy. My husband has published an app for iPhones and iPads to help children with their memory skills. It is called simply smarter kids. I would appreciate any feedback. It requires a certain level of motor skills that Betsy lacks. If you or your kids are able to use a touch screen I think you'll enjoy it.
    I'll give an update about the rest of the family in my next post.
    Kimberly

EDIT: We can't allow direct linking to an app that costs money as it's considered 'solicitation of funds'

To find the app visit http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/

then paste simply-smarter-kids-memory/id506554961?mt=8 after the /app/
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 03-18-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Removed direct link

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Kimberly & Betsy))))))

Welcome Back!

So glad that Betsy is doing well. I look forward to your next update.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Thanks, Rose.
    My oldest daughter is finishing up her Master's on the East Coast. She's not sure what her next step will be. She has an important job interview next week. My 2nd daughter is a junior in the same city as her sister, but not close enough to be roommates. Our son is a senior in HS and has been admitted to 4 universities (so far), so he is in the middle of the decision making process. He probably wants to join his sisters back east. It is going to be a big change for us to be alone with Betsy.
    Kim

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Kim))))))

You must be so proud of all of your children! Wow! Such great accomplishments for every one of them!

I'm sure that it will be a big change for you and for Betsy. I imagine that Betsy misses her siblings. But, it could be a beginning for a wonderful time for you and Betsy. A chance to become even closer.

How is school going for Betsy? Is she in a mainstreamed setting? Are you happy with her program, teachers, and services? Many states are cutting back on educational services to balance budgets. I hope you are in a state, where services are intact.

So glad you joined us again. Please keep us updated.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Betsy is happy in school, but I have some concerns. In fact we just signed her IEP yesterday after a lot of discussion and revision. She did 5th grade in a regular elementary school with a 1-on-1 aide and that went pretty well. For 6th grade she was sent to a school with a special ed program. It was fun for her although she really didn't progress academically. This year she is in middle school, at yet another campus. There were a lot of mixups at the beginning of the school year. I had sent a box full of adaptive equipment, diastat, diapers, etc., that got lost for about 3 months. I had also sent her tricycle to school for them to use during PE and recess. Come to find out that they never used it because "the tricycle is not in the middle school curriculum", and they didn't have enouch staff to transfer her from the wheelchair to the trike. so I ended uo sending my 18yo son to school with her to make sure that she gets some exercise. Finally after 6 months she is getting 3 days of trike and 2 of gait trainer for a minimum of 1/2 hour/day.
    Middle school is difficult because they move around from class to class without a 1-on-1. I don't know that she gets much out of it except for the socialization.
    Kim

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome back! I have Cerebral Palsy and after having similar problems in middle school I started homeschooling instead with lots of activities. My grades went WAY UP. Might be something to consider if and only if you have time to teach her at home.