Thread: Living Options for Young Adults with Physical Disabilities

New Community Member

Default Living Options for Young Adults with Physical Disabilities

I did post this on the FB page but not everyone is on there so I thought it wouldn't hurt to repost here too:)

I have not posted here in forever but I do lurk when time allows, which at this point in my college career is pretty much never. I am nearly half way through my final semester of college and will earn my BA in English and a Certificate in Writing at the end of April! I am SO ready to be done with school but am having a very difficult time with the whole finding a job issue because of my personal care issues. I cannot cook, drive, or do basic first aid for myself and will always need some type of PCA care.

I can't seem to figure out what to do because I can't take a job without my living arrangements set and I can't decide where to live without a job lined up. Talk about a catch-22! I've looked into assisted living facilities but they hardly ever take young adults and I can't afford them; Medicaid doesn't pay for it either. Group homes really don't fit my situation as I am pretty independent and very high-functioning.

I'm at a loss and I feel stuck by my own body with no way of using my education. I fear becoming depressed after graduation because I have to move home with no prospects. Plus, though my parents support and agree to take care of me but I think living with them will drive me nuts if I have to do it indefinitely! Love them to death but after living away from home for 2 school years, I have gotten used to my independence.

Not sure if anyone has any advice but I thought it never hurts to ask:). I have done a ton of research over spring break with no results:(

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by skigirl1689 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did post this on the FB page but not everyone is on there so I thought it wouldn't hurt to repost here too:)

I have not posted here in forever but I do lurk when time allows, which at this point in my college career is pretty much never. I am nearly half way through my final semester of college and will earn my BA in English and a Certificate in Writing at the end of April! I am SO ready to be done with school but am having a very difficult time with the whole finding a job issue because of my personal care issues. I cannot cook, drive, or do basic first aid for myself and will always need some type of PCA care.

I can't seem to figure out what to do because I can't take a job without my living arrangements set and I can't decide where to live without a job lined up. Talk about a catch-22! I've looked into assisted living facilities but they hardly ever take young adults and I can't afford them; Medicaid doesn't pay for it either. Group homes really don't fit my situation as I am pretty independent and very high-functioning.

I'm at a loss and I feel stuck by my own body with no way of using my education. I fear becoming depressed after graduation because I have to move home with no prospects. Plus, though my parents support and agree to take care of me but I think living with them will drive me nuts if I have to do it indefinitely! Love them to death but after living away from home for 2 school years, I have gotten used to my independence.

Not sure if anyone has any advice but I thought it never hurts to ask:). I have done a ton of research over spring break with no results:(

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Reply: One thing you could do is to rent an apartment and use a medical services agency to hire caregivers by the hour to come in as you need them.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Rebecca))))))

Welcome back home!

Congratulations on your degree and certificate! What a fantastic accomplishment!

I have some basic questions for you:

1. Do you know where you want to live (state, city, etc.)?
    2. Are you familiar with the social services available in that location?
    3. What kind of job are you seeking?
    4. Does your college offer career counseling or any services for students with disabilities regarding transition?
    5. Does your state offer the In Home Supportive Services program?

Sometimes you can uncover social services programs, which are kept well hidden, if you really dig. Start by looking them up in the phone book under "County Government," and call any and all appropriate-sounding departments to inquire about services, which will help you.

Think about a shared living arrangement, not a group home, but roommates. Connect with a couple of other students, with or without disabling conditions, and live together in an apartment. Share expenses, as well as space.

Finding a job in this economic market is tough, especially fresh out of college. Perhaps one avenue for you to pursue would be employment with disabled rights organizations, or any kind of agency or organization focused on persons with disabilities. I am thinking that you would find a better attitude and greater understanding and accommodation in those employment venues. That doesn't mean excluding other options, of course.

Please don't feel defeated if you need to move in with your parents for awhile before you are able to establish yourself independently. Unfortunately, our economy has placed many young college graduates in that situation. And like you, I'm sure that they all love their parents dearly, but do not want to live with them indefinitely! :)

With all of your success in college, I have no doubt that you will succeed in your career path and independence. Be patient and keep thinking outside of the box. Tap on all of the available resources in your area for assistance and guidance. You will find your way.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

Congratulations on your degree! Yes, it sucks to move back with parents after being in college (I speak from experience here, lol!). Do they live in an area where you would be able to find a job and then move out on your own once you get settled into a new job? Can't think of any other advice to add to the great ideas Rose already offered...

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Wow, it's been ages since I've been here. Surprised I remember my login details!

I have moved out of home and into a hall (dorm) really recently - about a month ago - as my parents are moving to Australia! It is catered so I don't have to worry about cooking. It's so great to be able to come and go from the campus as I please, I am loving the indepedence.

I know your situation is different since you've nearly graduated but I know here they still offer some self catered apartments to people who are not studying. Obviously they may not do the same there but worth asking??

Else you could start the hunt for a suitable flat. Maybe ask some friends if they know any around the area?

Good luck!

New Community Member

You may want to turn to the Center for Independent Living. Here is a link to the website and then you can choose which state etc

Distinguished Community Member

Dear Rebecca,

Congratulations on your university achievements. That is fantastic!

As we live in Australia, there is not much we can offer except to say best wishes with your plans and may your plans be 100% successful.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

New Community Member

Hello everyone!

I apologize for completely forgetting about this thread! I wrote it over my spring break, then classes got crazy, my aunt/godmother passed away just before Easter (cancer), traveled 1,200 miles (driving) in three days to attend her funeral, returned to school for a week and a half, and then moved home! So it has taken a while to get readjusted to life without classes, at home without a lot of outside interaction besides church.

As for the job situation, it is currently stalled because we need to figure out what to do about insurance before I start any type of work because if I work for 9 months, even if it is nonconsecutive, I lose my insurance (Medicaid). So my vocational rehab counselor is supposed to be working on figuring out what options there are.

My parents are thinking of retiring in a different area so hopefully then we'll have a lot more options. Where we live now just doesn't have a lot to offer, employment wise or housing wise. The only reason we are here (northern Michigan) is because my dad took a better position here in the company he worked for...otherwise we might still be in Indiana. Growing up here wasn't bad, there's just no opportunity here for the younger generation.

Thanks for all the advice and congratulations!

Rebecca
    Last edited by skigirl1689; 06-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.