Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopies when you are taking pain meds for chronic pain

Community Member

Diandra,
    I'm sorry that you were offended by my question and opinion. If you were hurt in any way, I apologise. It was just meant as a reminder to all of us. As far as being counter productive, I don't think so.
    I don't spend a lot of time on the computer, but I do know that a newbie sometimes feels like because they are newbie people will ignore their posts. I have seen this happen on other boards also. It was just a reminder. I just know from here on, I have to watch what I post.

Quote Originally Posted by Diandra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burr, I did answer, a very long winded answer and when I submitted it, for some reason it disappeared and I did not have the energy to input it again and I have very little time/energy to spend on the forums of late. I generally answer promptly and have been a very active and supportive member of this board going on 10 years.Next time, before you enter a negative post like this, count to ten before doing so and rethink it. It is counter productive. We are here to help each other. Diandra
    Think not that you are limited because of what you cannot do, but think instead of all you have, the talents God has given you. " D. De Haan "

My last scope did not go well either but mine was an endo scope. When the doc walked into the room, the nurse asked if wanted to use Demerol with the other med and he said no and I was mostl fully conscious and fought them the whole time. They kept yelling at me telling me to relax, yeah let me stick this down your throat and tell you to relax!! I will NEVER have another scope without being properly medicated. I had a bronchoscopy and I know they had to use a ton of fentanyl because of what I am on and I had no problems. So if they cannot convince you you will be out with just sedation, I would seriously consider general anesthesia.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Dx: Cancer(stage 3 Melanoma), Sarcoidosis, Chronic Kidney Stones, Endometriosis(post hysterectomy), DDD, Fibromyalgia Raynards, Hypermobility Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, TMJ, Neuromas, PTSD, Coccydynia

My doc puts everyone OUT because he says he doesn't want a paitent bouncing around on the table and running the risk of a perferation. Makes sense to me.

Distinguished Community Member

Burr at one time I felt as you do, this before I got TOTALLY debilitated some days I have NO energy. I did not understand and asked the same questions you are. From the reply's, and the fact that my own condition has worsened, I get it now and hope you will too (just the understanding, I would not wish my conditons on Anyone) - I have days where I do nothing just happy to have my Kitty and loving S/O, also a cp'er. So, bottom line, sometimes we are just too consumed by what ails us - I am sure most of us, like me, do try to post and reply but sometimes, we do not have the energy or able to form a thoughful reply - or , we just don;t know what to say.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    skypilot

Distinguished Community Member

A thought My S/O had a colonoscopy w/ NO Anesthesia the do just put her on the table and procedded with the procedure. My S/O is one tough cookie, but in my eyes, had it been me, well, I like being on the board so i will leave it at that.
    Thoughts
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Diandra did I miss it somehow? Prolly lol. How did it go? I hope well. Guess I been gone awhile too. Too much mentally going on and throw in trying to keep my pain at a tolerable level 6 keeps me busy lol.

I hope you are doing well Diandra.

Quote Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Diandra did I miss it somehow? Prolly lol. How did it go? I hope well. Guess I been gone awhile too. Too much mentally going on and throw in trying to keep my pain at a tolerable level 6 keeps me busy lol.

I hope you are doing well Diandra.
    No, you didn't miss anything...this is just an older post. I had the colonoscopy almost 6 months ago and they did give me anesthesia and it went fine. Thanks for asking though. Hope you are doing Ok.
    Diandra
    P.S. Love the pumpkin!

Interestingly, I always request that some pain meds be given, but very little or no versed. I want to be awake during the procedure so I can watch the monitor and see what's going on. I have a great doc, that usually does whatever I want. Now when it comes to EGDs, I don't want to know, or remember any of it!

Brion, you are a brave guy. I find the colonoscopies painful so I was glad when they gave me anesthesia.
    What is an EGD?
    Take care....it is so great you are back.
    Diandra

After deciding to try and not use any kind of sedation for things because it is very hard on my body and it takes me forever to recover, my pulmo wants to do another bronch. There is no way I can do that awake so he is going to sedate me. I really dislike it and wish I could be tough enough to go without one. But he promised me he'd go through the mouth instead of the nose which freaks me out.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Dx: Cancer(stage 3 Melanoma), Sarcoidosis, Chronic Kidney Stones, Endometriosis(post hysterectomy), DDD, Fibromyalgia Raynards, Hypermobility Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, TMJ, Neuromas, PTSD, Coccydynia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast