Thread: New Chronic Pain Scale

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Wink New Chronic Pain Scale

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...-probably.html

I think this more clearly defines the parameters.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks for the humor. Rating our pain is always a difficult and touchy things as it factors in our pain tolerance and the perceptions of our doctors. I know one of the issues around here for years was what is a level 10 pain. Earlier pain charts had this as pain so severe you couldn't talk or communicate the pain you were feeling yet many described their pain as a 10. Now 10 seems to be the worse pain you can imagine. My surgeon said it was hard to diagnose me because my pain tolerance was so high so I would always rate my pain low and ignore much of the pain I was feeling. My wife had an uncle that couldn't feel pain of any kind. Others are out of action with pain many of us would consider lower level pain yet they can't function with that pain level. Scientist have been working on an objective way to rate pain but I haven't heard if anyone in the medical field is using it. Oh well, pain for us is here today, something we went through yesterday, and something that will impact our lives tomorrow.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life