Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonoscopies when you are taking pain meds for chronic pain

Hi gang,
    Was just wondering, I just got my reminder I need to go in for a colonoscopy. The last one did not go well and the doc advised that instead of using the demerol and versed like they did last time(even though I don't remember due to Versed, he said I writhed in pain and did not tolerate the procedure well.)

He said this time I probably need anesthesia. He thinks my using chronic pain meds has altered my pain threshold or perception but he said I was writhing so much it made it difficult for him to do the exam.

Was wondering if anyone else using daily meds for chronic pain ever had problem with a colonoscopy and you if you did, what did you do.
    I have never had anesthesia before and am a bit concerned.
    Thanks, Diandra

I can't chime in from personal experience so hopefully someone does that soon, but my first guess was that they didn't take enough into consideration your opiate tolerance (for the Demerol dose). But yes, opiates also lower your pain threshold and increase your perception of it. Same with how Fentanyl is often used in procedures for sedation and an opiate tolerant patient would need a lot more (and may also just not respond to it, especially if that was what they used for pain). I would have the doctor who prescribes your meds and the doctor doing the colonoscopy talk (or at least have the pain doc have you give a letter to give to the colonoscopy doc after you relay this info to them). Its definitely something to plan for since you already know this information.

Any pain patient on opiates should get their doctors to communicate on issues such as opiate tolerance before a surgery or procedure such as this. I'm no doctor but I wonder if there are more than these two options? Consulting with the anesthesiologist may also be a good idea to see what your options are based on their comfort level with different meds and techniques. Not sure if there is an option to give more of those meds (or add another one or swap them for something) and only go to general if needed, or use Propofol, although Versed with Fentanyl seems to be the most common. Best wishes.
    Kate
    Constant headache for 10 years and other chronic health issues

Comment

I can't believe you weren't heavily sedated, I was OUT. Why are you having another one Are you having problems that warrant it ? I'll tell you, I wouldn't go through that again unless I was having intestinal issues. It's been 6 months since I had mine, first time, and have had more issues since.

This is just MY honest opinion. I don't like doctors. I think too many unneccessary procedures are done to too many unsuspecting schnooks. I walked into that one just by accident.

Comment

Diandra, sorry to hear about the last one being so bad but at least you don't remember. I don't know about the answer for you but I would get the name of the dr doing the anesthesia and talk to him/her about your meds and what you need to do heading into the scope. I hope it goes much better this time.
        1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
        2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

Diandra I think you will be just fine. Being out is better than going through it again. They knocked out my oldest son because of med issues and his anxiety.

Will you be taking someone with you? Having someone with you can be very comforting and most definitely talk to your anesthesiologist about any fears you might have. You should get a chance to before they do the procedure. Write down any questions you have.

Sometimes the medical community just doesn't get it that those of us who take pain and psych meds develop a bit of a change in our chemical make up and things should be made to accomodate those changes.

You are going to be just fine. They do this type of stuff all the time in all kinds of situations. I know that isn't much of a comfort but it is true.

Comment

I have had 3 colonoscopys. I told the anesthesiologist of the meds I take which included opoid meds and muscle relaxers, etc. He said no problems and used what ever was necessary. I was out like a light every time and felt nothing. I had no problems at all. If you felt anything at all, the anesthesiologist didn't do his job right. The last time they asked if I use a c-pap machine. I was told to bring mine along in case I couldn't fall asleep with out it. I didn't need it at all.
            Think not that you are limited because of what you cannot do, but think instead of all you have, the talents God has given you. " D. De Haan "

Comment

Why does someone ask a question, get 4 answers, but never replys back ? This could be the reason that so few get involved anymore.
              Think not that you are limited because of what you cannot do, but think instead of all you have, the talents God has given you. " D. De Haan "

Comment

could be they are still kinda out of it or whatever. I know I often sleep a lot after one. And also we don't know anyone else here circumstances. Might be they will check in later. I hope with good news myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Burr View Post
                  Why does someone ask a question, get 4 answers, but never replys back ? This could be the reason that so few get involved anymore.
                  Burr, I did answer, a very long winded answer and when I submitted it, for some reason it disappeared and I did not have the energy to input it again and I have very little time/energy to spend on the forums of late. I generally answer promptly and have been a very active and supportive member of this board going on 10 years.Next time, before you enter a negative post like this, count to ten before doing so and rethink it. It is counter productive. We are here to help each other. Diandra

Comment

Burr, I know in my case it is because I am in one of my "lost days" sleeping it away or being in so much pain I can't get back on the computer. Once in a great while, I am having a good day and I am busy doing things for a change. It does help to respond to the responses but there are a number of things that interrupt doing it.
                    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
                    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

Diandra,
                      I'm sorry that you were offended by my question and opinion. If you were hurt in any way, I apologise. It was just meant as a reminder to all of us. As far as being counter productive, I don't think so.
                      I don't spend a lot of time on the computer, but I do know that a newbie sometimes feels like because they are newbie people will ignore their posts. I have seen this happen on other boards also. It was just a reminder. I just know from here on, I have to watch what I post.

Originally posted by Diandra View Post
                      Burr, I did answer, a very long winded answer and when I submitted it, for some reason it disappeared and I did not have the energy to input it again and I have very little time/energy to spend on the forums of late. I generally answer promptly and have been a very active and supportive member of this board going on 10 years.Next time, before you enter a negative post like this, count to ten before doing so and rethink it. It is counter productive. We are here to help each other. Diandra

Comment

My last scope did not go well either but mine was an endo scope. When the doc walked into the room, the nurse asked if wanted to use Demerol with the other med and he said no and I was mostl fully conscious and fought them the whole time. They kept yelling at me telling me to relax, yeah let me stick this down your throat and tell you to relax!! I will NEVER have another scope without being properly medicated. I had a bronchoscopy and I know they had to use a ton of fentanyl because of what I am on and I had no problems. So if they cannot convince you you will be out with just sedation, I would seriously consider general anesthesia.
                        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Dx: Cancer(stage 3 Melanoma), Sarcoidosis, Chronic Kidney Stones, Endometriosis(post hysterectomy), DDD, Fibromyalgia Raynards, Hypermobility Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, TMJ, Neuromas, PTSD, Coccydynia

Comment

My doc puts everyone OUT because he says he doesn't want a paitent bouncing around on the table and running the risk of a perferation. Makes sense to me.

Comment

Burr at one time I felt as you do, this before I got TOTALLY debilitated some days I have NO energy. I did not understand and asked the same questions you are. From the reply's, and the fact that my own condition has worsened, I get it now and hope you will too (just the understanding, I would not wish my conditons on Anyone) - I have days where I do nothing just happy to have my Kitty and loving S/O, also a cp'er. So, bottom line, sometimes we are just too consumed by what ails us - I am sure most of us, like me, do try to post and reply but sometimes, we do not have the energy or able to form a thoughful reply - or , we just don;t know what to say.
                            Blessings
                            Alex44
                            skypilot

Comment

A thought My S/O had a colonoscopy w/ NO Anesthesia the do just put her on the table and procedded with the procedure. My S/O is one tough cookie, but in my eyes, had it been me, well, I like being on the board so i will leave it at that.
                              Thoughts
                              Blessings
                              Alex44
                              Skypilot

Comment

Working...
                              X