Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vision problems?

Default vision problems?

Does anyone out there have problems with their vision? I'm doing OK with the MS, other than being in a wheelchair, but I have almost double vision. Its not optic neuritis (sp), just double vision. I want to know if people have this and what can be done, if anything to help, like getting glasses. Like I said, I'm at a good place with the MS, just my vision is bad. Recently starting driving again, after 3 years, would really hate to have to give that up. Thanks

mark s.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Double vision is common with MS. I've had it but each time it didn't last long. It shows up on eye tests sometimes though when I'm at the eye doctor's.

My left eye wanders off center, and when that's going on, vision is blurry in that eye--or double. You might want to take a close look at your eyes at various times and note if one or both is "off course."

I've heard of quite a few people using prism lenses to correct double vision. You can find out more here:

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/doub...osis-treatment
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Sorry to hear that Mark. I've heard of the prizm lenses, Agate refers to. Also I wonder if lazer surgery could be an answer? See your Optho asap.

Here's hoping it's a temporary problem and you will be better soon..(((Hugs)))
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I have double vision problems also. It started years ago and has never completely gone away. I see double whenever I look to the left and also when my eyes are fatigued or over stimulated. I can no longer drive because of it and it is uncomfortable even riding in a car as a passenger. The movement of things passing by causes me to quickly see double. I usually close or cover one eye when that happens. People think I'm winking at them! Patching one eye, pirate style, would work too. Aaarrrhh!

I see fine with just one eye, but I have to admit there are blind spots when using only one eye so I don't feel safe driving. I couldn't live with myself if I harmed someone in an accident. My neurologist explained that my eye muscles are not working together in unison, which is why I see double. I was told I could do eye exercises to try to strengthen the muscles, sort of a physical therapy for the eyes, to see if that would help. It hasn't. I don't feel it's a matter of weak eye muscles, but rather, slowed nerve transmission to the muscles of one eye or the other that prevents the eyes from working in sync.

Hope your double vision simply goes away. I know how annoying it can be to deal with.

I too have had double vision off and on. For me it usually lasts a month or so. It's annoying as hell but except for driving you can do everything. I can even drive with one eye closed or covered. But as nuthatch said, there are blind spots. So, I rarely drive when I have it.

If the double vision is constant and always the same special glasses may help. But if it is worse at some times and better at others glasses will be hard to fit. But if you have had this double vision for a long time it is worth a shot. Life is so much simpler and enjoyable when you are mobile.

Good luck!!!
    MaryLiz

Distinguished Community Member

I have double vision which gest worse when I'm tired or stressed. I also have Nystagmus-jiggly vision. If I am walking or driving on a bumpy road my vision bounces around. Very disconcerting.

I have a detachable prism on one lens of my prescription glasses. Doc didn't want to grind it into lens because my vision changes.

I had an appt at MS clinic last week. The vision issues are not new for me but have gotten worse. My eyes don't work together. I guess it has to do with cerebellum and is related to my tremor which continues to get worse. I tried eye exercises last year with local ophthalmologist. It didn't help and just a few minutes absolutely wiped me out. When I told doc at MS Clinic she said that was expected. Eye exercise aren't going to help and they didn't. I gave up after six months.

She suggested neuro ophthalmologist may have some tips.

Optic neuritis was my presenting symptom 13 years ago. It did resolve. This is frustrating. I was teaching last week (I just do a few hours) and was doing a worksheet where I would read a question and students would repeat for the intonation. I couldn't see. I was skipping lines... Sigh.

It is best when I am well rested and the light is just right.

I wish I had more to offer apart from empathy. It sucks.
    ~Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

Unfortunately my double vivsion is here to stay. It doesn't come and go, its always here. Saw an optomitrist(sp) yesterday, and she looked at the glasses I recently got and said they were basically the best lenses I could have for my situation. She didn't feel she could do anything to improve them. So, I'm stuck with what I have. I don't drive very far from home, or at night. But at least I can still drive sometimes.

mark s

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

You should probably see an Neuro/Opthomologist, for the best advise, Mark.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default visual problems

I've had visual oddities off and on for 20 years. often they are very disruptive to daily life. For the last 4 months I have had double vision which I minimize by keeping one eye closed. I often wear a patch. Lately I have double vision and random vertigo (positional vertigo) and do the following exercises from the Mayo Clinic. They immediately started helping te double vision.
    Good luck.

Exercises to Help Positional Vertigo
    Aug 8, 2010 | By Carol Sarao
    Photo Credit merry-go-round image by Jorge Moro from Fotolia.com
    Vertigo is a type of dizziness that involves the feeling of motion--that either you or your surroundings are spinning. In benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, symptoms are triggered by changes in the position of your head. Mayo Clinic says that although BPPV is rarely dangerous, it can lead to falls, and notes that you should see your doctor if you have unexplained vertigo lasting for over a week, trouble speaking, chest pains or leg or arm weakness. Exercises may help alleviate positional vertigo. Before beginning them, consult your doctor.

Eye Movements
    To begin this exercise, suggested by Medicine Net, sit comfortably in a chair or in bed. Look up and then down, very slowly at first, then increasing in speed. Next, look back and forth, changing your gaze slowly from one side of the room to the other, then making your eyes travel more quickly from side to side. Finally, look up and down diagonally, following an imaginary slanting line across your field of vision, starting out slowly and then making the eye movements more rapid. When you are comfortable doing these exercises sitting down, you should try them standing up.

Thumb Focus
    While seated, hold your thumb 2 feet in front of your face at eye level, and focus your eyes on it. While still gazing at your thumb, turn your head from right to left, then left to right, then nod your head up and down. Start with slow, deliberate movements, then gradually increase the speed of the positional changes of your head, keeping your eyes focussed on your thumb the entire time. The American Association of Family Physicians recommends doing this exercise for 90 seconds at a time, and repeating it four times a day.

Head Movements
    Keeping your eyes open, move your head forward and then backward by slowly moving your chin towards your chest, then rolling your head back. Increase the speed of the motion until you are performing the exercise rapidly. Next turn your head from side to side, eyes wide open, beginning slowly and then moving more quickly. **** your head sideways to the left and then the right, beginning slowly and increasing the speed, then move your head up and down diagonally to both sides, making the shape of two strokes of a "V," beginning gradually and increasing the tempo of the movements as you go. After completing this series of movements, Medicine Net recommends repeating all four of them with your eyes closed.

Positional Changes Exercise
    Begin by sitting in a chair, then rise to a standing position. Sit back down in the chair, and close your eyes. Then stand up fully erect, this time with your eyes closed. Next, move to a bed, and lie down, then get up as quickly as possible without falling. The American Association of Family Physicians suggests getting up toward both the right and left sides, five times per side, and performing this exercise in two 5-minute sessions twice a day.

Tightrope Walk
    Walk a straight line by placing your heel directly in front of the toes of the opposite foot. The American Association of Family Physicians suggests doing this exercise in a place that has a railing, or in a narrow hallway so you can support yourself, if necessary, with the wall. For half an hour a day, practice walking 10 consecutive heel-to-toe stops without using any physical support.

Throwing Exercises
    Start out standing up, with your hands above eye level, shoulder width apart, grasping a small ball in your left hand. Toss the ball to your right hand, and then back to your left hand. As tossing and catching the ball begins to feel more natural, you can move your arms farther apart to make the throw longer. Next, repeat the tossing and catching with your hands below knee level. Practice the exercise 5 to 10 minutes per day.

References
    Medicine Net: Vertigo--Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
    American Association of Family Physicians: Vertigo? A Type of Dizziness
    Mayo Clinic: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertig
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

thanks Linda, I'll give these a try.

mark s
    Last edited by MS w/MS; 03-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast